1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Sooner or later, he (Abid Ali) will be worked out by the opposition: Aamir Sohail

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Dec 25, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    Former cricketer Aamir Sohail has cautioned Pakistan opener Abid Ali to not get carried away after a brilliant start to his Test career in the recently concluded home series against Sri Lanka.

Abid, nicknamed "legend" in Pakistan´s dressing room, hit 174 in the second innings of Karachi Test for his second hundred in as many Tests, becoming the first Pakistani and ninth batsmen overall to score two centuries in his first two Tests.

“What a breath of fresh air Abid Ali has been for Pakistan but at this point I will sound a note of warning and say that sooner or later, he will be worked out by the opposition,” said Sohail. “I have no doubt that he has the temperament and the skill as he showed with the two centuries he scored in the Test series against Sri Lanka. However, what he has to do now is get over the euphoria of his current success and be truthful to himself. He needs to ask himself about what areas he should improve upon.”

“If Abid can do his self-appraisal, then the technique and temperament he has will take him a long way forward,” he added.

The 53-year-old also appreciated middle-order batsman Babar Azam for continuing his rich vein of form against Sri Lanka.

“To me Babar Azam is a great example of a player who we are seeing evolve into a fine batsman in front of our eyes,” he said. “He keeps on improving and learning every time he plays but what I would like him to do is to figure out a way of going out there and staying longer at the wicket, all the while not sacrificing his urge to attack the bowlers.”

Sohail concluded with urging Bangladesh to tour Pakistan for their scheduled Test series as a way to reciprocate Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for their help in getting Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) the Test status.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/aamir-sohail-cautions-euphoric-abid-ali

2. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    You can always thanks these old players for providing encouragement and lifting up the new players.

3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you Aamir Sohail for being positive.

These ex-cricketers are so damn bitter.

4. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes they will work on ways to get him out. Thats the case with every player right? Not just with Abid.

These guys give zero insight. Just speak for the sake of speaking. He needs to work hard just like every other player.

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Usual cliches. As soon as he fails they will talk about how he got big headed and isnt passionate anymore. No insight, no technical knowledge, nothing constructive.

6. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I think the problem here is the headline - he actually didn’t sound too discouraging. He praised both Babar and Abid with a few words of caution too - fair enough imo

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    I haven't been a great fan of Amir Sohail as a cricket pundit but I tend to agree with what he is saying, ESPECIALLY in the light of how foolishly we tend to hype our players these days.

To be honest with you, when Abid Ali got out on zero on the first ball in his second ODI, I was of the opinion that good bowlers will work him out pretty soon. It was an angled delivery and he poked at it with no footwork. That's a classical Pakistan style of getting out.
    Then again, he got out lbw on the 8th ball of his 3rd ODI which sort of confirmed my initial impression.

Great that he came back with a 74 runs knock in his 4th ODI.

I think he is a great prospect and he must make the most out of this flying start into the International arena.

Many Pakistani players, by default, think and firmly believe that getting into Pak team is the end of the world. Now they have done it all, and they know it all. There is no more need of any improvement of any sort.

I hope he does not take this route, and believes that it's just the start and not, the end of his journey.

All the best to him.

8. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Solar Eclipse actually did something guys ^

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    He won't average above 50 in Test cricket in the long run for sure, but such discouraging comments must be avoided. Aamir Sohail tries hard to look different and assert himself sometimes.