The advantage of playing M Hafeez is that he can replace Ahmed Shehzad as opener : Sarfaraz Ahmed

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jun 27, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Some quotes of Sarfraz Ahmed’s press conference before the Zimbabwe tour.

‘Our preparations are going well.We have gotten 2 days to practice here and then 3 days to practice at the venue,so our aim is to do as much practice as we can before the series. We have the T20I triangular series with Australia and Zimbabwe first,and you can't take any team lightly in T20s.Hence, we will try to play good cricket and win this series’

‘In T20s, no team is a pushover.Australia is a strong team in T20s.They have several young players but they know how to play tough T20 cricket.I believe the triangular series will be tough and we all will get to see good quality of cricket’

‘I’ve toured Zimbabwe twice and both times I've played on different type of pitches.In 2013,there was a bit of grass and the ball was bouncing a lot. In 2015, pitches were very slow and there was a lot of moisture in them.I've heard that the weather there is cold and the matches will start early,so I feel the toss will be vital and we will have to read the pitch quite carefully.Thankfully,we've been doing both these things quite well recently and we will try to act according to the game situation and do what's best’

‘As a captain,I believe that the way the boys back each other and the way they put in an effort for each other is commendable.This isn't just me talking as it is quite evident out on the ground where you can see players put a lot of effort in bowling,batting and fielding. Even when players stop the ball at the boundary,they all go celebrate with him and celebrate together. The team has gelled well over time and they all pray that each of them does well in the matches which Allah is rewarding us with good results’

‘When you become captain,there is definitely pressure on you but I am trying to win the team matches whenever presented with the opportunity.These is definitely pressure as you have to keep an eye on a lot of things.Alhamdullilah everything is going fine even though I haven't performed with the bat in a couple of series but I am working hard on my batting and keeping so that I win matches for the team with my performances’

‘I’ve been consistently batting at number 4 in T20s in the past couple series so my aim is to continue that’

‘Kamran Akmal is performing very well in domestic cricket and it's not that he can't find a place in the team.It's just that we looked at the combination of the team,and the advantages with playing Mohammad Hafeez is that he can replace Ahmed Shehzad as an opener and he can also be helpful with his bowling. These are the reasons why the team management and selection committee thought that Mohammad Hafeez is a good choice.The pitches in Zimbabwe are quite slow,and out of the 6 batsmen in Australia's top order,4 are left handers.This is why Mohammad Hafeez has been recalled into the T20 side’

‘In Pakistan, you can't make predictions about a players future. Anyone playing cricket can return at any time’

‘There is definitely a bit of pressure on us when it comes to the Triangular series as we are the number one ranked side but I don't think that we should worry too much about this.Even when we weren't number one, we didn't consider that we would reach the number one ranking.We will only focus on performing well in all 3 departments since if we worry too much about other things,we won't be able to perform well as a unit.We've instructed the players to focus on their own performances and give their best’

‘Yasir Shah making a comeback is a good thing since we have included one more leg-spinner in the team. We have planned a bit for the upcoming series in UAE against Australia and New Zealand and decided that if we include him now then he will get more chances to improve in ODIs and perform well in the UAE’

‘MS Dhoni has lead his side well as a captain in all 3 formats of the game, so I definitely do get inspired by him. I have only met him once,which was at the 4th June 2017 during the India-Pakistan game. When I look at him as a player and as a captain,I definitely get inspired by him’

‘I've only started my career right now and I'm only focusing on my cricket.I haven't given retirement much thought yet’

‘The selection committee and team management is trying to bring in young players and we are trying to build a nucleus with them.If you look at the past year and a half,there haven't been too many changes to the ODI squad except maybe 1 or 2 players. Fakhar Zaman,Hasan Ali,Shadab Khan, Haris Sohail, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez have been in the team for a while now and we are focusing on giving this team as many chances as possible and we are aiming to take this same team to the World Cup’

‘He(Sahibzada Farhan) is a young player, and he had a good performance in last two Pakistan Cups and the selectors were keeping an eye on him. He also played a couple of good innings in the PSL. He is coming into the team as a 3rd opener and we will give him a chance to play when we think it's right.In the opening slots, we had Fakhar Zaman and Ahmed Shehzad at first,then we tried Babar Azam before Ahmed Shehzad came back at the top. At the moment, we have brought in Mohammad Hafeez to try a new combination.We can make quick changes in a T20 side because we get chances to do so. We have a lot of talented players in the team, and will play them all if we get the opportunity’.

‘Mohammed Amir hasn't spoken to me directly regarding him wanting rest. We are aware of resting our players and we also only played Amir in the first T20 match and not the second one in the last series. We will try to continue with the same strategy since we have bowlers available on the bench. You must've seen that when Usman Shinwari played the match against Scotland,he was the Man of the Match,which is testament to the fact that we have several bowlers available and we will continue to try and rotate our bowlers’

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    So Hackfeez will open and this is advantage? I think he didnt mention that its an advantage for 'opposition'.

3. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Pizza is a great player no doubt, I’ll be watching the performance of Malik and Hafeez vs Australia very closely.

4. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Well he bowls quite well, I think he is the leading wicket taker for T20Is in Harare.

5. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And its enough to cover his ineptness with bat? Seriously billy, com'on yaar.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Have you not seen him hooking, cutting and driving Boult?

7. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    In how many innings? 2/3 out of 200.

Jeese delusion is incurable.

8. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    2/5 recently.

9. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Malik 0/5

10. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    All hail The King.

11. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Who the f is pizza and why do you call him that ?

12. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Hafeez is our dark knight.

13. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Lol

14. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Tbh Hafeez is not a bad player for these conditions but the problem s if he does well here, he’ll cement his place in the team and then make his place in the WC squad too where he’ll most likely fail

Also, what’s the guarantee he won’t be called for his bowling action again ?

15. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    If he does get called than that should be that but he is an asset when he bowls.

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I was wondering the same, what the rational behind this 'pizza' thing @Mohammed Bilal , care to elaborate?

17. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Idc if he continues to be play T20s cuz it’s a lame format anyway.

Hope he stays away from ODIs tho.

18. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    No, yeh, I wouldn’t want to elaborate, sorry.

19. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    but the funny thing is hes NOT an opener..a millimeter of movement and hes a goner.

20. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Hafeez should be picked for middle order specifically in my opinion!! I absolutely loved what he did in Aus odis and in psl 3.

21. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    So what was the advantage again..?

22. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    What I dont like about Pakistan team management always is that they dont utilize players at their right positions. Younus Khan batting open in World Cup 2015 against India wasnt a smart move. Similarly, playing two leg spinners against India on a bouncy Aussie pitch and against indian batting whose weakness is only pace bowling. Similarly, recently 4 pacers on a turning track. They got away in CT Final playing 2nd spinner in my opinion as they were lucky to be batting first. On that pitch, we needed 4th pacer in shape of a pace allrounder. Imad would have gone for many runs had he bowled more and bowled first!!
    On topic, Hafeez should be batting in the middle order!!

23. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Big fat anda today & did not even bowl. I thought Sarfaraz was a forward thinking captain?

24. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Mickey gets weak on senior players and he sides with Sarfaraz's decisions. Not to forget Sarf is a poor batsman himself.

25. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    What an amazing player.

26. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    They have got this wrong totally. Hafeez waise hi poor tha shuru se aur is age mein to uski eye bhi chali gayee hai aur new ball ke against us se opening karwa rahe hein whereas he can do a great job for us in the middle order. He was phenomenal in Aus and in PSL in the middle order and they have made him open the innings. Again a case of not utilizing a player's talent properly according to his skill. Right now, he cant face the new ball. He can best serve Pakistan at No. 5 position where spinners come on and its easier to bat without too much pressure. You can take your time to build an innings. He is good against spinners.
    On the other end, Malik can be a better option for opening position than in middle order cus he moves his feet against pacers. He doesnt stand still and poke at the ball outside offstump or get trapped lbw. He is vigilant and keeps his eyes and ears open while facing the new ball. He has a better chance of surviving new ball at this stage than Hafeez whereas Hafeez has a better chance in the middle order to put much needed runs on the board. Hafeez can pile the runs in the middle order in two short formats whereas Malik can help them give a start to work with.
    @mohsin88ali

27. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Hafeez is there thanks to Mickey and Sarfraz, he knows how to play the 'game' with captains and coaches who keep on selecting him.