Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Prince Pathan, Dec 8, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    I will be going on Friday.

2. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    Awesome bro! Can't wait ... Also hope you have a good time fam.

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Hopefully! I initially bought tickets for friday games but then my friend who was going with me pulled out so I had to sell my ticket too today...

Now I'll be there with my bros tomorrow hooting for Asad Shafiq

4. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Lol. Nvm you'll get to watch Ali Zafar & Sean Paul perform. And hopefully some KP fireworks.

5. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I hope you're not the person who bought that ticket in black from me this morning lol

6. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    No lol.

I had not bought till now. Maybe tomorrow.

7. Shaz

Shaz Youngsta Beauty

Dec 19, 2014
    anyone know what UK channel its on?

8. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Prime TV

9. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Sean Paul at PSL?

10. Shaz

Shaz Youngsta Beauty

Dec 19, 2014
    should've been on a channel everyone will be able to stumble upon such as sky sports, bt sports, etc. I'll be surprised if anyone will even know its even on prime tv, except pakistani's in general. Pretty sure no one is going to stumble upon it while flicking channels.

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    The long and winding road that has, at last, lead us to the Pakistan Super League

The Pakistan Super League (PSL) begins Thursday at Dubai, marking the culmination of a journey that began in 2005.

April 2005

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) organise the first Twenty20 domestic tournament under its control, the ABN Amro Twenty20 cup. It was held over just six days with 11 regional teams, all in Lahore. It was wildly successful, as the final played out to a packed house at Gaddafi Stadium, the first in years for a domestic game. One of the main forces behind that tournament, Salman Sarwar Butt, is also a senior official in the PSL.

September 2007

The PCB announces plans for its own franchise-based league, days after the launch of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The Pakistan Premier League (PPL) will be played in September 2008, according to the board, possibly in the UAE. Six franchises are planned with four foreign players, four local players and under-21 players. Board chairman Nasim Ashraf denies the PPL is a response to the unsanctioned Indian Cricket League (ICL) that has drawn away a number of Pakistani players.

June 2008

The board changes the name of the as yet non-existent league to the Twenty20 Super League and delay the launch to September 2009. Ashraf says two international companies are interested in buying franchises.

August 2008 – 2012

Ashraf’s resignation, heightening security concerns that rule out Pakistan as a venue, and a succession of controversies under the chairmanship of Ijaz Butt over the next few years means the PCB puts plans for a league away.

September 2012

It emerges that the PCB, now under Zaka Ashraf, has revived plans to launch a Twenty20 league and has been working on it for several months. The chairman says the league will be held in March 2013 in Pakistan to aid the bid to bring international cricket back to the country. In November, they enlist the services of former ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat to help them set up the league. The league is now known as the Pakistan Super League.

January 2013

At a launch event for the league’s logo, the PCB announces a 15-day league with five franchise-owned teams and 23 matches. They expect to expand it to eight teams and 59 matches by the fourth season. At the event Lorgat says the value of the league could be “in excess of US$100 million (Dh367.3m)”.

February 2013

The PSL is postponed for a host of logistic reasons, most damagingly that it had not found franchise owners or a broadcaster. The global players’ body, Fica, had also issued a warning to foreign players against travelling to Pakistan for the league for security reasons.

February 2013 – August 2014

A PCB committee continues to work towards finding ways to kick-start the league, possibly in December 2014.

They reach out to potential investors and debate the merits of the kind of ownership model it wants.

But momentum is frittered away through a succession of damaging leadership battles within the board. In August, the board announces a second postponement in 18 months.

June 2015

Under stable leadership, the PCB announces that it will stage the PSL in 2016 in the UAE. In April, the board had engaged Repucom, a leading international sports consultancy, to work out a way forward. They decide that they will organise the league instead of outsourcing it, and that it will be held in the UAE with five teams.

August 2015

After discovering a potential clash of schedules with the Masters Champions League (MCL) and unable to find a compromise with the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) the PCB approach Qatar as a venue.

September 2015

The PCB, ECB and MCL work out a compromise that sees the PSL come back to the UAE to play only at Dubai and Sharjah. Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard hop aboard and, at a glitzy launch event in Lahore, Kevin Pietersen says he is committed to the event as well.

December 2015

All five franchises – Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar and Quetta – are sold, a key moment in the fortunes of the league. Combined, and over 10 years, the PCB expects to earn US$93 million from franchise fees. The league also acquires a title sponsor and a broadcast deal. By this time, over 100 players have signed up to take part in a player draft.

December 21-22, 2015

The PSL stages a two-day player draft at the National Cricket Academy at its Gaddafi Stadium HQ in Lahore. A total of 310 players, 138 of them from Pakistan, go in the pool, spread across five categories. The draft continues for 20 rounds, finalising 100 picks. Shahid Afridi is the first player drafted, selected by Peshawar Zalmi. Other big picks include Shane Watson to Islamabad United, Chris Gayle to Lahore Qalandars, Kevin Pietersen to Quetta Gladiators and Mohammad Amir to Karachi Kings.

Thursday

The PSL finally begins.

[email protected]

http://www.thenational.ae/cricket/p...-at-last-lead-us-to-the-pakistan-super-league

12. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Yup. Opening ceremony.

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    'I see PSL as a gateway to Pakistan' - Sethi

Eight years on, finally the dream has been fulfilled with the PSL starting. How big an occasion is this?
    It is a very big thing for us. When I became chairman of the PCB in 2013 one of the first files I saw was an attempt to organise the PSL which had been abandoned. At the time they said we didn't have the managerial talent to organise it. Then I said let us have a second look. The idea was to outsource the whole thing. So we set up a committee and sent out ads. Aman Foundation, which is linked with the Abraaj Group, and Haier came forward but unfortunately neither of their financial bids were adequate.

Then we hired Repucom to be our consultants. We should have had a whole year but we only had six months by the time we got the nod for the PSL. Having got permission from the board of governors and the funding, we then came to Dubai. That is when we found that February was not available. I was a bit stunned because my management had told me that February had been reserved. The Emirates Cricket Board said there was no written understanding with the PCB and the Masters Champions League had offered them a 10-year contract.

To cancel the PSL at that stage, when we had announced it, would have been a disaster. The PCB would have lost all credibility. We tried to persuade MCL owner Zafar Shah, but he was adamant. He would not give us space. The Emirates board was not willing to put us ahead of the MCL despite having a longstanding relationship with us. So I went to Qatar. The Qatar Olympics Committee was dying to have us, but they had only one stadium and that was not up to international standards. We drafted an MoU, where they would upgrade the stadium in four months. But two months down the line we found that it could not be done.

So I came back to Dubai and again approached the Emirates Cricket Board. We finally made a breakthrough. The understanding was that we would play for at least three years. We would not shift the venue except if it were to be played in Pakistan. The MCL would be played between January 22 and February 2 and they would play in Abu Dhabi, while we would start on February 4 and play in Dubai and Sharjah. So there would be no overlap. However, the ECB allowed the MCL to shift the dates and venues. So that has been a bit of a disappointment. We had an agreement but for various reasons that has been amended. But we have no ill will towards the other two partners.

Do you see the clash with the MCL hurting the PSL?
    You can't compare the MCL with the PSL. That is for retired players and ours is current stars. And the market is very different: we are going to be banking really on Pakistanis whereas their audience is mixed. This is our first time. We really need to kick off.

What is the USP of the PSL?
    Pakistanis are passionate about three things: cricket, music and food. I want to bring all these three together and the PSL is the right platform to do that. Secondly the Zimbabwe series in Pakistan showed how much interest there is in the market provided we are able to bring foreign players back to Pakistan. The third thing is I see the PSL as a gateway to Pakistan. If we are successful in holding a league here which creates a degree of excitement, if our security situation continues to improve as it is improving by the day, I see no reason why we can't persuade foreign players to play one match in Karachi and one match in Lahore next year. Then maybe in the third year, we could bring the whole league back to Pakistan. That is the short-term objective.

The PSL is going to be more like the IPL than the other leagues. I say that because there are 200 million Pakistanis at home and abroad. This is by far the single biggest eyeball market in the cricketing world outside of India. This purely empirically speaking.

Financially, are you confident the franchises will gain something?
    The financial model is such that probably nobody might make money this season. I am hoping the PCB breaks even. I have told the board that we will not lose money this year. Some of the others (franchises) were not versed in terms of how to exploit their merchandising and other values might lose money. But, in the next two years, they will make money. The minute they make money the value of their assets will go up. And that is when we will have the sixth team followed by two more teams subsequently.

Realistically do you think you can hold the PSL in Pakistan in three years' time?
    That is our aim. It is dependent on two things: the financial success of the PSL, how it catches the imagination of the Pakistanis and the world, and on the security situation.

Is it true that you offered overseas players the option of playing in Pakistan before the draft and each player rejected it?
    We had two columns in the application: are you prepared to play in Dubai? And are you prepared to play in Pakistan? Nobody ticked Pakistan. Maybe we could have dealt with it differently: we could have said that we will offer twice as much if you play in Pakistan. But we deliberately did not want to do that because we wanted the first year to kick-start in a safe environment. But next year I mean to offer very good financial incentives to foreign players and see whether we could do at least the opening and the final in Pakistan. At the end of the day the main league would be in the UAE.

Strangely there is no hype or buzz around the PSL in Dubai. Why?
    We have been working on very tight budgets. Our marketing budgets did not give us enough scope to spend the sort of money other leagues have spent. What is happening in Pakistan is more significant and important to us. Gate money is a fraction of our revenues. Apart from the psychological impact of having a good house on the first day or the second day, at the end of the day, it is the broadcasting value we get which comes from all the advertisers back home.

So you are not fussed about ticket sales?
    We are, but I would not say it is an obsession with us. We do want as many people to come. We want people to demonstrate their nationalism, their support and affection for the PSL. But to say ticket sales are going to be critical to our financial model is not correct.

What anti-corruption measures has the PSL has put in place?
    We have spent a lot of time and effort explaining things to the franchises and their managers on the anti-corruption code. We have a colonel from the Inter-Services Intelligence who is overseeing the security operation. We have a senior police officer of the rank of senior superintendent of police, who has worked for five years with the ICC's ACSU, who is part of the security team. We have also hired a UK-based firm, Sports Radar, which will monitor the betting patterns. We have one security official with every franchise. We cannot afford any scandal. We have told the franchises if there is a breach, even a hint of scandal, we would take serious measures including banning the team.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-super-league-2015-16/content/story/968723.html

14. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    PCB have taken a gamble with PSL - Sohail

The Indian Premier League (IPL) came to the UAE some years ago and created quite an impact with fans packing the stadiums. Taking a leaf from them, the Pakistan Super League (PSL) is now all geared up to try and replicate, if not better, what the IPL did when five teams will battle it out from Thursday over 20 days to try and emerge victors of the inaugural edition.

Khaleej Times caught up with former Pakistan captain Aamer Sohail on the sidelines of the Masters Champions League match between Libra Legends and Virgo Super Kings at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, to get his views on the PSL.

" I'm hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that PSL is a success," said the dashing left-handed opening batsman who scored 2,823 runs in 47 Tests.

"It should be a success because Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is taking a huge risk. It's like a gamble.

"The thing is in the Emirates we have seen people turn up only for T20 matches when international teams play and that too is not very often. So to attract crowds to the grounds cricket has to be extremely, extremely exciting otherwise people here are the working class and they turn up only on weekends. So it's a risk which PCB has taken but I'm hopeful that it will be a success," added the 49-year-old.

Commenting on the Masters Champions League (MCL) for which he is a commentator for a TV channel, Aamer said, "It's a very good initiative because after retirement, not all of the players, but few of them used to stay in touch with the game from the sidelines. Now, here is a platform and an opportunity for them to be active and at the same time keep on teaching the youngsters how the things are supposed to be done.

"I think it's a good avenue for the retired players and also an initiative for them to keep playing the game, stay healthy, fit and all that."

However, the poor attendance at the venues seem to be a cause for concern but Aamer feels it's a matter of time before the interest among spectators picks up.

"I think the interest will pick up because initially people did have apprehensions about these retired players - there won't be any intensity out there but look at the intensity what we have seen in the last couple of matches which were very closely fought.

"So I think those apprehensions are slowly disappearing now. I think in the next three to four games there will be more involvement from the people.

"Also, we have received information that there is a good viewership on television for this series so it will be nice if people turned up at the ground as it will create a nice ambience for the cricketers."

When queried about the upcoming T20 World Cup to be played in India and which team was the favourite to win it, he said without batting an eyelid, -- India.

"India is the only country that won a World Cup in their home conditions otherwise it has not happened. India are doing well, they have the resources.

"On the other hand, Pakistan, in my opinion, if their batsmen are able to play consistently good cricket rather than play with a mindset of hitting sixes and boundaries on every delivery and if they do the basics right then Pakistan has the bowling to upset the opposition and win the World Cup."

Talking of bowling, one couldn't avoid but ask him about Mohammad Amir's return to the team. "Well, when Amir didn't perform there was a lot of criticism that he has been rushed into it, but you have given him a chance to make a comeback so you have to support him. Talent is there it's just a matter of giving him time and confidence. And he is coming good.

"So the Pakistan think-tank and those in charge of the team should be happy that Amir is a match-winner for them."

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/pcb-have-taken-a-gamble-with-psl

15. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Interesting choice lol. Be ace if he sang 'We Be burnin' - remeber during primary, everyone was singing that whilst acting badmen lol. Good days lol.

16. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Enjoy the fun Munna bhai

@ASLI-PATHAN will you be going to the games too ?

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Is that Zafar guy the same who sang in FB's puberty ceremony?

18. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Ali Zafar man, one of the most famous singers in the country. Sung PSL and Islamabad anthems, dont know if he sang for FB or not lol

I've only listened to "She Doesn't Mind" :p

19. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Acha acha, interesting song choice :D ...

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Pakistan launches high-octane Super League in UAE

[​IMG]

DUBAI: Pakistan is set to launch its first franchise-based Twenty20 league in the UAE on Thursday as its cash-strapped cricket board seeks to boost revenues and reverse the national team's slide in the game's shortest format.

The long-awaited first edition of the Pakistan Super League follows two previous attempts that fell through over a lack of sponsorship and the suspension of international cricket at home in the wake of a militant attack on the Sri Lankan team almost seven years ago.

With Pakistan's once-dominant Twenty20 side sliding to a lowly seventh place in world rankings following a their recent series loss against New Zealand, organisers are keen for local talent to hone their skills alongside the world's best players including Chris Gayle, Kevin Pietersen and Shane Watson.

Featuring 69 local and 29 foreign stars, the five-team, 24-match league will be held from February 4-23 across two stadiums in Sharjah and Dubai — Pakistan's “home away from home” since the 2009 terror attack.

The teams were sold to private consortiums for a sum of $93 million across 10 years, with $200,000 salaries for top-tier players and relatively handsome paydays for middle-tier and emerging talent.

The winning side, meanwhile, will bring home $1 million.

Former captain and legendary fast bowler Wasim Akram said the league was vital for Pakistan to match the fast-rising standards of other Twenty20 teams.

“Look at where Indian cricket is now because of the Indian Premier League,” he said, referring to the brash, glitzy tournament first launched in 2008 whose model has been emulated by other leading teams including Australia and the West Indies.

“By rubbing shoulders, by competing against and by sharing the dressing rooms with high profile players all the Indian players have benefitted and I envisage the same in the PSL,” added Akram, who is the bowling coach for Kolkata's team.

“We have been struggling to match other teams,” agreed Shoaib Malik, a former captain who was part of Pakistan team which lost a Twenty20 series in New Zealand 2-1 last month.

“The PSL provides a launching pad for the future generation of players as four emerging players in each team will learn a lot which is good for the future of Pakistan cricket,” he added.

Not everyone is as optimistic, with organisers privately admitting that in order to be viable the tournament will need to return to Pakistan for greater gate and TV revenues, while rampant piracy puts a question mark over the profitability of kit merchandising.

With lower salary caps than leagues elsewhere, it will also need to steer clear of the ever-present threat of fixing that has hit its predecessor leagues in India and Bangladesh, resulting in bans for the likes of international stars Shanthakumaran Sreesanth of India and Mohammad Ashraful of Bangladesh.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1237190/pakistan-launches-high-octane-super-league-in-uae

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I don’t find any reason PSL won’t succeed: Vivian Richards

West Indies batting legend Sir Vivian Richards on Wednesday regarded himself as one of the biggest fans of the Pakistani style of cricket and expressed excitement ahead of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) which kicks off from February 4 (tomorrow) in the United Arab Emirates.

Richards said the PSL is the perfect platform for raw as well as refined Pakistani talent to hone their skills and abilities.

“I have always enjoyed playing against Pakistan because of their aggressive mindset. Even though the West Indies have success against Pakistan but this was the only team in my time which created problems for us. It was always a challenge to play against them.

“This is an ideal opportunity for Pakistani youngsters to prove their mettle in the PSL. UAE's pleasant weather provides an opportunity to teams to entertain the fans with the T20 brand of cricket,” Richards, who is mentoring PSL franchise Quetta Gladiators, was quoted as saying by Khaleej Times.

The 63-year-old cricketing legend was known for his aggressive nature as a cricketer, and was one of, if not the most feared batsmen in the history of the game. He said T20 cricket is all about confidence and players should believe in themselves and enjoy the event to full.

“You can say T20 cricket is a lottery at times but it needs lot of focus because one over can change the complexion of the game. There are so many good players here and they are fresh and young,” said Richards.

The former West Indian captain seemed confident that the PSL will be able to entertain cricket fans all around the world. “Its success is inevitable,” he said.

“This region has loads of talent and I don't find any reason the PSL is not going to succeed.”

http://www.dawn.com/news/1237194/i-dont-find-any-reason-psl-wont-succeed-vivian-richards

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  23. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    KP enjoying high life in Dubai before the battle on pitch

24. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
  25. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Whilst getting paid ridiculous money..

26. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Added bonus ... More concerned with the ace Sheesha he gets out there lol, I have to go Manchester to get some decent sheesha :( ...

27. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Yea Wimslow road. Your town Bradford has many also. Full of gangsters

28. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Exactly, the Al Qaza is ace. Prolly my most visited lol.

Lol, I'm from Blackburn, we're supposed to have the most sheesha bars in Lancs, yet they're a joke!

29. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Pashas in bradford are great but they charge too much.. 20 pounds per one sheesha and only two person per sheesha.

I think pashas are one of amir khan sponsors as well

30. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
  31. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    HBL PSL Press Conference and Trophy unveiling of The Shooting Star at Dubai Cricket Stadium.

32. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    I think my cousin told me about Pasha's, haven't bothered trying it tbh, might give it a go when I go Bradford to meet fam soon. That is slightly expensive but I don't mind if it's alright.

Don't know tbh, do you follow boxing? Heard about Khan v Alvarez?

33. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011

Yeah no he is a complete Jahil but I do agree to an extent if he is bigging up the two men beside him. You have had some questionable people selected for some of the teams. I think Azhar for a long time has earned a Pakistan T20 call up

34. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

Chris Gayle to use Spartan Gold Bats for PSLT20 2016

Chris Gayle has always been known for his brutal hitting and he has almost lived up to the expectations every time. Gayle has used this bat in the Big Bash League and equaled the record of fasted 50 with this very gold bat. The bat has been specially prepared in a golden color, he is first player in cricketing history to use a golden color bat in playing field. He tweeted a picture of his Gold Bats and informed his fans that he'll be using those in PSL.

http://www.pslfantasy.com/news/chris-gayle-to-use-gold-bats-for-psl-t20

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Qatar Airways, Pakistan Cricket Tournament sign long-term partnership

Doha: Qatar Airways announced a long-term partnership with HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL) as the official exclusive airline of the tournament, which is emerging as one of the most exciting cricket events in the region.

The inaugural season of the league featuring key Pakistani and international cricketers will take place in Dubai and Sharjah between February 4 and 23, 2016.

HBL PSL, featuring five teams comprising of current and former Pakistani cricketing stars, as well as highly skilled and popular international players, is one of the sport's most awaited global tournaments.

After years of planning its launch this month, the tournament, which follows the popular T20 format, brings excitement to a sport which is followed by millions of fans around the world.

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive Akbar Al Baker said the association with HBL PSL was a great opportunity to align the passion for travel with the passion for sport. "We are excited about our association with the HBL Pakistan Super League.

"Qatar Airways has always championed the connectivity of sport and sporting achievement. In sport, we learn to play and win together, and travel can also teach us and inspire us to achieve together.

"This partnership aligns Qatar Airways' vision to go places together with our passengers, and to be a part of their journey."

"Qatar Airways prides itself on being an important presence in the Pakistani market where we have grown our operations rapidly over the past few years, connecting Pakistan to the rest of the world with our direct services to Doha and onwards. The launch of flights to three Pakistani destinations last year, Multan, Sialkot and Faisalabad, helped us expand our reach in Pakistan and we are proud to be flying-in some of the most popular cricketers from Pakistan to the UAE for this season's matches," he added.

PSL Chairman Najam Sethi welcomed Qatar Airways and highlighted this as a historic moment. "The HBL Pakistan Super League is a global event and to have one of the world's leading airlines partner with us is great news.

"I am sure that HBL PSL fans will be equally delighted with this arrangement. Hopefully, many of our fans will make use of the excellent services that Qatar Airways has to offer as they make their travel plans to watch the first ever HBL PSL."

This sports partnership is the latest in a series of key sponsorships for Qatar Airways, building on its mission to reach new fans through the power and passion of sport.

Other partnerships include FC Barcelona, Al-Ahli Football Club, Qatar Open Men's and Women's Tennis Championships, and IPTL among others. The partnership with PSL also aligns with the vision of the State of Qatar in its commitment to promote sports globally and in the region.

Qatar Airways currently operates flights to seven destinations across Pakistan, non-stop from its Doha hub, HamadInternationalAirport, double daily flights to Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad, three flights a week to Multan and Faisalabad, four flights a week to Sialkot and daily flights to Peshawar.

Karachi was first launched by the airline in 1995, Peshawar in 1998,Lahore in 1999, Islamabad in 2004, and Multan, Faisalabad and Sialkot in 2015.

http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/64...icket-Tournament-sign-long-term-partnership--

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Wasim, Afridi want fans to get behind PSL

DUBAI:
    Former Pakistan captain and legendary bowler Wasim Akram believes the Pakistan Super League (PSL) is the best thing happening for Pakistan cricket right now, and has urged fans to support it.

Wasim, who is the Islamabad United team director, believes the league can go a long way in improving Pakistan cricket, which is currently struggling to meet modern-day demands.

“An event of such magnitude has never been staged before nor will it ever be,” said Wasim. “So we all need to support this product.”

The former left-arm pacer and World Cup winner feels Pakistan’s younger players will be the ones to benefit most from the country’s first ever high profile league. “Imagine our young players rubbing their shoulders with the best players of the world,” he said. “In addition, all the teams have got top coaches, so upcoming players would learn a lot from it.”

Peshawar Zalmi and PakistanT20I skipper Shahid Afridi pointed out that the influx of money will motivate young players to try and pursue cricket professionally.

Pakistan Super League: Seven companies fight it out to buy franchises

He added that Pakistan is looking to find quality players and that the league would certainly help unearth future stars.

“The PSL is going to be a big help for Pakistan cricket because it would allow us to find the next Wasim, Javed Miandad and Waqar Younis,” he said. “It’s a really big step taken by the PCB and they should be appreciated for it.”

Afridi too, like Wasim, urged the fans to get behind the league. “I would urge the public to ensure they support this league and turn out in number during the matches.”

Karachi Kings skipper Shoaib Malik shared that he wants to win the title for Karachi, especially since he has led his domestic side Sialkot Stallions to several titles at the expense of Karachi sides in finals.

“Hopefully, we would be able to give a present to the people of Karachi by winning this PSL, as we [Sialkot] have beaten them a couple of times before,” joked Malik.

Speaking during the trophy unveiling ceremony, Quetta Gladiators skipper Sarfraz Ahmed believes that people are underestimating his side but they are doing so at their own expense.

“Quetta Gladiators will surprise a few teams, though people are not rating us highly,” he said. “We’ve got genuine match-winners in the team, with the likes of Kevin Pietersen and Luke Wright, while our Pakistani players are good as well.”

Published in The Express Tribune, February 4th, 2016.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1039644/wasim-afridi-want-fans-to-get-behind-psl/

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Dunya anchor Zainab Abbas to co-host PSL along with Alan Wilkins

LAHORE (Web Desk) – Dunya News’ sports analyst Zainab Abbas along with former English county cricketer Alan Wilkins has been selected co-host first ever Pakistan Super League (PSL), opening ceremony of which is on Thursday at 7pm PKT in Dubai International Cricket Stadium.

Zainab Abbas, currently working with Pakistan’s leading news channel Dunya News, will not just be part of PSL’s opening ceremony but also a part of the league till the end. She will be conducting sideline interviews of players during the matches and will be the part of pre and post match shows.

Talking about Zainab’s association with cricket, her work demonstrates that she is the right person to do the job. Zainab has a good cricketing brain; she does not just talk but is well aware of the game. Zainab has hosted various shows including Dunya News’ Cricket Dewangi. She has also conducted exciting interviews of prominent sports personalities like Imran Khan, Shahid Afridi, Muhammad Amir and Ramiz Raja. Her expert opinions are also acknowledged by cricket’s most prestigious websiteCricinfo. She also writes feature stories as well.

Read: Demise of the Sweep Shot

Since her association with Dunya News, Zainab has been an integral part of every sports show organised by the channel. She also gave her expert opinions during the cricket’s mega event World Cup 2015. Cricketing fans have welcomed PCB’s move to appoint Zainab Abbas as an official co-host.

The gorgeous sports analyst Zainab Abbas will be one of the host of #PSLT20 #Cricket #PSL#AbKhelKeDikha pic.twitter.com/A2xnqHTwdS

— Pakistan Cricket (@PakCricketPK) February 2, 2016
    @ZAbbasOfficial thank god we wont have a host with just good looks but also a cricketing mind

— JahanZaib (@sabsepehlePAK) February 2, 2016
    A Vgood move by PCB to appoint @ZAbbasOfficialas an host of @thePSLt20 she s nt jst a beauty but well aware of the game, best of luck lady

— Ahsan (@AhsanAsghar78) February 3, 2016

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Cricket/321066-Dunya-anchor-Zainab-Abbas-to-cohost-PSL-along-wit

38. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
    Should keep her away from that perv Gayle to avoid controversy, they should send Yahya Hussaini to interview him. :rofl

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Fans can't wait for PSL to start

DUBAI Fans of Pakistani cricket in the UAE say they can’t wait for the start of the inaugural edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) that gets underway on Thursday.

When the first ball of the match between Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators is bowled under the lights of Dubai International Cricket Stadium at 10pm, many say, it will be the end of a long wait for a home-grown international cricket tournament.

Cricket crazy nation

“I am glad it is upon us finally. We had been hearing talks for ages and as fans of a cricket crazy nation, had been waiting patiently only to see other Test playing nations like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh start their own T20 tournaments. Now we have one of our own too,” said Dubai-based entrepreneur and cricket fan Ammar Akhtar, 31, who will be rooting for the team from his hometown Karachi Kings led by former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik and boosted by top international all-rounders like Tillakaratne Dilshan and Shakib Al Hasan.

For Danish Pasha, 34, also from Karachi, the new five-team tournament means a true celebration of everything Pakistan. “I don’t follow cricket as I used to before but the buzz and the excitement hasn’t escaped me. The song Karachi Jeetay Gaa (Karachi will win) by Pakistani singer-songwriter Ali Azmat has almost become my anthem since its grand launch last month at the National Stadium in Karachi,” said Pasha, who works on sales manager of an automotive company in Dubai.

The city of Bahawalpur from where Arshad Bashir, 31, is, doesn’t even have a team of their own in the two-legged round-robin tournament. Yet, the Dubai web developer is excited to see his countrymen rub shoulders with top international stars in T20 cricket – the shortest and easily the most entertaining format of the game.

“I may not be able to watch the matches from inside the stadium but will definitely keep an eye on the results,” said Bashir who will be following the fortunes of Islamabad United led by Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq and has in its ranks names like Aussie all-rounder Shane Watson and legend Wasim Akram as the team director.

University student Mariam Afridi, 24, makes no bones about her love for Peshawar Zalmi, the team that represents the provincial capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa where she is from.

“It will be a matter of immense pride to see our hero, our man Shahid Afridi walk out to lead our team at such a big stage,” she said, adding a victory will be a fitting tribute to the 132 school children who lost their lives in the 2014 Peshawar school massacre, Pakistan’s deadliest terrorist attack.

http://gulfnews.com/xpress/dubai/news/fans-can-t-wait-for-psl-to-start-1.1665510

40. Renaissance

Renaissance Formerly Goliath

Apr 29, 2012
    This is on ptv in the uk right... which i think is free iirc?