[VIDEO] It's not something that can be fixed overnight. It takes some time to fix things: Misbah

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Oct 8, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan head coach-cum-chief selector Misbahul Haq has opened up after the Men in Green’s humiliating Twenty20 International (T20I) series defeat at the hands of Sri Lanka, in their own backyard.

Pakistan, the number one T20I side in the world, lost the first two games, by 64 and 35 runs respectively, to give Sri Lanka an unassailable two-nil lead in the three-match series in Lahore.

While speaking during a press conference after the conclusion of the second T20I, Misbah spoke about the team’s over-reliance on top-order batsman Babar Azam and the lack of other match-winners in the side.

"We became number one in T20Is but if you dig deeper, our only strength was Babar Azam's runs and he didn't score in two games and we've been exposed. I think we need to find six match-winners, not one,” said Misbah. “Until you don't have that powerhouse in the middle-order and a powerhouse at the top-order for the powerplay, you can't do well. Similarly in the bowling powerplay if you can't get wickets and then in the death overs you can't finish well, you struggle and I think we have failed in all departments.”

“It's an eye opener. We need to look at these things. If we were doing well, we couldn't do that here. Our strong points didn't deliver. We need to find other players, how long can you rely on one or two batsmen?" he added.

The former Pakistan captain admitted that he was answerable for the team’s performance and needed to find solutions to the problems hampering the side.

"You are seeing problems with the team and I am also seeing them. We need to resolve these. It's not something that can be fixed overnight. It takes some time to fix these things," he said. “Obviously I am answerable but to make a team, you need some time and to do that, you do some experiments. Only then do you get the answers to your questions. A lot of things are in front of us and we need to find solutions."

The 45-year-old also defended selecting opener Ahmed Shehzad and middle-order batsman Umar Akmal for the T20I series against the Islanders.

“Shehzad's performance in PSL was excellent. Akmal's performance in all formats in domestic cricket was very good. Unfortunately in our circuit, we have no other batsman in T20s who gave performances like these," he said. "I think that any player who is out of the team should get a chance again, if he performs. We gave that chance on that basis but they didn't perform. All we can do is to give them a chance.”

The third T20I between Pakistan and Sri Lanka will be played at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore on Wednesday, with the home side aiming to salvage some pride and avoid an embarrassing whitewash.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...-six-match-winners-instead-of-just-one-misbah

2. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    This should be t20 team:

1. Ahmed Shahzad
    2. Fakhar Zaman
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Hafeez
    5. Shoaib Malik
    6. Umar Akmal keeper
    7. Asif Ali
    8. Shadab
    9. Wahab
    10. Amir
    11. Shaheen
    Reserves: Hassan Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Yasir Shah, Harris Sohail.

3. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Captain should be either Hafeez or Shoaib Malik! I would prefer Malik as Captain!!

4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    What needs to be fixed is your brain which tells you to play Akmal and Shehzad, and get hell bent on destroying Babar Azam.

Pak T20 team is already ranked no 1 in the world.
    We mustve been doing something right - (Thanks and credit to Arthur), and hence there was NO NEED to experiment anything new which was this drastic,

DONT FIX IT IF AIN’T BROKE.

Havent you already heard of this?

This guy is 100% fraud.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    It was broke although we couldnt see it before as we were winning! Ahmed Shahzad and Umar Akmal were integral part of the team when after 2015 WC, Waqar Younus destroyed the team by throwing these two out of the team and so much damage has been done it will take time and effort to repair these two!! You need management skills to manage your players and Waqar was a poor administrator!!

6. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    malik and Hafeez were on their way out. although I dont agree with ukmal and Shehzad ever playing for pakistan again, the problem is not two players being replaced, the problem is the whole team.

and thats not Misbah's fault - theres nothing he would have done to have changed the fortunes of the team by that much over a couple of weeks. this IS Mickey's legacy, and why he was booted out, and why no-one else in the world apart from domestic leagues are interested in giving him a job (which even there he has failed to deliver).

7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Pakistan needs Ahmed Shahzad and Umar Akmal playing and performing!! Performing Ahmed and Umar would take this team to a new level!! The damage that was done by Waqar Younus and Arthur would take a lot of time to repair!! We need to believe in reformation than retribution!!

8. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    no they dont, neither are capable of performing at the international stage. thats not retribution, thats proven fact.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

10. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Umar Akmal easily makes the T20 team, he is perfect for the format. Can't judge him based on two games. In fact, he should replace Sarfraz long term and be the keeper as well. The reason the team got exposed was because Babar didn't perform.

11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Beside many reasons for team's dismal performance, a vital one is absence of Malik and Hafeez. Also, it doesnt help when Fakhar and Babar arn't making runs and giving quick starts.

Icing on the cake, we also have bowling issues.

Question is, who shouldve replaced two geezers? Are Umar and Ahmed good enough? Or we should try players like Talat and Umar Siddiq?

My only issue with Umar and Ahmed is that no matter how good they play, they always flunk in pressure, which is not acceptable, because we have seen it over and over again.

12. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    good interview, and fair points in my opinion.

time to relook at the performances. I dont like the idea of picking players based on one tournament, that has historically proven to be a very poor indicator of class, all it tells you is form. but if thats all we have, fair enough.

who else should be played then?

here's last year's psl stats:

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Events/HBL_Pakistan_Super_League_2018-19/Batting_by_Average.html

im not so sure how best to look at these figures, t20 is such a crappy luck filled format that its difficult to extrapolate stats with much conviction. looking at the averages you can see why Misbah did what he did:

selfie averaging 52 @ 126
    ukmal averaging 35 @ 137

the only other guys in the vicinity were Malik (no thanks), Umar Amin (but at a v slow 116sr) and Asif Ali (35 @ 182).

the next closest its several places down and thats babar at 30@ 116.

so IF thats the criteria we're going to be looking at - last year's premier t20 competition that included some albeit tired international players - then Misbah is completely justified in picking selfie and ukmal as replacements for hafiz and Malik, as much as I hate them both.

the main valid statistical criticisms against their selection is that one series is not enough data to draw conclusions from, and even when stats indicate a selection, if a player is given enough chances and fails to avail of them, one has to wonder whether they are just not mentally cut out for the pressures of international cricket (eg hick, ramprakash), at which point you move on. I personally would favour both these arguments, but I can see the reasons for the selections too.

its just not pretty reading for a pak fan that these guys did out perform most of the others.

if I were in charge, I wouldn't rely totally on last year's stats, I would weight them more heavily but would try to take three or four years of all domestic t20 stats into consideration to try to get a better sense of class vs form. this approach doesnt work as well in this format as it does in FC and to a lesser extent LA, principally because luck plays a much greater part in T20s, and so that will contaminate skill data.

13. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    equally if you look at bowling, its not pretty reading either:

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Events/HBL_Pakistan_Super_League_2018-19/Bowling_by_Average.html

screaming for guys with say 15 wickets or more, the names that come up are:

Hassan Ali
    Faheem
    Umar Khan
    Wahab Riaz
    Sohail Tanvir.

if you make the criterion an even less useful 10 wickets, it still looks crap:

hassan
    fahim
    umar
    afridi
    Hasnain
    rahat
    Aamer
    Wahab
    Tanvir
    Shinwari
    shaheen
    rauf
    sateen

if you sort by SR instead, which might be a better way of doing it, its not all that different, same bowlers with a bit of a shuffled around order.

it just looks terrible. thats not Misbah's fault, its the previous PCB (whom iZaman seems to love for obvious reasons), and to a lesser extent, Mickey.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    This a-hole with dyed beard keeps changing his stance. One excuse after the other.

Didn't he say a day before yesterday that the logic behind the inclusion of Akmal and Shehzad was that they weren't given enough chances?

Everything about this stupid person is a lie and fake.

15. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Just look how this is taking a direct shot at Baber Azam in the public press conferences to shatter his confidence and by inflicting mental humiliation on him to destroy his career.

He has put way too much pressure on Baber by this statement while giving a free ride to Akmal and Shehzad.

Misbah puts down Pakistan's shock T20I series defeat to Sri Lanka on Babar Azam's double-failure.

https://sport360.com/article/cricke...at-to-sri-lanka-on-babar-azams-double-failure

16. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    If it can be broken in just 2 matches, it can be fixed overnight.

17. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Fool (read it as Misbah)you already had to much on ur plate to fix, the only squad that didn't needed a fix and was asking just mere adjustments was T20 squad but ur ego as broken it down too.

First fix test team, then ODI and after T20Wc rebuild it but no, how can Pakistan win under my watch.

Anyone who still support him must stop talking abt Pakistan cricket and ask misbah to run for PM too.

It is preferable to be Man of Understanding then to be a Man of Knowledge.

18. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    This “humble”, “professional” “saviour” has always been a politician and king of excuses.

He will rinse and repeat the following for the next decade like he did when he was captain:

1. This is a young team
    2. You need time. (He was still saying this about 5 years after his captaincy)
    3. No cricket in Pakistan
    4. Player X,y,z needs to improve

19. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Please stop picking Shehzad and Akmal for good. Thats a start.

Also, I don't believe there can be major issues when you have won something like 30 T20s and only lost 4 over the last few years. The real reason the loss was Shehzad and Akmal coming in. Hassan not being there (bowling and batting are needed) and Shadab/Fakhar loss of form.

So many things backfired this series that its hard to say 1 thing was wrong. The fact is it was an off series due to injuries and loss of form but made worse by stupid selections.

20. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    This is the problem I have with Pakistan cricket. They neither achieve one thing or the other whilst other teams achieve both. I'd suggest Pakistan stay away from experimenting because it shows them up.

If you were hell bent in trying Akmal and Shehzad then were you going to die if you didn't play them in the last match?? What was the idea in dropping Ifti? He's the positive out of this yet you even put him under pressure. Why did the PCB not listen to this guy during the world cup and his opinions?? This guy is not the right person. I wanted to give him a chance thinking the guy has changed but no he hasn't changed.

Wasim Khan was doing such a good job but he's thrown water over all of that by appointing Misbah as head coach.