Pakistan A crash out of Sri Lankan tri-series

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Sep 2, 2010.

Pakistan A crash out of Sri Lankan tri-series

by Abdul Habib
Sep 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    mohammad-irfan-nca-speed-gun.png

Pakistan A needed to beat Sri Lanka A today, that's if they were to stand any chance of making the tri-series final. However, due to bad light, the game had to be called off with two overs remaining. Sri Lanka A had numbers 10 and 11 batting and Pakistan A will rue the fact that one good delivery could've won the game for them.

Junaid Khan took 3 wickets for 41 runs and legspinner Yasir Shah took 2 wickets for 52 runs. But it was the near 7 foot fast bowler Mohammad Irfan who caused Sri Lanka A the most problems taking 3 wickets for a miserly 30 runs. This means that Irfan is currently the joint highest wicket taker in the tournament with 7 scalps to his name.

Normally Irfan is seen bowling in the power plays with the new ball but for this tournament Irfan came on later in the innings to bowl with an older ball. Irfan feels that this experience will hold him in good stead because he isn't very used to bowling with the old ball.

"I'm usually given the shiny new ball and I'm used to making the most of the shine during the power plays. However during this tournament I was faced with a different challenge. I came on first change and had to make use of an older ball. It was a bit of a struggle because bowling with an older ball requires a totally different technique." Irfan told Cricistan.com

Irfan's figures are 7 wickets in 3 games at an average of 20. So I asked Irfan if he felt that he was beginning to understand how to bowl with the old ball now.

"It's true that I have struggled with the old ball in previous games but that was because I don't get much chance to use the old ball. During this tournament I've been mixing my deliveries up in the latter stages of the game. Yorkers and bouncers alongside good length deliveries have proved to be effective." Irfan explained to Cricistan.com

Irfan said that although he's taken 7 wickets during the A tournament he also took another 3 wickets during a T20 game between Pakistan A and the Sri Lankan domestic T20 champions.

"We played a side game against Sri Lanka's domestic T20 champions. We batted first scoring 169/5 with 54 from Asad Shafiq and 42 from Naved Yasin. Then we restricted them to 152/9 to win the game. I took 3/22 with Junaid taking 3/31 and Zulfiqar Babar taking 2/43." Irfan recalled for Cricistan.com

Irfan is bowling well and is in good form as is Junaid Khan who has also been taking a lot of wickets too. Let's hope the selectors are watching.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments