1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Why did Saqlain Mushtaq retire so early??

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Major, Jan 2, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    First of all let me tell you guys one thing, that i started following cricket after 2007, before that i was not really interested in cricket.

So today i was just going through saqlain mushtaq's cricinfo profile and saw his age was 34 and the last game he played was in 2003-2004, and at that time he was 27-28 years old.

Why did he retire so early, was he sacked by the PCB?????

I think he is the bowling coach for new zealand.

I also remember some years ago, he was allowed to play for england, and he was a probable for the england squad.

2. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    He is out of forum

3. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Apparently he was really good at the start but then lost his touch towards the latter part of his career so they rested him for a while. His replacement (Kaneria) turned out to be a pretty decent bowler at that time and was considered a pakistani equivalent to warne. So all these things took saqlain out of favour... pretty sad considering his stats.
    Then some bust ups with the PCB meant he couldn't return to Pak team

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Saqlain didn't retire early, in fact I dont think he's officially retired from international cricket at all.

After the 2003 World Cup, the Pakistan team was full of players from the nineties, many of whom were over the hill. However these weren't just any players, these were the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Mushy, Moin, etc.

There weren't many men strong enough to withstand the political pressure that would be applied if the PCB tried to drop any of the above guys. One of the guys who was strong enough was Aamir Sohail and so he was appointed the Chief Selector.

Aamir did what was required, he got rid of all the big names but he went a lot further than what was needed. He even got rid of guys like Anwar, Saqlain, Inzamam, Nazir, Afridi and Elahi who could've (and in some cases did) carried on playing.

Saqlain was one of the guys that Aamir got rid of in 2003.

Saqi did get another chance but it was on a really flat pitch and he took a real pounding. At the same time Kaneria was taking lots of wickets in Tests and Malik and Hafeez were doing the job in ODIs plus they were seen as batsmen too.

So Saqi got sidelined for a few years. During that time he ended up having operations on both his knees and was never the same again.

In May 2008 Saqi qualified to play for England. However we never found out if England would've picked him because Saqi joined the ICL and got banned from international cricket! By the time the ICL disbanded and Saqi was cleared to play international cricket, he wasnt even playing county cricket anymore.

So ended the career of Saqlain Mushtaq, one of the deadliest death bowlers in the history of the game.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    so sad bruv... so sad :(

6. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    Poor end of saqi and mushi carrier

7. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    thx for explaining it MERC

In my opinion i think this was not fair for Saqlain, i think he deserved more respect, then what he got.
    Really sad how this guy was treated, the guy who started the trend of doosra getting sacked like that.

Is this guy still with New zeland, i remember last year, he got alot of new guys drafted in for NZ

8. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    Saqi was finished off by multiple factors - some his fault and others not:

1) he wasn't a casualty of the 2003 world cup. by the 2003 world cup, he already wasn't being selected regularly in the ODI team. check the world cup. he didn't even play all the games. there was talk that he might not even go to the world cup. all this was pretty pathetic especially when you consider what ended up happening. Pakistan didn't play Saqi against australia and India - both times our bowling failed us. we only played with 3 real bowlers and played two relokattas - Afraidi and razzaq - who cannot be counted to deliver with either bat or ball consistently. we could have really used Saqi against Aus and India when our bowling was getting tonked.

I remember that Saqi wasn't playing leading into the world cup when Bari was selector. and eventually Saqi got a game and being the champ that he was he put in a magnificent performance with the ball and as a fielder. then someone asked Bari if he saw Saqi's performance. Bari barked back that he didn't need to be told what a class act Saqi was. regardless, the team management was not picking Saqi in the 11 on a regular basis.

why? because Afraidi was being preferred over him due to the Afraidi's "batting". this was an awful selection. I don't understand how someone like Afraidi could ever be selected over Saqi - who was the smartest bowler in the team after the great Wasim. but he was dropped. Saqi even out of form was on another planet as a bowler.

[SIDE RANT}
    of course, once aamer Sohail the ganja ****** took over, he sacked Saqi along with the rest of the seniors post 2003 world cup which was a horrible decision. I don't understand how they could have made someone as ******ed as Sohail the chief selector. he clearly hated Wasim, Waqar & co. they somewhat unfairly dropped him from the team due to the matchfixing fiasco. so when Tauqeer zia wants to get rid of the seniors he goes and finds Sohail because the latter has an agenda against these players. and voila. Sohail drops all of them.

in retrospect, none of the players who were dropped deserved to be dropped. Wasim could have played the 2007 world cup if he wanted to. he was our best bowler in the 2003 world cup as well. he was doing just fine. initially dropping Waqar looked like a good decision because Akhtar and Sami did well initially but pretty soon our fast bowling stocks started looking pretty thin if anyone cares to remember. Waqar was pushed out too early. there is no way in hell that Saqi was finished. since Saeed was forced to retire we haven't found one decent opening batsman. over the years we have had the worst opening batsmen of any international test team. Saeed was dropped way too early as well.

aamer Sohail's hatchet job hurt Pakistan cricket imo until Inzi and Bob took over and brought some calm to the ship.
    [/SIDE RANT]

2) Saqi's fitness troubles which were accelerated by his county stints where he bowled like a machine. here he was at fault and the board. Saqi was a star bowler - a once in a generation player. the PCB should have put in workload stipulations in his contract. and Saqi should have known better as well. these county stints destroyed his knees.

3) much is made about the Multan test. I wouldn't have dropped Saqi even if he bowled like that for 10 matches after Multan. Saqi was our biggest matchwinner with the ball after Wasim late 90s onwards. he was a magnificent bowler. he was light years ahead of Kaneria. he deserved to be backed. it's almost like they summoned him to Multan, made him bowl on a dead pitch to get the excuse they needed to finish him off.

regarding his fitness troubles, they weren't worse than Akhtar's mostly self-inflicted troubles. but as usual the PCB didn't help him. the only bowler I can remember that the PCB has helped is Akhtar and that too because that Tauqeer Zia ****** had a gay crush on Akhtar. otherwise the PCB always abandons its players in need.

ps. the same thing that happened to Saqi is happening right now to Saeed Ajmal. the guy is clearly the best bowler in the team. but Afraidi keeps dropping him. it boggles my mind that Afraidi plays in the team ahead of a class act like Saeed. unbelievable!

9. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    btw, we're making the same mistake going into this world cup that we made in 2003. Razzaq is not a bowler any more. any good batting team will murder him especially on easy pitches.. put him in front of India in the subcontinent and see what they do to him. either play him as a pure batsman. or if he insists on being counted as an allrounder, play only one of Afridi/Razzaq. we cannot afford to play both. playing both screws up the balance of the side.

10. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    and that is why i always like ur post:D

u are 100% right about that, because both razzaq and afridi are the same, both will bat good once in every 20 games.

I also think ur rite that, if they want to send razzaq in the world cup, send him in as a batsman only, his bowling will be no help on the dead rubber pitches, especially in srilanka where all of our games will be played.

11. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    so you can say that today the reason of Pakistan cricket is suffereing is mostly cause of aamir sohail??

this is what i read on cricinfo: He captained Pakistan at the height of the match-fixing controversy, and was one of the whistle-blowers.

So when he was named selector he was taking his revenge????????????
    He was not playing the world cup final of 1999
    and also when he was named our national selector, his age was 35-36.

No wonder why we don't have young workers for the PCB now a days.

12. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    I wouldn't say that we're suffering today because of Sohail. he definitely screwed us for a few years after 2003. people tend to forget that our bowling apart from Akhtar was considered pretty lightweight for a few years until Asif and Aamer came along. this was because bowlers like Wasim and Saqlain were packed off way too early. or they weren't given the support they needed in case of Saqlain. it's just my opinion that Sohail had motivation to screw Wasim, Waqar, etc since Wasim etc screwed Sohail in the late 90s when he should have still been in the team but they kept him out by making Afridi open.

having said that the real reason why we're screwed today is because of matchfixing and that the board didn't take any action against the guilty players. and when you talk of matchfixing we all know who the culprits are. Sohail was a whistleblower along with Rashid - he wasn't one of the fixers. but that is a separate debate altogether.

ironically, Sohail's career was finished off by making Afridi open which was a miserable failure by and large. but Wasim, Waqar, Saeed, etc insisted on making afridi open because the alternative was to bring sohail back into the team which they didn't want 'cause everyone hated Sohail.

so, in a way, Sohail was robbed off his place due to the seniors' insistence on playing Afridi as an opener to keep Sohail out despite the fact that Sohail while no Saeed Anwar was still a million times better than Afridi. eventually, Saqlain was dropped due to the seniors' insistence on playing Afridi as the sole spinner despite the fact that Saqi was a million times better than Afridi. and now, seems like Saeed Ajmal will be sidelined over time due to Afridi's insistence on picking himself as the no 1 spinner in the team despite the fact that Saeed is the best bowler in the team. guess there is no justice in the world.

13. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    also Sohail wasn't in the 99 world cup squad. he was dropped from the team around 97 and then only made sporadic appearances here and there. he was briefly made captain when Majid Khan was CEO. Majid wanted to clean up the team but wasn't able to. soon after Majid left, Sohail lost the captaincy and his spot pretty much for good. his last game I believe was in 2000 or 2001 when he was recalled but he was way over the hill by then. his last series was against Lanka I believe and this is the same series that Younis debuted in. Saeed was captain if memory serves me right.

14. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    what i feeel at that tym there was a lot of groupism going on... saqlain was a big part of akram group... he was well supported in akrams reign... actually i think akram was the only captain who knew how to use saqi... captains after him never used saqi with confidence and the way he shud have been treated...... also the way akram used razzaq none did it..... other big reason was shoaib malik...he bowled and bat really well at that tym but after he made changes to his action he sucked big tym....

15. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Agreed and we are still feeling the effects of that Post-2003 World Cup cull today.

16. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    saqlain is easily the greatest off spinner ever!!!!!!! Some clown in the PCB thought that malik was a better alternative to saqlain.afridi wasn't a good spinner till about 2007.

17. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    If we leave Razzaq and Afridi out of the side we are pretty much playing all newbies and inexperienced players.

Looking at the last few ODIs we played and taking Razzaq and Afridi out of the side we have pretty much a team with loads of inexperienced players who have hardly played any international cricket in the sub continent pitches like Sri Lanka where most of our games are.(the last few ODIs we played are a good indicator of our WC squad but with Pakistan it could be an entirely new XI)

Shahzaib Hasan - very new on the international circuit with lack of experience
    Mohammad Hafeez - on good form but just made a comeback
    Younis Khan - Been out of cricket for a while but has experience and a good leader
    Mohammad Yousuf - again has experience but isnt in the NZ squad so might not get picked
    Fawad Alam - lacks experience
    Umar Akmal - again lacks experience
    Wahab Riaz - new to the side
    Abdur Rehman - could be ideal but hasnt got too much experienced internationally
    Akhtar - will his body hold for another few months??
    Tanvir Ahmed - new to the side
    Sohail Tanvir - hasnt played internationally for over a year.
    Asad Shafique - just came into the side.

While im guessing alot of these guys will make up the WC Squad there is a real lack of experience and while both Afridi and Razzaq are hit and miss in the batting department they both like subcontinent conditions where they can just smash the ball without too much movement off the pitch. At the end of the day we have a talented squad but most of these guys are new to the side or making a comeback so it wouldnt be ideal for us to leave out Afridi and Razzaq as they have both played a few match winning knocks this year by batting and bowling.

edit: forgot to mention Gul and Ajmal who both have a guaranteed spot to the WC and rightly so.

18. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    we should go on with razzaq and afridi on subcontinent pitches..... becuz these two can make a hell lot of difference in the last 10-15 overs.... the other middle order players should just make sure they carry on till 35th over and provide these two power hitter with a nice platform...... i dun care even if the run rate is around 4 from over no. 15-35.... just make goood partnerships.... and then leave the rest on bowlers..... pak got quite a formidable attack in bowling...