Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Prince Pathan, Dec 8, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Afridi to fly out 150 APS students for Pakistan Super League

PESHAWAR: Pakistan’s Twenty20 skipper Shahid Afridi will fly out 150 Army Public School (APS) students to Dubai to watch the inaugural edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), the all-rounder announced during a visit to the school on Tuesday.

PSL, Pakistan's franchise-based T20 league, starts next month from February 4 and will feature five teams: Islamabad United, Karachi Kings, Lahore Qalandars, Peshawar Zalmi and Quetta Gladiators.

Afridi, one of the league’s icon players and captain of the Peshawar side, distributed his team’s official kit to 30 students hailing from different schools of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The 35-year-old all-rounder said the drive of distributing Zalmi’s official kit was aimed at promoting talent in the province and spur them to support the Peshawar side.

“We have a huge [pool] of talent but not enough facilities. Once the PSL ends, I am going to distribute 1,000 official Zalmi kits among students,” said Afridi.

Earlier, Javed Afridi, chief executive of Haier Appliances and owner of Peshawar Zalmi, had dedicated his team to the children and teachers of the APS, who lost their lives in a brutal attack by the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan in December 2014.

“Whatever we win will be dedicated to the martyrs of APS. This is our cause, the city’s cause, KPK’s cause,” he said.

“Zalmi, meaning youth, is just not a cricket team. They are ambassadors of our frontiers, exponents of our sportsman spirit that lies in the hearts of every Pakistani.”

Javed Afridi also revealed that a “mega plan” for a cricket academy, established along the lines of the Manchester United Foundation, would be put in place to unearth local talent once the inaugural edition of the PSL ended.

“The whole idea behind this franchise is to promote the players from the North who have often been neglected in the past.”

http://www.dawn.com/news/1235503/afridi-to-fly-out-150-aps-students-for-pakistan-super-league

2. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    This is why Afridi is so blessed.

3. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    They are doing everything right, I just wish they had selected Younis Khan too. I do not even care if they win it is just the first year but would have been a nice gesture for our regions legend

4. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Very good gesture from Afridi. Though I don't agree with some of their selections for PSL but overall the campaign seems to have a noble cause and objective.

Would have been more amazing if PSL was happening back in the country even without any foreign players.

5. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

Which selections in particular if I may ask?

6. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Seniors like Wahab, Kami, Hafeez and Rehman. Even their overseas players like Tamim, Sammy & Hodge are aged. I agree these guys are good T20 players but the draft picks didn't match the ideology presented before the drafts or may be I misunderstood.

After naming their team on youngsters, I was expecting them to pick some upcoming players esp from the KPK region but instead it looks like we're going to see a depleted version of our current T20I team.

7. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

I guess the effort to pick Afridi essentially meant sacrificing the core of the Peshawar Panthers and other up and coming players from Khyber Pukhtunkhwa, Zohaib Khan, Mohammad Rizwan, Kamran Ghulam and Ifthikar Ahmed all got selected by the other teams which only left Israrullah, Taj Wali, Musadiq Ahmed, Imran Khan Jnr, Imran Khan Snr, Adil Amin, Rifatullah

They ignored Imran Khan Snr, Adil Amin (NO IDEA WHY) and Rifatullah.

Kamran is a good T20 opener so I do not mind him, Hafeez can be useful and I am sure he has a point to prove, also if he can bowl then it is a big plus point. Rehman is still my favourite Pakistani spinners and cricketers so glad to see him in the team. Has been unfairly under Ajmals shadow even though he did all the hard work in tests for Ajmal to capitalize on. To add to that my friend Mani speaks highly of him as he used to share nets and play tape ball cricket with him and ChandBhai in Sialkot. He also removed all barricades during the Ireland tour to sign peoples autographs, true champ.

Sammy is a big hitter in the death overs and bowls his quota quite economically too. Tamim is in red hot form. Brad Hodge yeah I agree is way too old lol but he can still hit the ball a long way. Even Allenby and Malan are in their 30s but both are fantastic T20 batsmen. The only young players in this team are Taj Wali, Israrullah, Hasan Ali and Muhammad Asghar and I am certain Muhammad Akram is to blame for that. Abdul Rehman looked quite dissapointed during the draft picks or maybe he just looks like that.

Not happy about Wahab though, he is not a t20 bowler and has always been so over hyped by our fans. His plus point is he bowls with a lot of passion but passion is not always going to win you games.

8. Vlad

Vlad Banned

Mar 7, 2015

I know this is controversial but what about those "fun-sized terrorists" who were killed deliberately in drone strikes under the direct supervision of USA and Pakistan military establishment? Any free tickets for them?
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/life-as-a-drone-pilot-creech-air-force-base-nevada

It's all cheap publicity and nothing else.

9. Vlad

Vlad Banned

Mar 7, 2015
    Getting sick of all these brands that try and use every situation.

10. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

Opposing the army is something nobody in Pakistan can do, it is considered a taboo and the men in Khaki are viewed as being omnipotent. Mentioning their human rights violations is practically as bad as blasphemy there.

Afridi is no exception to this. You cannot call this a publicity stunt though, he is very actively involved in charities and so is Javed Afridi. This APS attack has hit a lot of people very hard and if people help them it is unfair to call it a publicity stunt

11. Renaissance

Renaissance Formerly Goliath

Apr 29, 2012
    Still no sign of kits and merchandise lol with 9 days to go... only karachi have two tshirts on their website don't think any of the other teams have anything

12. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    The Zalmi shirts are coming soon but it wont come soon enough, kind of pissing me off, it will also probably take like 3 weeks to deliver so basically by the time the tournament finishes. Going to be ordering Quetta and Peshawar

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    MCL beating PSL in the marketing battle of the UAE-based cricket leagues

DUBAI // It did not take long to spot the canny marketing ploy. When Mohammed Hafeez crashed a four into the digital boards marking the perimeter at Eden Park, in the opening game of Pakistan’s limited overs series against New Zealand, there it was. A luminous advertisement proclaiming the forthcoming Masters Champions League.

It might not have been guerrilla marketing per se, but it was opportunistic. Cheeky, even. By hitting those boundaries, Pakistan’s national team players were peppering a sign plugging a tournament which will be overlapping, and therefore in competition with, their own board’s new flagship event.

Branding for the Pakistan Super League, the long-awaited, Pakistan Cricket Board-organised Twenty20 extravaganza, was conspicuous by its absence.

Even in Dubai, where both competitions will be starting, staggered by a week, it is signs heralding the arrival of the tournament for retired players, rather than current Pakistan ones, which are most visible.

MCL, which begins on Thursday evening at the Dubai International Stadium staked its claim first on this patch.

Pakistan, annoyed that an independent enterprise should be allowed to infringe on its special relationship with the Emirates Cricket Board flirted with moving PSL to Qatar.

Then it brought its influence to bear to claim back the grounds where its national team play their home matches in exile, and crashed the MCL agenda.

Still, though, officially there is no feud between the MCL and the PSL. “We have no grievance against MCL,” Najam Sethi, the PSL chairman, said at the league’s launch at the Conrad hotel in Dubai last week.

“It is an independent tournament that is different from what we are trying to do. We hope it works.

“We obviously think we have a better brand. We think we have more eyeballs, and when the PSL eventually comes to Pakistan it will be a different ball game altogether.”

Evidence since then suggests relations between the two competitions are less than convivial. Pakistan, for instance, are demanding that any players from their country declare themselves retired if they want to play MCL — no matter how far they are gone from international cricket.

The International Cricket Council have written to the organisers of the legends event, too, reminding them of their mandate that only retired players be involved.

That remains tenuous, at best. Marketing blurb relating to the MCL teams claims the “players must all have been former international cricketers who are now retired from all forms of the professional sport”. There are plenty who are not, though. Many still have county or provincial contracts.

Take Shaun Tait, for example. He was initially signed to Libra Legends. He has since shelved that plan, realising you can be too long retired, switched to the PSL instead — and, remarkably, has had his international career revived, too, by being selected to play T20s for Australia against India.

Zafar Shah, the founder of the MCL, is firm on the fact his league is for greats of the past, though.

“With the MCL, they can retire proudly, when they are at the peak rather than sliding down the other side of the cliff,” Zafar said.

“For two years, people did not talk about [Virender Sehwag, the Gemini Arabians captain]. He didn’t play for India, and even in the IPL, he didn’t score much.

“By joining us, his graph lifted again. He can have three or four years with us, and it will be more relaxed.”

Cricket supporters in the UAE will be spoilt for choice over the next three weeks. On some days, it will be impossible to attend both, as matches clash.

For the rest of the time, the limits of supporters’ disposable income will also decide which competition gets ahead.

Clearly, each will have differing characters. The PSL has the greater quantity of active players, but a far smaller quota of household names. That said, it does have the No 1 crowd-puller for matches in the UAE: Shahid Afridi.

Pakistan want their T20 league to become the world’s second best, after the unrivalled Indian Premier League, yet accept it is going to be difficult to make it profitable before it returns to its homeland.

Obviously, there is no time scale on when that might happen. The MCL, by contrast, has an agreement to stage their event in UAE stadiums for the next 10 years.

The people backing it are UAE-based business people, who are confident it can take root in the domestic sporting landscape, beyond the time the PSL returns home.

“Everybody can have their own choice, but PSL is a totally different format where they have young players playing the game,” Anis Sajan, the owner of MCL-franchise Sagittarius Strikers, said.

“MCL was the first idea. Zafar came out all guns blazing that he wanted to go ahead with this tournament, despite competition from PSL. Every problem has a solution. I see a bright future for this tournament.”

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/cri...eting-battle-of-the-uae-based-cricket-leagues

14. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Mustafizur cannot be risked: Papon

Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hassan Papon has said that pacer Mustafizur Rahman has 'very little chance' of taking part in the Pakistan Super League, due to take place in Dubai next month.

The president also indicated that the left-arm pacer might be provided with financial compensation if he does not get to take part in the T20 competition.

"He is not very strong yet and is working on building his muscles. And because he expressed some pain in the last match, we cannot take any chances regarding him. We need him for the T20 World Cup.

"As of now he is not completely fit. If he does regain fitness, he will play the Asia Cup and if he does well there then he will play the World Cup, but it will be difficult to send him outside. I would say that there is very little chance of him playing in the PSL," said Papon.

"We may give him compensation if he misses out. It's something we will discuss in the board meeting," he added.

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/cricket/mustafizur-cannot-be-risked-papon-207991

15. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    How are they planning to make up for the loss of the "opted out" players? Another supplementary draft?

16. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Think you can approach any player outside PSL and if he agrees you sign him up.

Zalmi named Plunket for Jordan and then tait for Plunket.

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    PCB don't want to make the inaugural look like a tamasha league. They mean serious business

18. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    He's not very strong and is building muscles

19. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Anything on the TV coverage?

20. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

Geo, PTV, Ten Sports....
    The usual, hopefully though it is shot with proper HD cameras and not a potato

21. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Yh but that's in Pak/UAE etc...i was talking about here in the UK (if any of the Pak channels are going to even bother showing it here, Sky Sports obviously wont).

22. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

No clue man, so far proving to be your usual unprofessional tournament. I remember when IPL started it was on Setanta Sports, then EuroSports, Then SkySports.

I doubt our board will be willing to part with money to make this happen.Obviously if it has not happened yet, it wont be happening anytime soon. Showing this on SkySports is the best way to make this tournament popular, especially with all the English players involved.

Billings,Vince, Malan, KP (Saffer but played for England), Luke Wright, Jim Allenby (Aussie but plays in England)

There are some big names that will garner interest: Afridi, Gayle, Watson, Hodge, Tait, Sammy, Russel, Bravo, Sangakarra, Dilshan. PCB are full of clowns except for Sheryar Khan, he seems likeable

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Ali Zafar, Sean to lead Pakistan Super League opening ceremony celebrations

Renowned Pakistani artist Ali Zafar and global hip-hop sensation Sean Paul will set the stage alight at the opening ceremony of HBL Pakistan Super League.

The T20 tournament from Pakistan will bring top international cricketers to Dubai and Sharjah. The opening game between Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators will be preceded by a star-studded opening ceremony at the Dubai Cricket Stadium.

Cricketers from all five teams will be present at the ceremony as they announce their arrival on the HBL PSL stage. Also part of the ceremony will be an exciting act from the latest Pakistani movie Bachaana.

Lead actors Sanam Saeed and Mohib Mirza will re-enact their on-screen magic for fans at the stadium.

Introducing LED wristbands to the public in Dubai, the HBL PSL opening ceremony will also provide fans with an opportunity to have their own free branded LED wristbands.

Ali Zafar said: "I am proud to announce that I will be performing at the opening ceremony. It is definitely going to be a lot of fun and fans are in for a huge surprise from me."

In a video message to his fans, Sean Paul invited them to attend the ceremony. "I will be in Dubai on the 4th of February 2016 for the HBL Pakistan Super League. Hope to see you there!"

Fans can buy tickets starting from Dh20 for the opening ceremony and the opening game.

Tickets are available at kyazoonga.ae/psl and at branches of AJ Sports, Al Fardan Exchange, Barbecue Delights, Kulcha King, Sindh Punjab, Delhi Nihari, Karachi Darbar, TCS and Tandoori Junction.

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/c...ing-ceremony-celebrations-2016-01-28-1.619075

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Umpires, referees in a fix as PSL yet to name officials for matches

LAHORE: While it is time to give final touches to all matters relating to the much-publicized Pakistan Super League (PSL) that commences in less than a week’s time in the UAE, the fact is that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is yet to answer many key questions about the mega project.

Only six days are left before the start of the high-profile PSL, scheduled to be held in Dubai and Sharjah, but the authorities concerned have dozens of problems at hand and are yet to announce the appointment of umpires and referees for the matches. However, people in the PCB are trying to pose as if PSL is all set for a grand and smooth launching which is, indeed, far from the truth.

In Lahore, there is a great concern prevailing among the elite panel of the PCB umpires and referees about their appointments in the PSL matches. “We are hoping that most of the elite panel umpires and referees of the PCB will be appointed to supervise these matches along with international umpires,” stated one of the referees of the elite panel while talking to Dawn. “But we are also concerned as there are reports that there is not much in store for us,” he added.

Another umpire of the elite panel, while showing concern, said the local umpires had pinned high hopes on the PSL after the lack of international matches in the country during the past six years had deprived them of the opportunities, but the picture doesn’t seem to be too rosy for them.

He disclosed that the news emerging from the PSL camp are not encouraging for them since only a couple of umpires and referees are likely to get a chance to officiate.

Interestingly, the PSL authorities have issued details about the opening ceremony of the PSL but nothing has come out about the cricketing matters, especially in reference to the umpires and referees.

Meanwhile, it has also been learnt that among the three prominent foreign cricketers who will be playing in the PSL for different franchises, hard-hitting West Indian batman Chris Gayle is yet to confirm his participation for Lahore Qalandars due to reasons best known to him.

However, a key PCB official claimed that the dashing opener would certainly be reaching Dubai on Feb 2 to feature in the PSL.

Published in Dawn, January 29th, 2016

http://www.dawn.com/news/1235979/umpires-referees-in-a-fix-as-psl-yet-to-name-officials-for-matches

25. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Shabash... doing just as expected from PCB.

26. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Note sure if these are authentic

27. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    HBL banking on opportunity

28. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Sean Paul's paindoo message

29. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Look nice but fake, you can tell by the collars on the Zalmi shirt which is supposed to be pure blue. I like this collar though, much bigger unlike the really small Zalmi one

30. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    This is the official kit for Zalmi

31. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  32. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    giving role of waitor to Gul lmao

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Prime TV, lol just gets better. Don't think they have ever shown the cricket before. Let's see what the coverage is like

34. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I don't even know which channel is that. Still not sure if these matches will be reaching to all parts of globe.

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Iv seen the channel on my skybox, never watched it. Oh well there is always a first. Timing for these games is not going to be too bad for us in the U.K.

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  38. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    PSL plan grand opening with Misbah as skipper

DUBAI - Pakistan star Misbah Ul Haq will be seen in the role of captain on the opening day of the HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL) at the Dubai International stadium on February 4 as organisers are planning a grand opening of the league.

All preparations for the Pakistan’s Cricket Board’s Twenty20 extravaganza is now in full swing with teams having training camps and practice matches at Pakistan’s different venues.

Misbah will lead the Islamabad United team in the opening match against Quetta Gladiators. Speaking to Gulf News from Karachi, Tauseef Ahmad, the legendary off spinner, who is the assistant coach of the Islamabad United team, said: “We have just decided to have Misbah as our captain and we are undergoing rigorous training and playing practice matches. We will arrive in UAE on January 31 and be among the first teams to come there as we are playing the opening match of the tournament.”

Renowned Pakistani artist Ali Zafar and hip-hop sensation Sean Paul will perform during the opening ceremony. Cricketers from all five teams will be paraded during the ceremony. Also part of the ceremony will be an exciting act from the latest Pakistani movie ‘Bachaana’. Lead actors Sanam Saeed and Mohib Mirza will re-enact their on-screen magic for fans at the stadium.

To try to make it affordable for fans, the starting rate for the tickets is Dh20. To make it colourful, the organisers are planning to introduce LED wristbands to the public in Dubai.

The Islamabad team has Dean Jones as head coach. “We have a balanced team with a mix of West Indies and Australian players. Samuel Badree of West Indies and Shane Watson and Brad Haddin of Australia are part of the team with the tall Mohammad Irfan spearheading the bowling attack,” said Tauseef, who knows the conditions in the UAE as a star player in the Sharjah Cricketers Benefit Fund series, and also as a coach here after his playing days. In a video message to his fans, Sean Paul invited everyone to attend the ceremony. “I will be in Dubai on the 4th of February, 2016 for the HBL Pakistan Super League. Hope to see you there,” he said.

Tickets are available for purchase online at kyazoonga.ae/psl and at branches of AJ Sports, Al Fardan Exchange, Barbecue Delights, Kulcha King, Sindh Punjab, Delhi Nihari, Karachi Darbar, TCS and Tandoori Junction.

http://nation.com.pk/sports/30-Jan-2016/psl-plan-grand-opening-with-misbah-as-skipper

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Aleem Dar and Joel Wilson to lead #PSLt20 match official team

Aleem Dar and Joel Wilson head a list of seven umpires and two match referees for the Pakistan Super League 2016 (PSL).

Worries had been expressed that Pakistani umpires would be ignored by the PSK, but leading Pakistani umpires Ahsan Raza, Shozab Raza, Ahmad Shahab, Rashid Riaz and Khalid Mehmood are also included on the match officials panel.

The match referees will be former Sri Lankan cricketer and ICC referee Roshan Mahanama and Pakistani Muhammad Anees.

The inaugural tournament gets underway on 4 February.

The opening game between Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators will be proceeded by the tournament’s opening ceremony at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.

http://cricketbadger.com/2016/01/psl-aleem-dar-and-joel-wilson-to-lead-pslt20-match-official-team/