Talha, Cheema, Wahab, Sohail and Irfan called up for Pakistan camp

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 30, 2010.

Talha, Cheema, Wahab, Sohail and Irfan called up for Pakistan camp

by Abdul Habib
Mar 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    wahab-riaz-mohammad-irfan.png

Cricistan.com's own 6'10 giant left arm fast bowler is delighted to reveal that he's been called up to train with the Pakistan players. Irfan received a letter from the PCB asking him to join the camp starting on the 29th.

Cricistan can exclusively reveal that in a surprise sensible move, the PCB have called up Mohammad Irfan, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Talha, Aizaz Cheema and Sohail Khan to bowl to the Pakistan team in the nets.

Usman Qadir, Abdul Rehman and Ahmed Shahzad have also been called up to the camp as well.

Irfan told Cricistan.com that "Those of us who aren't part of the T20 squad or the reserves, spend the morning working out at the NCA whilst the national team does their training. But in the evening we all attend the net sessions together."

Irfan has been enjoying bowling to international batsmen and even got the chance to send a handful of deliveries down to Afridi.

"I beat Afridi 3 balls in a row before he shouted out 'well played yaar' and advised me not to change my line saying it was very good." remembered Irfan.

But the highlight of his day was when Waqar would come over to him to give him some advice. Irfan said the first thing that Waqar picked up on was the length that Irfan was bowling.

"Waqar walked over to me and told me that because of my height what was a good length for other bowlers didn't suit me. He said that if I was hitting a normal bowlers good length then I would be bowling too short and the batsman didn't need to play at the ball. Waqar advised me that a good length for me was to pitch the ball a little fuller and then my natural bounce would take care of the rest."

"Waqar went on to say that when batsmen saw my height they would automatically go onto the backfoot. So when I bowled fuller than they were expecting it would pull them forward and give me a better chance of getting a wicket" stated Irfan to Cricistan.com

Irfan is busy taking on board all the advice that Waqar has been giving him and implementing it into his bowling. He feels that it's already made a noticeable difference and he cant wait for more gems from Waqar.

Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I bet Waqar Younis is behind this.

The best fast bowlers in Pakistan (excluding the ones injured or already in the Pakistan team) have just been called up to join the Pakistan camp.

I think Waqar is checking his strength for the England tour.

2. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      This is great news I hope Irfan puts in the hard work. This could really pay off.

3. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
      Cant wait to see him in action later this year in england.

4. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
      I think that is all we have in our fast bowling reserves, pretty thin if you ask me.

5. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
      I doubt he would be selected for England, he still hasn't made the type of impact in domestic cricket which he promised right at the start his domestic career when he took a couple of 5 wicket hauls.

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Thin compared to who?

Umar Gul, Mo Asif, Mo Aamer, Wahab Riaz, Mo Talha, Sohail Tanvir, Mo Irfan, Aizaz Cheema, Sohail Khan, Yasir Arafat.

How many more do we need? 20-odd?

That's a pretty decent arsenal if Waqar can get it working properly

7. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
      Apart from Asif, Gul and Aamer rest are unproven or simply not good enough (Arafat). Even Gul has been at sea for past year or so.

8. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

The best cricketing news I have heard since T20 WC win!!!

Best of the best luck to Irfan!

I hope, there is still time to make a change to T20 WC but I'd still be happy if he makes the England squad!!!!!!!

9. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
      Whats happening with Asad Ali and Mohammad Ramiz Merc?

IIRC they've been pretty good for a few seasons now.

That's all well and good but what about the batsman? I mean thats our main worry. Naved Yasin is injured but I really hope Waqar has a few of the fringe/upcoming batsman in his thoughts especially with YK and Moyo potentially out of the reckoning.

10. Saqib

Saqib Youngsta Beauty

Mar 26, 2010
      Great news realy a good chance for Irfan to impress everyone.

I think he still needs to learn alot, Waqar is the best person to learn from.

InshaAllah he will make it to the Pakistan team very soon :D
      can't wait to see him bowling few bouncers :D

11. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Best part is that players participating in the camp will play 5 T20 matches. First match is on Saturday. Irfan will be playing vs the best under the watchful eyes of Waqar, captain and the selectors;

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
      I dont want to start a he said she said debauchery but there is a certain other site that did post this story also. I wonder who beat who by 20 mins? If only there was a way to finding it out.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      20 mins? 24 hours would be closer! :D

You know there's an easy way to find out, just check when both threads were posted!

Actually I've been noticing that several other websites like Dawn, The News, Jang and the Nation seem to be copy and pasting news from Cricistan (with NO reference) almost as soon as we publish it. For eg...

http://thenews.jang.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=231561

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-n...2010/Exselector-urges-Shoaib-to-call-it-a-day

...looks like we're becoming a first port of call for news on Pakistan cricket and we've barely got started yet!!

As for the other site, I'm surprised they aren't using our Irfan blog to update their own woefully out of date Irfan blog. (Dont take it to heart old friends, you know me I'm just kidding)

At the end of the day BD, the internet is about information, they're free to pick up news about Pak cricket from here but it would be decent of them to reference us once or twice :p

14. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
      I don't know the history of Cricistan since I am relatively new on this site, but it seems like that you people have parted ways with.......whom?

15. Cricket_MN

Cricket_MN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 25, 2010
      Waqar advised me that a good length for me was to pitch the ball a little fuller and then my natural bounce would take care of the rest

Great to see Waqar giving him good advise.

16. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
      From a a sister body of IPL.

17. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
      These are the words of Irfan who has a good relastionship with the site, hence the news broke first right here:p.

I wouldn't have thought Irfan would have made such strides in under a year, I can only wish him the best of luck and hope he can somehow get a chance in the national team.

18. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      Don't quote me on this but I would find it very hard to believe any other site let alone PP has the same level of access to Irfan as we do at Cricistan. Till this day we remain dedicated to his cause along with our dedication to represent Pakistan and Pakistan cricket in a positive constructive manner.

We simply have a different approach to things down here. We make friends rather then just connect with sources for sensational stories or headlines. Irfan is one such friend.

19. The Great Khan

The Great Khan Youngsta Beauty

Jan 26, 2010
      ^^^ sorry but was it an amicable parting of ways or can each others names not be mentioned on each others sites? anyway does it matter who posted it first? what matters is that Irfan is getting exposure and that can only be a good thing! there was a time when pak cricket had zero coverage on the net..now we have two very good websites competing but at the same time promoting pak cricket!

20. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      Khan as you can see I have mentioned PP in my above post. We have made our position very clear in this thread http://www.cricistan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140 handful of times.

As for us parting ways. There is no point discussing what went on behind the scenes. Myself, Merc, Zeenix and Nauman were part of the management team that made PP happen and brought it where it is today or least was six months ago. We were not exactly moderators.

Anyway if you go through that thread you will see we have no problem with PP. As I have mentioned many times...it too is a product of our hard work and thinking. However the guys at PP have gone way out of their way to make sure no one mentions this site. Members have been warned and banned.

Anyway Cricistan is here to stay. So lets focus making this site the best site on the net when it comes to Pakistan cricket.

21. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      It's just a bit of gentle ribbing TGK, I still talk to some PP team members. What you're reading are just private in-jokes and the ones they're meant for fully understand them.

Like if I said 'I just received a phone call from the cousin of the uncle of my work colleague's neigbour to tell me that your comments aren't wanted on this website, so clear off.' Then you'd think I'd gone mad but over at PP towers they'd be laughing themselves hoarse.

Whilst it's true that PP have gone as far as to ban anyone even posting the word Cricistan, that's their affair.

Here at Cricistan we have no problems with anyone mentioning PP or PakMusic or CricketWeb or posting their videos or articles here. That's as long as they're newsworthy and the source is made clear.

The only thing we wont allow is anyone to abuse PP or go on about why they were banned and how they hate PP for pages and pages. Like feather said we were also behind PP and we're not going to allow Cricistan to be used as a platform for PP to be slated/degraded.

Couldn't agree with you more, although it's a bit early to call Cricistan a very good website or to group us with a website that's been around for a decade. We're still only around 9 weeks old but we're growing and hopefully with time we can make your words come true, Insha Allah :)

22. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Any news of practice matches? First one should be going on right now. Only thing, I am interesting in is ... Irfan's performance! :)

23. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
      Pakistan A bt Pakistan by 5 wickets

Pakistan batted first and made 161. The Akmal brothers with half centuries.

Ahmed Shehzad scored a half century for Pakistan A.

Salman Butt played a huge role aswell. His fantastic running meant that Misbha got run out and then lo and behold he got run out himself without troubling the scorecard much.

24. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
      Inzaman,Yousaf.......Salman?

Will he be able to do it?

Will he become our worst runner ever?

25. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
      PP had updates for this match. Pretty much what Juggs said in the OP.

26. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      The update is up, I just spoke to Irfan about the game. I was busy earlier on so I couldn't post it till now.

Thanks for providing the updates Juggy but next time could you reference where you got them from. Here at Cricistan we want to create an environment where you can bring in updates that Cricistan dont have from other websites as long as you reference that website.

This way the users of Cricistan will always be up to date with the latest news on Pakistan cricket wherever it breaks.

The thinking behind this is if some news breaks on Cricistan and you only post on PP you may never ever get to 'know' about that news but if you post only on Cricistan and something breaks on PP or PakMusic or wherever then you'd still know about it.

We're trying to create an open environment for 'smart' cricket fans!!

27. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
      No worries Merc. Will keep it in mind next time.

28. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
      When you compare this attack to that of Australia it does look very thin

Aussies current Bowlers (in no particular order)
      Brett Lee
      Mitchell Johnson
      Nathan Hauritz
      Ben Hilfenhaus
      Doug Bollinger
      Shaun Tait
      Dirk Nannes
      Ryan Harris
      Clint McKay
      Shane Watson
      James Hopes (as an all rounder)
      Peter Siddle
      Stuart Clarke
      Nathan Bracken

These are the ones that i can think off from the top of my head

compare pakistan reserves/current bowlers and our attack does look very weak, we depend mostly on Aamer/Asif/Gul/Ajmal/Afridi and if they get injured were basically panicking

29. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
      Even South Africa too, they usually have likes of Morkell sitting on the bench because he cannot find a place in playing 11.

30. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Australia, South Africa and Pakistan are the 3 modern centres which have regularly produced quality fast bowlers. Sometimes Pakistan has more, sometimes South Africa and sometimes Australia.

The West Indies hasn't recovered from the loss of Ambrose and Walsh or they would be inculded too.