1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Pakistan v Australia - So what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, May 2, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The obvious answer is that we gave away 15-20 too many runs but why did we do that?

Personally I think it's the team composition that's to blame. Guys like Sami and Butt don't belong at this level.

Butt did his usual minnow bashing yesterday and everyone forgot about the way he plays against the top teams (bar India). Then today he dropped important catches and leaked far too many runs in the field.

The same for Sami, he had one lucky over yesterday after getting pounded by a minnow in the rest of his quota but everyone decided he wasn't rubbish. Then today he comes across a top 8 team and gets smashed into oblivion.

When will we learn that performances against weaker teams aren't the correct criteria with which to select players against the big teams. We need to drop Sami for Asif and Butt for Hammad. It's the only way we will start to perform.

2. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    Merc, Do you remember why Imran believed that Pak was going to win 92 WC final after realizing that Eng had made it to the final ?

That reason is exactly the same reason why Pak lost today!

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    ActuallY i've never heard that one, do enlighten me. Is it something to do with bunnies?

4. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    everything went wrong except for Afridi. what a player. what a captain. Mashallah. plus so good looking. where's my Afridi poster? I wanna suck some face...

5. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Bowling plan failed miserably wotever it was.

and the batting order was always wrong.

6. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Razzaq didn't look interested at all of playing today

Didnt have to do much in the field

Didnt bowl

Didnt bat well lasted 1 ball and the 2nd skied it up

Was sent in at 7 which was quite a silly tactic whereas I would've prefered to have him sent at 3 with him not having any other part to play in the game today.

Overall a very dismal performance by Pakistan.

7. Adeel167

Adeel167 Youngsta Beauty

May 2, 2010
    This is my first mail and I am writing because of totally unfair analysis of Merc of the match and specaily his comment about Salman Butt's performance. I know he has but out cricket but he is the only decent opener we have produced in last 10 yrs. I know his stats are not brilliant but he played well against Australia in last 2 tours and he played 3 classic shots today but he got carried away tried to hit Tait which was bad option as he should have realized that it was Tait's last over for the spell. I still feels that he played better than overrated Akmal who's out cricket is worse and his batting fading away. He wastes lots of balls and intermittently slogs. I will write about reasons of loss in next mail.

8. Adeel167

Adeel167 Youngsta Beauty

May 2, 2010
    We lost because of poor captaincy . Firstly I think biggest problem is that Afridi's is struggling to figure out how to deal with deal with loss of Umer Gul. He is expecting that Sami will be able to ball like Gul which is not realistic. I guess Sami doesn't have temperament to ball 4 overs at the death and balls consistantly well. Second big problem is that he is not comfortable giving new Razzaq which is not only resulted in us giving lots of Runs in 6 plus Hafiz will lose confidence and his batting will suffer. In addition I think Razzaq is not performing well with bat as he is sort of player who performs well when given importance. Third problem which Afridi has as a captain is that he is not flxible and doesn't change plans if things don't go well and worse problem is that he is not bowling well because of captaincy pressure. I will write solution in next mail

9. Adeel167

Adeel167 Youngsta Beauty

May 2, 2010
    I guess we cann't change captain so we have to hope that Afridi's nerves will settle down and he will improve. I guess last 5 overs should be bowled by Aamir(2 overs) and Saeed Ajmal 3. For first 6 overs we have to give 2 overs each to Amir, Razzaq an Asif/Sami who ever you play. As for as replacements are concern they ate few options one is that you drop fawad and Sami and bring in Asif and Hammad/Rehman or if you don't want to ball Razzaq with new ball then drop him as well and bring Asif, Hammad and Rehman. I must say that I am not sure that Asif or Hammad will be very successful in T20 as they lack pace but atleast Asif has much better temperament than Sami and he could ball over no 1 and 3 decently and might take wicket or 2. As far as Rehman is concern he is ok but Raza Hassan could have been better option. anywz I still feel we have decent team but team management and captain too stressed out. I guess players like Misbah should try to help Afridi out and team need to show passion. I think such loss at the start might be blessing and might help us to find better combination.

10. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    Butt dropped Hussey early
    Samis 3rd Over
    Afridi using Aamers 3 over straight up
    Captain has to think outside the box, not a rigid bowling plan

11. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    The fielding WILL cost us dearly as proved today.

DEK would have been gone and Sami a hero.

12. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Both Sami and Hafeez have to take some responsibility for today’s loss, both went for ten runs per over. Why Asif wasn’t included in the starting line is beyond me since he was the main tormenter when Pakistan toured Australia last year, surely his cutters would have been more effective rather than the pace of Sami.

Why have Razzaq when you aren’t going to use him as a bowler, I would have preferred to give Hammed a chance. And he wasn’t able to contribute to the batting either.

The fielding was poor, well actually it was poor against Bangladesh to be honest. I heard so much coming out of the camp about how much they had worked on the fielding, however it doesn’t seem like they’ve improved much.

13. Princ3_CharmiN

Princ3_CharmiN Guest

The only thing went wrong was the team combination. There is no real combination, Razzaq is playing as batsman, they don't know where to bowel Sami and Hafeez. Can't decide on which position should some of the batsmen (Fawad, Umer, Afridi) are going to bat. I think Pakistan team is pretty confused at the moment.

I know am no cricket expert, but if it was up to be I would go with the following playing XI.

1.Salman Butt
    2.Mohammed Hafeez
    3.Shahid Afridi (this is where Afridi should bat and try to take advance of powerplays as well. When you expect Afridi to deliver 9 out of 10 he fails. In the last World Cup he delivered because he didn't have to hit shots as soon as he walked in.He needs time to settle down and play sensible cricket like he did last time around.)
    4.Umer Akmal
    5.Fawad Alam (he is being wasted down the order. He is not a big hitter of the ball that he could come at #7/8 and hit it out of park.)
    6.Misbah-Ul-Haq
    7.Kamran Akmal (I think it would be better to have him as a finisher than opener. He is more reliable to finish things off than Afridi.)
    8.Abdul Razzaq
    9.Mohammed Amer
    10.Mohammed Asif (On West Indie wickets I think Asif can cause few problems to batsmen than Sami. He can be lot more effective then Sami with the new ball. Bowel him out from the start.)
    11.Saeed Ajmal

14. sam

sam Youngsta Beauty

May 3, 2010
    This should be the team based on only options we have,results will be different
    Akmal
    Hafeez
    Afridi
    Akmal Junior
    Misbah
    Hammad Azam
    Razzaq
    Fawad
    Aamer
    Asif
    Ajmal

15. Mohammad Aamer

Mohammad Aamer Emerging Player

May 3, 2010
    I guess Afridi isn't utilizing his resources properly. A. Razzaq can have the new ball with asif and they both can ball decently in the opening overs. Aamer's 3 overs should be kept for death. and afridi should try to improve his bowling. Everyone's starting to read him. plus sami doesn't deserve place in the 11; he's too generous. Salman butt can be an asset. He's clicking here on these wickets.

16. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Sami is a no go, he is a tried and tested failure you cannot expect Waqar Younis to wave a majic wand :p and Sami will be good again, he is mediocre and will remain so. I think Afridi's lack of form with the ball is really hurting us badly. In last two world cups it used to be Afridi / Gul / Ajmal combination after the 10th over that really controlled the game for us. Have to look for a new strategy here.

17. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Bring in Asif instead of Sami and anyone instead of Butt(erfinger). Afridi need to have crash course in captaining a team and most of all how to make simple changes in a game plan.

18. ibadtariq

ibadtariq Youngsta Beauty

Apr 27, 2010
    Afridi was not flexible as a captain, there was no plan B! ..the only thing we lack is a new ball bowler and i guess, Razzaq should be given the new ball along with aamer, batting line up is ok.. Fawad should be promoted up the order, he can play the role of malik easily m telling u guys, he can play better than Umar Akmal ... Sami bowls some good yorkers, he jus lacks xperience of T20! ..he should be in the team for those yorkers, and he needs some backing and guidance! ...

19. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Does he need experience? He is 29 years and should be "experienced" enough. I would say he is in his best age and still you are asking for more experience? Maybe he just cannot deliver more than he has already.

I agree the last over he bowled was more decent because of yorker length balls, but why he hasn't learned that? If at all he can bowl on any spot at will. Gul has been in the business and it was clear for everyone to learn from him by just watching his trade mark yorkers.....Gul's success is no secret :)

20. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I think argument that Sami needs more time in the middle has not footing at all, he has not even justified the number of chances he has been given so I fail to see why people want to give him more chances. He is a domestic bully at best.

Afridi as captain was also found out, all the myths about him being an aggressive captain just because he does not use his brain while batting should be clear now. Malik was termed as a defensive captain but Afridi was clueless, he just went on with the motions hoping that some how or the other things would fall in place.

21. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Yep sami and butt should not be anywhere near the squad.
    should have been Akhtar and shazaib playing instead.
    Butt cant catch cant field and only bats well against minnows

22. Dunday Baaz

Dunday Baaz Youngsta Beauty

Apr 19, 2010
    Obviously all of you have played some cricket at some level.

Answer me this; when does a captain go with a premeditated mentality? I bet you any thing Afridi did. There was no intuitiveness in the field aka plan B.

We gave the game away when Afridi brought back Hafeez for his second over. I was praying that he wouldn't but he did. When you have so many options at your disposal why would you stick to the bowler who just got pummeled? Aussie are a great momentum team. Build it and they will push you out of the match and shut the door on your face!

I have played enough gali cricket in my time to understand the mechanics of it! You dont deploy the same bowler again who got hit. You change up and fast. They have studied each of our bowler so, you don't over expose them. Rotation keeps the batsmen unsettled. For bowlers there is no time to settle down and you have to deliver in tight short burst of one to two overs maximum!

I agree to what most say about Sami and Salman! They shouldn't be here. Razzaque was not used. Strange! The aggression and power in the batting was lacking. Misbah played a cool innings.

23. Dunday Baaz

Dunday Baaz Youngsta Beauty

Apr 19, 2010
    It was a poor day for Pak.

Poor captaining should come out at the top.
    Followed by poor fielding where as the batting is no walk in the park with these openers. We need shahzaib.

24. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Just about everything really. :))

Poor captaincy

Poor bowling

Poor ground fielding.

Poor batting. Two modes from our batsman really: block or hit out. Rotation of the strike wasn't good enough. They didn't play with their brains or assess the situation.

At one point we were going fine. Akmal junior along with Misbah at the crease. Run rate was good. Just needed one partnership to get us on track as we've seen the case to be in other games in the tourney.

But again our players showed a lack of planning, a habit of not being able to do the basic rights in all three disciplines of the game and as always a tendency to crumble under pressure.

25. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Fact is that had, Afridi not all of a sudden gone into a defensive mindset and started off with Hafeez, we might have had a different game together. But as soon as Pakistanis see the Yellow Uniform, they kind of lose their rational thinking and do things, one would least expect the Pakistanis to do. Fact is that with a fast bowler as a coach, and an aggressive captain (as we are told so), the most ludicrous thing to do was to open with a spin bowler. We lost the match straight away and never came back as a result. In a 20 over match, if the opposition gets to a flying start its very very difficult if not outrightly impossible to pull them back. Then dropping those catches (albeit difficult ones) sealed the match for us. Once they had 191 on board, we would always be under pressure. Scoring for 20 overs around 10 an over is very difficult, and it would require extra ordinary effort on part of Pakistan and very ordinary effort by the Aussies on the field to win it. And the psychological advantage was with the aussies.

I am trying hard not to be a cynic, but the way i see it, Pakistan threw the tournament with this effort of theirs, and given Pakistani mentality, i can see them going down without a whimper.

26. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    no matter how many fielding camps there are pakistani's still cant catch!!!

27. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Actually the catching has been fine so far.

We've dropped 4 catches in the tourney by my count:

Kamran Akmal dropped a difficult chance off Bangladesh

Misbah ul Haq dropped two difficult chances off Australia and usuaully Misbah is a good catcher.

Salman Butt dropped a dolly in the Australia game.

So in my book Kamran and Misbah's catches were half chances, chances that Pakistani fielders can't be expected to take if they struggle with the regular stuff, whereas the only one who should really be grilled for putting down a sitter is Salman Butt.