1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

[VIDEO] I did not think that Umar & Kamran Akmal could win matches for Pakistan: Mickey

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Dec 17, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    Some quotes:

You pick guys that you think can matches for the team. I did not think that Umar and Kamran Akmal could win matches for Pakistan. I thought they had their time. I think Pakistan needs to invest in these young players that they have got. As a coach you select who you think are the best players that can win games for you.

Unfortunately, you can only keep 11 to 16 guys happy. Other people outside the squad are never happy. But as a coach you can’t worry about other people. You worry about the guys you have and developing them. I picked the boys who could win games of cricket.

I was surprised to see Pakistan play with no spinner in Rawalpindi Test. At the end of the day, conditions might have said that to you and it would have ironical because we considered playing two spinners there, so it would have been like what just happened here? We are playing two spinners and Pakistan are playing four quicks.

As a coach and selection panel, you need to see how best you can win the game and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t and that’s the art of coaching.

2. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  3. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    Emphasis on fitness, induct young players and kicked the a$$ of players like Ahmed Shahzad & poisonous Akmal brothers are some accomplishments of Mickey, however, he couldn't stamped his authority in Pakistan's cricket setup.

4. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    his art of coaching seems to be about getting fired by whoever hires him.

"I did not think that Umar and Kamran Akmal could win matches for Pakistan".
    But you thought amir, rahat, imam, azhar, asad, shan, faheem, etc etc etc could??

"I picked the boys who could win games of cricket."
    In all, Pakistan won 10 out of 28 Tests under Arthur, losing 17 and drawing one.
    Under Arthur, Pakistan won 29 of 66 ODIs, losing 34 with three no-results.

"that’s the art of coaching"

5. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Umar Akmal has his issues but one issue he does not have that comes out with other batsmen during overseas tours is the loser mentality. This was evident when Azhar Ali and Shan opened against Australia and despite surviving for a long time, they left the initiative with the Aus fast bowlers who, after breaking the partnership, mauled the rest of the batting lineup. You need players like Umar Akmal in the lineup (despite his issues) or else you can continue to select players with a loser attitude who will got into a shell and always be found wanting when the heat is turned up.

I'd rather have Umar Akmal with his issues than a Shan Masood or Imam or Hafeez or another run of the mill mediocre player who is unable to take the attack to the other side when the going is tough.