[VIDEO] Interview Thread (Salman Butt interview - upd # 14)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 31, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 1)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    This guy sounds wise to me. Seems like he has vision and knows what he's doing.

3. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    very good, excellent hire. well done IK.

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    How PCB hired this guy?

He's too good for us.

5. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    He went over everything. We will have a provincial set up with second 11 teams, inter city and then clubs. He talked about the merit in selection of provincial sides and inter city. When you have open trials at U-16 and U-13 or even inter districts what happens is nepotism flourishes. Now they will select inter city and age group teams using the stats of club cricket. We have around 3000 clubs but 2000 are ghost clubs meaning they only have a vote but play no matches and have no facilities. They will kick them clubs out after doing scrutiny although they have an idea of whose playing and whose not. They are going to select independent businessmen who will be impartial as heads of provinces. As for inter city they will have to select on club performance so nepotism is reduced. Same provinces must also select on performance as the best city team from each province will play the other 5 teams. For example, Quetta, Pindi, Peshawar, Lahore, Multan and Karachi may win the inter city tournament in their province so this will lead to a direct tournament between these six teams. A provincial side will then select the players. The system has been corrected, you have a solid structure with honest people at the provincial level and then underneath that they have fixed the system so nepotism cannot happen. We have more talent then New Zealand and even Australia. I was looking at stats in Sheffield Shield and I was genuinely shocked to find most batters averaged low 30s or in 20s. Same for Nz. England is a rich country hence why 18 teams but even then England is not a good test team. In India yes they have 36 teams but many teams have low standards of cricket hence why you see India struggling on away tours but that gap is closed because they have the IPL, lots of money, a population of 1.2 billion and a cricket craze. I'm still bemused at those people who suggested that all the TTFs will be arranged in these 6 top teams. Wasim clearly stated U-19 cricketers will be taken along in this structre. Also he mentioned age group cricket and high performance centres including coaches, health trainers and Psychologists. In these training centres guys will enhance their skills. Most batsman don't get to play on a bowling machine. I know many people in Pakistan prefer cheaper methods like slab training but there is nothing like facing a bowling machine. It's like facing a international bowler. Why do our batsman start jumping when pace goes above 145 kph? In 2003 Nick Knight played 100 mph as if it was 100 kph. The difference between a international batsman and the rest is they do not have this issue where at higher speeds they lose the ball, I'm happy each province will have its own performance centre where age group cricket will be able to enhance there skills and the FC side can also use the facilities.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017

7. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    But if you listen to the media, then he's shown as a monster who is here just to fill his pocket and destroy our cricket.I don't understand why haters like SYH and others start doing character assassination of people they dont even know?

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I'd pay him well because he's worth it. If Pakistan wins world cups, ICC Test championships then Pakistan will gain lots of money and a good reputation. A narrow minded person will always have a small thought. He won't understand a large thought. I just hope all cricket lovers boycott these type of journalists. They are hurting Pakistan. People like them will focus on coach, captain and selection comitee. Bhai we have had almost 20 captains, coaches and selection comitees since we won world cup last. Problem is in domestic cricket. Why has Australia won 5 world cups? Because they have strong domestic cricket. SA is another team that has strong domestic system, they always dominate. New Zealand has a very small population and small interest yet they have produced good standard teams. England has not been as successful but still they increase competition through overseas players.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Wasim Khan issues stern warning to PCB officials

The Managing Director (MD) of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Wasim Khan has issued a stern warning to the board officials while talking about the future of Pakistan Cricket, in an interview on local channel PTV sports.

The MD stated that Pakistan lacked a decisive plan in the past which is being currently rectified. He said there would be no room for officials in the board who did not want to embark on this journey.

“One thing we haven't had in a very long time at the PCB is a five year direction. I've set us a very ambitious task for us as a cricket board and that is to make us one of the most successful and credible cricket boards in the world,” said Wasim. “If people don’t want to come on this journey then they are in the wrong place. Taking those grey areas away is really important.”

Wasim also revealed his frustrations against the media and people, whom he claimed focused on the ‘wrong’ things.

“The biggest frustration for me since I have arrived has been the fact that people don’t want to focus on what you are trying to do. People want to look and focus on other things. People want to talk about salary, they want to talk about that apparently I have been given a big house; you know all the wrong things. It’s that sort of thing that frustrates you,” he said. “We want to move Pakistan cricket forward. We have so much potential but we have to move the mind-set. Media has a big role to play. I am not saying that in the past things have been rosy in the PCB they haven’t been.”

The 48-year-old unveiled a new format for the selection committee which would comprise of six provincial head coaches, who would report directly to the chief selector. However these coaches would report on opposing players rather than their own players.

“The chief selector uses those six head coaches as his eyes and ears. So you don’t have a formal selection committee. What happens is that these coaches will write a report on each other’s players. So they don’t write about their own players, so there is no pressure coming from above,” he said. “There are different models you can do. Let’s do things differently. Let’s think outside the box.”

The MD also announced a renewal of the domestic calendar that could potentially cater to international demands.

“Your schedule of first class cricket has to support international cricket. We need guys going into test matches having played a decent amount of red ball cricket. We need them going into T20 international cricket having played T20s. So the selectors are selecting from a format,” he said. “There is a narrative for everything we are going to do going forward.”

Khan unveiled the rebranding of the National Cricket Academy (NCA) as the High Performance Centre (HPC). This rebranding would include the addition of psychologists and nutritionists to meet the international demands of athletes.

"The NCA will be re-branded as a High Performance Centre. Nutritionists will be brought in to ensure players eat food that athletes should be having, rather than biryani and daal chaawal," he said.

‘Entire season of HBL PSL in Pakistan is not practical’

The MD made it clear that domestic cricket will be given importance in the future. He revealed that many players asked to stay in England but were strictly told to come back and participate in domestic cricket.

“Some of the players playing in England asked us if they can stay there, we told them no. They have to play first-class cricket in the new system in September to be available for selection," he concluded.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/wasim-khan-issues-stern-warning-to-pcb-officials

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Rashid has has asked some good question and same goes for Doc. On contrary, Shoaib has nothing to say but "bring smart people, energetic, brave & modern cricketers", which means indirectly that hire me. Such a waste of spot.

That said, I must say, I'm impressed with Wasim Khan, he talks sense and I wish that even if he can implement 60% of what he said, then it will be a massive accomplishment. Best of luck man.

12. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
  13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  14. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

Some quotes:

“This can only be explained by the previous Chairman of the PCB, Shahryar Khan or Najam Sethi. Why can one player play and the other can’t? What was special in one and what did the other not have? He hasn’t even played a complete season. I have participated in all seasons completely,” said Butt. “The time I spent suspended has now gone. It was five years. The current hold can only be explained by the people in the cricket board of the old setup. They can only explain what has stopped them, because I have been performing every year.”

The 34-year-old believed he deserved a place in the national side and stated that the same players were receiving all the opportunities even after losing matches.

“You have been covering cricket for a long time; you should tell me if I deserve a place with these players. I don’t think this is an issue. You don’t go into a World Cup with just two openers. They keep losing test matches and still make no changes,” he said. “They are lucky to be playing 75 percent of their matches in the UAE. The same players regardless of their performance get the opportunities to play. They should give chances on merit than we will see. It is easy to judge from outside that I cannot score here or there. Have I not scored in different places before?”

Butt stated that he has kept himself fit and was performing well in the domestic circuit.

“I have kept myself fit. I try to score runs in all tournaments. I got the captaincy of WAPDA one year after coming back, got the captaincy for Lahore, and captained KPK as well. I have played the most finals and won three of them. Also finished in the top three, mostly, as far as batting is concerned. I have left no stone unturned. Let’s see when these performances finally get recognition,” he said.

The left-hander believed that a fair system based on merit would shed light on his performances.

“If things work on merit, if we can see neat and clean merit at work, then we can succeed. We can find out about my performance. We can also see if there is someone better. The best performers should play. It is about the country,” he said.

Butt hit back at criticism about his Habib Bank Limited (HBL) Pakistan Super League (PSL) performance stating that he did not get adequate time to perform in the league.

“People don’t analyse the complete context of my PSL performance. I just got two matches in between. It is the kind of league where players score in only two or three matches. Give me a whole season and I will perform in it,” he said.

The former captain expressed hope that the new changes in management would bring about a system of merit that will benefit Pakistan Cricket.

“I am hopeful that good people will now come and the work will be done on merit. Domestic performers will be tried and tested, unlike previously when they could pick and choose according to their own preferences. If you give chances to domestic performers and work with merit then any system can be successful,” he concluded.

15. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    LOL! Amir was a young prodigy whom you maligned with your actions! You corrupted a young mind and robbed Pakistan of the best bowling talent of the world in Asif and Amir, who would have served Pakistan all these years! Asif ki to apni fault thi he was himself a punter of his own but Amir was a huge loss, for which Ill blame both Salman and Asif!! This is the reason why Amir can play and Salman and Asif cant!!

16. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    As regards performance of these players, Pakistan has not been playing too much test cricket of late. In odis, there were 3 major tournaments: Champions Trophy, Asia Cup and World Cup. Performance in two out of these 3 was more than satisfactory! CT we won, Asia Cup our player's weaknesses got worked out, World Cup we finished fifth we could have won the World Cup too the way we performed specially in later half of the tournament, luck was not on our side so I am very satisfied with their performance! They can only perform according to their talent which they are doing! Butt may have been good but he is 34 now and there is no way back once you close in on 35 unless you are Misbahulhaq!!

17. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

Some quotes

In the first week we're just focusing on fitness, there's one session in the morning at 7am and then one at 3pm. There's no nets in the first week, just gym and ground training. I think after that we'll start batting and bowling in the nets.

We're fortunate to have Misbah bhai with us, he has done a lot for Pakistan so for all the guys as batsmen, it's a good opportunity to learn from him. I have played with him, but it's a good chance for those who haven't to learn from him.

If we lose series, it's not because of bowling or batting specifically, we play badly as a team so we lose. In Dubai, batsmen have performed very well. I admit that outside UAE, the batsmen haven't been up to the mark.

I never felt that Misbah bhai is too strict. It's true that he doesn't compromise on things like fitness. He works a lot with juniors, he sits with them and talks to them and also explains. He's very co-operative but you have to work hard.

18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Bhai sahab, you're not even doing well in UAE now. Just check your scores from last series in UAE and you know what I'm talking about. You need to do more than playing an innings out of 6. Those days are long gone when you used to hide at no.6.

19. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    he's completely wrong

20. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Azhar and Asad play Tests only. They should prepare better for away series. In UAE they need to understand the value of making massive runs. If you make 350-400 score you can still lose.

21. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I think Asad should get one last seeries. If he doesnt perform then drop him for good

As for Azhar, i dont see him to be dropped on poor performance yet. He should get an year atleast to prove himseldf

22. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I am all in to drop Asad, but drop him for who?

23. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    Fawad Alam

24. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I'd say Asad is definitely in the top 15 batsman we have produced.

Bet you didn't look at it from that angle ;)

25. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Nah, he's not long term resolution. I would try some domestic top performer, like Salahuddin.

26. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    does anyone on this site know why he doesnt get selected?

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I read it somewhere that Mickey believed that he was too weak and there are was not much power in this shots.

28. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Fawad should be given a go.

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

Ijaz Ahmed appointed Pakistan’s U19 Coach

Former Test batsman Ijaz Ahmed has been appointed as the head coach of the Pakistan U19 cricket team on a three-year contract, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced today through a press release on their official website.

Ijaz has been in coaching since 2009, serving as the head coach for Pakistan “A” and U19 sides. He also took up the head coach’s role with the national men’s side (in 2010) during his stint as an assistant coach.

Ijaz will also work very closely with the Pakistan U16 and Pakistan “A” sides and will assume charge following the ACC U19 Asia Cup 2019, to be played in Colombo from 5 to 14 September.

His first assignment is likely to be the “A” team eight-nation T20 tournament in Kenya next month. The junior teams’ other international assignments this season are U16 home series against Bangladesh, which starts in October, ACC Emerging Teams’ Asia Cup in Bangladesh in November and the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2020 in South Africa next year.

Ijaz was chosen for the assignment following a robust recruitment process in which a number of high-profile and quality former international cricketers were interviewed by Wasim Khan and Mudassar Nazar.

Ijaz Ahmed said: “I am thankful to the PCB for trusting me with the important responsibility of grooming and nurturing the future stars of Pakistan cricket. Junior cricket is a lifeline for any cricketing nation; as it sees talented youngsters graduate to senior cricket and carry forward the legacy of some of the greatest cricketers this proud nation has produced.

“I am excited with this opportunity and look forward to playing my part in what are exciting times for Pakistan cricket.”

Mudassar Nazar said: “I have seen Ijaz Ahmed develop as one of the most talented coaches. He has a vision and strategy. He is hard working and has a reputation of being a good student of cricket who can analyse the game and spot talent.

“I have no doubts Ijaz will be make a significant contribution as a Pakistan U19 coach as the PCB has stepped up its endeavours to not only narrow the gap with international cricket but provide equal and fair opportunities to all the budding youngsters in the country.”

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/ijaz-ahmed-appointed-pakistans-u19-coach

30. aliahad

aliahad Youngsta Beauty

Sep 16, 2012
    We appoint these lallo's at grass root level and then we complaint why good players doesn't come from U-19, A team and U-16 level. Aaqib Javed was a good option along with Razzler