Welcome to Cricistan -- We'd love your feedback

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 20, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. masterblaster

masterblaster Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    Great site, modern abd attractive layout. Well done on creating this site, already I rate this above PP. They have obsession with rules.

2. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    LoL. Thats what I said on the last page:

By the way, they have a thread about Razzaq not playing for Lions anymore - which was a result of Cricistan's exclusive interview - without mentioning the source. LOL. Usually they're obsessed with the source, but not once has this site's name been mentioned in that thread! :)) Such is the freedom of speech over there.

They've also copied my thread over there about Nehra being Parnell's idol. :p.
    57 posts so far, and they still haven't figured out that Parnell only said that because he was bought by the same IPL team Nehra plays for - Delhi Daredevils.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah I saw that! Saj started a thread for naming and shaming websites that steal news from PakPassion without mentioning the source. I guess you can now add PakPassions name to that thread too :))

Normally you'll get the PP mods jumping all over a piece of news demanding the source but not for that piece of news about Razzaq!! In contrast to that there's two threads on Cricistan with news that originated on PP and both threads include PP as the source.

That's how we roll over here :D

Anyway guys we should let them get on with doing things their way and we'll keep doing things our way over here!

4. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I am going to set the record straight on this issue. We are not here to bash PP or any other site on the net simply because they are targeting the same users.

Our moderation policy and everything else is based on the common sense approach. We will do everything we can and provide tools for users to know before hand if a thread already exists however at the same time we do expect our users to least have a look at the front page to see if the discussion on a certain subject was already taking place. Again all common sense rules.

Moderation is a thankless job and yes it does take huge amount of time to make sure a forum which has couple of hundred people online at the same time works flawlessly.

Far as PP is concerned. Their moderation policy for the past six years too has been product of OUR thinking. Merc laid the foundation for the policy which was revised/improved by other key members of the team then many of whom are now part of Cricistan.

That policy served PP well for many years including its members. I guess the improvements to that policy after we left the team haven't gone down well with the users which is now obvious.

PP is a product of our thinking and hard work much as anyone in that team. While we try to improve upon our earlier work and do it even better with Cricistan I like to clear one thing.

While we would love to learn from our earlier mistakes and the mistakes the current management is making Cricistan is NOT going to provide a platform to those who might have been warned or banned from PP for all the right reasons to bash the site here.

5. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Let's remain humble :) Most of the news/interviews were yours anyway which Sajid was trying to protect others from stealing :-D

Though I always thought that thread was in really poor taste. We are community driven site not a media outlet. Let us be more concern with our users and their well being.

6. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    ok so i was working on some smilies, i am not the best out there, but atleast i attempted, i lost my photoshop program, or would have made it slightly better... but here are a few of player smilies that i made in just a short time yesterday.

http://img690.imageshack.us/g/afridi.jpg/

if u think they are fine and dandy than i'll continue making for rest of players, if u think they stink thats ok too i'll stop in my tracks, or if someone thinks they can improve them than i'll just make smilies upto that level and others can enhance them further to finish and polish them up.

7. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
  8. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
  9. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    thnx, chalo i'll fix them in short time.

10. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    Can we have a smiley with Afridi chewing on the cricket ball?

11. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    i dont wana die at the hands of his :mad: fans :eek:

12. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Youngsta Beauty

Mar 2, 2010
    Great site Merc!!!

All the best for the future!!!!

13. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    I tried, but didn't look good. So made one with Afridi minus a ball.

Can someone take my smiley and place a ball into his open mouth?

14. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    @ Captain
    great effort there, as feather mentions, the second try without the background is much better. would love to add those as smileys! :D

@ Wasim
    saw your attempt in another thread, wont mind large smileys but how bout batsmen playing shots or a bowler bowling.. kind of smiley..?

15. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Can you guys increase the limits on the size of the avatar we can have on our profile. Right now its ridiculously low. We have no artistic liberty to represent ourselves with such a limitation. I plead the 5th. Her gali say bhutto niklay ga, tum kitnay bhutto maro gay. Aik zardari sub pay bhari

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    BD the current limit is 120 pixels wide by 100 pixels high which is the size of my avatar. That's huge, any bigger than that and it will just be like scrolling through a gallery except we'll see the same pics over and over

17. Big Daddy

Dec 21, 2009
    I guess the point i was trying to make was, those gif avatars with java enabled? These bad boys currently dont allow you that motion. Plus its not the size in pizels but the size in kbs I have an issue with.

18. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    disco checkout my album, i uploaded them all without the background. so face only smilies. i'll add more later on. if anyone wants to improve them in anyway, by all means go ahead (for purpose to use on this website)

19. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    BD I believe is talking about animated gif's. Can you give us the size of the gif that your currently trying to use so I can consider increasing the size. You have to remember one thing. The more people use the gif's animated pictures or simply load pics which are of larger size it will cause loading problems for handful of people. :D

There are some amazing gif compression tools.

20. 12thman

12thman Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
    So then Feather will we be seeing My Cricistan as a new feature on this site?

21. Big Daddy

Dec 21, 2009
    lala 200kbs

22. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    My Cricistan? I am sorry I just woke up about 30 seconds ago! so excuse me if I a bit off but is this something we discussed or you suggested?

23. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    :eek: You want to upload a minute of high quality video into your Avatar? If you have a animated Gif let me have it and I will compress it to see what I can get out of it. 200KB is really too much!

24. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    yaar can someone add a button for the smilies to the quick reply frame. thnkx.

25. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Congrats on this site Merc. You can never have too many quality cricket sites. Loved the message posted by Feather.

PS
    Feather, which part of Brooklyn do you live in? (If you don't mind me asking) I also live in Brooklyn so was wondering if it was the same area.

26. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    theres 2 suggestions i can think of that will improve the site, one is the poll feature which I have mentioned in several threads before.

[​IMG]

the picture is 5 different cropped together, the first pic at the top is when you click a new thread button, the second button is just some additonal options including poll, you just have to state you want a poll and the options, then enter the options and poll question. then 3rd picture is how it will appear in a thread and 4th picture is how the results will appearis, The 5the picture is vBulletinĀ® Version nuimber and details.

and then 2nd is thanks and thanked similar to this:

[​IMG]

27. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    site looks awesome. if you guys do 2-3 things right, I think you guys will do great:

- please don't let the site descend into a flooding forum for Afridi fanboys. don't need more 12 year olds running around all over the place blabbing about how they wet themselves every time Afridi runs his hands through his hair.
    - on a related note, I would say keep the smileys to a minimum. that will force people to write what they think instead of running around and flooding forums with smileys instead of posting something half meaningful.
    - lastly, please try to keep the moderation reasonable and apply the rules uniformly. if a mod does not not agree with someone's view, it shouldn't be reason to wholesale delete their posts. it is disrespectful to just delete stuff since the poster might have put some time into writing his post.

28. kingusama92

kingusama92 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 17, 2010
    Great work being done.

My opinion is simple. Please don't let this forum become a PP bash zone. To simply put it if people are going to resort to that sort of antics then I will nicely show myself out. Cricistan doesn't need to always compare itself to anyone, be your own forum and grow.

Of course look at the weaknesses of forums like PP but don't make it seem like you have some sort of inferiority complex.

29. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    i havent seen any sort of bashing for PP here and i been active for a while now, the only times i seen PP is when named in sources or people asking Mercenary about leaving PP, where he has given the same answer to everyone and in between lines he has implied on concentrating on Cricistan rather than talking about and in some instances he's blatantly said that straight.

the only time other than this when i've bought PP in to a topic is during my unsuccessful attempt of campaign of change lol

30. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    your name looks and sounds scary lol even though my middle name is Murtaza :) so cant say that part of your name is scary

31. kingusama92

Mar 17, 2010
    Read the first page of this thread and you will understand what I mean.

32. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    I have read the first page lol

lot of people were obviously curious on what Merc is doing but Merc just gave them a simple short explanation and ended it there by saying "Anyway that's all in the past now, the future is Cricistan"

I don't think of anyone has bashed PP in any way, I remember Merc having some good things to say about PP in another thread in discussion with Nadeem.

33. kingusama92

Mar 17, 2010
    A few examples that might enlighten you as to what I mean.

Anyway lets leave it at that. This forum has potential and will probably go a long way considering the experienced people we have here running the site.

34. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    You've taken the words out of my mouth and it's not just Afridi fan boys but flooding the forum about any player will receive a reprimand. There's only so many times you can read (essentially) the same post by the same poster about the same player before it drives you mad.

35. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    We would never let this site become a PP bash zone, all the Cricistan mods have sunk a lot of time and sweat into PP and we're not going to allow anyone to abuse it. There's no reason why we cant co-exist, we havent banned the word PakPassion from this site or warned/banned people for mentioning that PP exists. We're all adults and we know that lots of similar sites exist, that's our stance here at Cricistan.

You posted a couple of examples which we left because we knew the reason why those posts were made. Without going into too much detail those posters had good reason for making those posts and we're trying to be a little more relaxed about moderation on Cricistan so we let those posts stay. If it had descended into pointless bashing then we'd have taken action.

We understand that people will want to discuss PP since all the Cricistan team were at one time connected with that site but what we've found is that as soon as their questions are answered frankly and openly, people move on and start posting about Cricistan.

36. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    ^^
    Well said Merc. This is exactly what I was thinking when I joined Crickistan ... that why can't two good sites co-exist? I think, they can and they should.

37. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I think my post above should have cleared the air as it was straight to the point regarding our stance on PP and everything else. As I mentioned earlier PP too is product of our thinking and hard work no two ways about it.

Come to think of it most of the original PP team members are here on Cricistan anyway. So naturally we will be asked either on the forums or privately why we left the team or why we created this site. We have made it clear due to disagreements within the team we simply parted ways.

We are not here to bash or provide a platform to those who want to bash PP. Cricistan is not going anywhere in fact we are growing faster then we thought. PP will too have learn to accept this fact and get along with us as we have so far. It is my personal opinion by banning the word Cricistan and warning/banning users who simply mentioned this site is/was in poor taste.

38. Temptation*

Temptation* Youngsta Beauty

Mar 18, 2010
    This site seems nice.
    Just a question though? I received an invitation from the admins/mods here about this site, so was just wondering how you guys actually got a hold of email addresses?

39. kingusama92

Mar 17, 2010

They probably have you on facebook, this is how they got a hold of me at least.

40. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @temptation

Welcome to Cricistan and thanks for appreciating the site. We have been advertising the site in lots of ways from facebook to youtube to emails. Initially we sent emails to all our own email contacts but as more people joined Cricistan and enjoyed the site they've been forwarding emails of people they think would be interested in CS to us and we've been sending email invites.

Also some posters have been forwarding the invitation email they've received