Whatmore said bowl like in Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 24, 2012.

Whatmore said bowl like in Sri Lanka

by Abdul Habib
Apr 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    mohammad-irfan-dav-whatmore-saeed-ajmal.png

Lahore: 7 players reported to the NCA today to undergo strict fitness tests. Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Yousuf, Sohail Tanvir, Aizaz Cheema and Mohammad Irfan were the ones tested.

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com, Mohammad Irfan said "It was hard work for all of us and we were really put us through our paces today. From what I observed we all passed and did well overall. It was good to see Yousuf bhai and he looked to be really fit, he has obviously been keeping in shape."

I congratulated Irfan on his performance and asked him what areas he was told that he (personally) needed to improve in, Irfan replied "I was told that I needed to work on my agility which will help in my fielding."

Irfan is currently staying in Lahore and attending the National Cricket Academy to work on his fitness and bowling. Standing at 6 foot 10 inches tall, Irfan always stands out to anyone who passes him by but earlier this month he stood out to new coach Dav Whatmore for an entirely different reason.

Whatmore had been part of the Kolkata Knight Riders coaching squad when Irfan went to Sri Lanka for his KKR trials. In fact Whatmore and the KKR coaching team had been so impressed with Irfan's bowling that they had signed him up on the spot.

However due to the ongoing issues between the PCB and the BCCI, no Pakistani players are taking part in the IPL and so Irfan never got to play.

When Whatmore saw Irfan at the NCA he remembered him from the KKR trials and asked him about what had been happening in his life.

"He (Whatmore) asked me why I hadn't played for Pakistan again and he wanted to know about how I had got from Sri Lanka to England to play those two one day games. He was saying that it didn't sound like I should have played straight away and that maybe I should have waited to acclimatise myself and get over the lag from the long journey." Irfan told Cricistan.com.

Irfan then explained that he had thanked Whatmore for remembering him and how Dav had told him that if he put in the hard work then he had a good chance to play for Pakistan.

"He (Whatmore) told me that I should try and bowl just like I did in Sri Lanka, that I should bowl the way he saw me bowling when we first met. He said that if I could bowl like that and learn to take full advantage of my height, then I would be a great asset." Irfan stated to Cricistan.com

During the tour to England Irfan clocked 89 mph (143 kph) on more than one occasion and apart from a terrible couple of overs (when every Paksitani bowler was getting mauled) he bowled reasonably well. The main reason for him not being reselected is generally thought to be his recurring cramps which were put down to a lack of physical fitness but Irfan feels it was due to jet lag.

Given Pakistan's current paucity of pace options, it's good to see another name back in the reckoning and it probably helps that the coach has seen you bowling at your best too.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    • Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      Good to see he has finally come back under the radar. It was appalling to see him get sidelined for such a long period, after a mere few games.

2. iZaman

iZaman Talented

Apr 23, 2012
      Whatmore ftw!

I have great hopes for the poor lad after this comeback. Whatmore is good at finding talented players.
      Good news!

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      It's good to see that Dav is keeping an open mind and not dismissing any potentials.

Irfan wasn't given a proper chance the first time round. He was rushed into playing after having just flown from Sri Lanka to Karachi to the UK and then put in 7 or 8 hour coach journey up to the North of England. Then heplayed when really he should have rested.

I'm 6'1 and even I'd get cramps after all that, imagine what would happen when you're 6'10 and sitting in seats which feel like they were built for a child. Hopefully Irfan gets a fair chance this time and nothing more.

If he's good enough then great and if he isn't then he's had a great journey to get to where he is today. I dont think any team should just forget about a 6'10 bowler who has clocked 143 kph (89 mph), more than once, in an international game. Only in Pakistan!

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
      • List
    4. Energy

Energy Whispering Death

Apr 22, 2012
      Great to see Dav being enthusiastic on the current scheme of things (players) developing in the national circuit. Giving confidence to players can do nothing else but help their morale and initiate the hunger to achieve heights, whatever they're capable of.

5. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
      Good to see him back in contention. Whatmore has really done a good job of brining in talented players for workouts.

6. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      Great to see a coach who is open minded and will considering building a solid foundation for the team by looking at all the options available. If Irfan works hard he will have a chance to prove his worth. He should be doing everything he can do to make sure he grabs this chance with both hands.

7. nad786

nad786 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 14, 2010
      Its great to see Irfan getting another chance and i really hope he gets in to the team last time the circumstances were not right for him. He can be a great asset for pakistan.

8. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      Good to know that Irfan could still make it... Irfan's international career was just over, after the way Afridi and the team management treated him.

Let's hope Irfan gets another chance in future..

9. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
      tbh i dont see anything in him..its not only about height.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
      • List
    10. KA$H

KA$H Youngsta Beauty

Mar 15, 2012
      its good to hear that Dave is keeping is door open and approaching and encouraging fringe cricketers not just concentrating those in the front line squads

11. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
      Another player who was unfairly discarded. Thankfully its good to see Dav around keeping an eye on players like Irfan and keeping their spirits up.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Height means a lot in fast bowling, that is unless you have the sort of pace Marshall and Sami had. Plus Irfan has pace too, he clocked 89 mph/143 kph more than once and was high 80s mph overall.

All he really needs is a bit more guidance about line and length and he could be quite dangerous. People keep forgetting that he made his first class debut in his mid-20s having never been involved with any professional setup or ever having access to a professional fitness program.

He arrived in the NCA in early 2009 as a scrawny guy who worked in a pipe factory and played for a local village club team. By late 2009 he was taking lots of wickets for KRL, by mid-2010 he was going on A tours and had been signed by KKR for the IPL. In the latter part of 2010 he was called up to play for Pakistan.

When Aqib first saw him, he was struggling to hit the late 120 kph range and when he debuted for Pakistan he was clocked at 143 kph.

Anyone who can learn that fast and improve that much in such a short length of time and especially at such a late age certainly deserves some special attention. How many village cricketers could go from a day job to the Pakistan team and be bowling at over 140kph in around 18 months?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
      • List
    13. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
      his performance against england was a big let down for us fans but m pretty sure that fully fit irfan can be a handful, just needs a little mentoring n what more can he ask for when he has got the great whatmore to guide him?? :p

Mercenary did u urself talk to him (irfan) or was it someone else from the mod team??

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Ever since I sent Irfan to see Aqib, we've kept in regular contact. Even though I havent published a blog piece for such a long time it wasnt because we werent in contact. It was because I was busy with other stuff.

I dont see Irfan as a 'news story' or a 'promotional tool' who I only ever talk to in order to get an exclusive. He's a very nice and very shy lad who needs a push now and then, not because he's lazy but because he's not very confident.

In fact I played a part this time as well in getting Irfan back to the Lahore NCA which helped Whatmore spot him. Now it's up to Irfan and his coaches. If he is good enough then we'll see him again and if he fails to impress then he needs to go away and work on those weak aspects.

• List
    15. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
      my intention was just to ask whether he seemed confident about the comeback ..... n u could have answered my query only if u urself had spoken to him.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I was just clarifying cos I had been asked a few questions about what I stated, it wasnt aimed at you.

Irfan was confident up to his debut and this is the first time I've seen him seem confident again since then.

• List
    17. Swinger

Swinger Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2011
      He certainly has it in him to be a good bowler. Lets hope he delivers for Pakistan.

18. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      He's been in good form in the FBT20 cup; although I didnt see his bowling today, I heard he gets good pace and swing, hopefully he gets a call-up to the national team soon

19. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
      ^
      Bowled really well today, got some good bounce

Edited because I thought he was Rahat for a second :fp

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      • List
    21. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      Mercenary i hope you will start the Irfan blog again........

22. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      i think there was a blog about Irfan on PP as well.

23. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    24. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Yeah I used to do both blogs.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
      • List
    25. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
      Doubt he'll get a game but congrats to him.

26. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
      everyone needs a second chance so fair enough, the problem for me seemed to be with his action, he wasn't using his height or really powering through the crease and 'bowling' into the pitch, it was still coming out abit floaty, needed more purpose and venom which I'm sure are more mental, he may have been slightly overawed which is understandable.

if he can just power through the crease a bit more, and hit the deck on a length, he may well be a handful.