We're learning about more than just cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, May 15, 2010.

We're learning about more than just cricket

by Abdul Habib
May 15, 2010 at 2:16 AM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    mohammad-irfan-cricistan.png

Irfan was selected as one of the 24 most promising players in Pakistan and is currently busy at the training camp in Lahore. Irfan said that the atmosphere at the camp is a little more relaxed than the Pakistan camp because this camp is about a lot more than fitness.

A lot of Pakistani players come from very rural areas and are little more than village kids with no real experience of the outside world. What this camp intends to do is to help to train young players about etiquette and protocol so that if they ever end up becoming international sportsmen they wont feel uncomfortable in their new surroundings.

I asked Irfan if he thought the non-cricket related training was useful and he surprised me with his answer.

"I wasn't sure what to expect when they told me they would be teaching us all this other stuff but after experiencing the training I think it's a good thing. Some of the stuff is very basic but they also teach us about how to talk to the media and how to handle the intense attention that we can sometimes get. There's also stuff about customs and traditions in countries where we might tour. There's a lot of things that are different to the way we do things in Pakistan and I believe it's important for us to learn about that." Irfan wanted everyone at Cricistan.com to know.

Irfan is enjoying the experience and feels that he's learning a lot of useful stuff. He's also glad to be at the NCA and continuing to get the support of the best coaches in country.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      If it (training on non-cricketing aspect of a cricket player) is actually happening then this is one smart thing that has come out of PCB head office in last 5 years.

2. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
      I wish they had similar NCAs built in all cities and big towns of Pakistan.

3. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
      Good news. I hope PCB will stretch this new idea to include mental training and tactical training, but I doubt they will go that far with the current ad hoc/non sense setup!

4. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
      :))

You can't train a player 'mentally' as you put it.

Mental strength is something you are born with. Mental strength comes from playing a lot of competitive cricket, by being in a lot of high pressure situations so that when you get to the international stage you have a certain familiarity with pressure situations that come your way.

5. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
      A human has a certain amount of "baggage" by birth (in the genes). When the players arrive in the big arena then they need to develop the skills in each area to become as complete player as possible. I agree with you that this ability is greatly strengthened by participating in truly competitive cricket. The case is the same with talent and tactics since you need challenge (or counter strategy) to refine the skills.

I don't agree with you that the mental strength cannot be acquired in training camps. Behind the practical issues are also a theory to understand. If the players can learn in both fields they can develop faster and since they only have a limited time to play cricket (while young) then theory also matters, so let them also sit on the school bench in between :)

6. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
      Btw: The Indians did play a lot of "competitive" T-20 cricket in the IPL. Did it pay off ;)

7. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
      I didn't watch the IPL so I can't really say how competitive the Bollywood Premier League was.

8. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
      Nor did I, but when many of the leading players from around the world participates then one must expect a competition to some extent.

The day the Indians treated PAK players like "untouchables" I lost interest for the IPL circus.

9. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
      Same here mate.

Also, I've heard the IPL after parties were pretty intense. So I don't know how you can get really competitive games even with all those international players if players are partying well into the night, getting only a couple of hours of sleep and then travelling to far flung cities to play cricket.

It must be mentally and physically draining.