1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

PAK fielders

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Observer, May 5, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    It's not only BUTTerfinger, who has problems in the field - though he is maybe one of the worst.

Here are some statistics which clearly show our weak side i.e. the fielding. If you look at the statistic for Most consecutive matches without a catch - regardless of ODI or test - there are as far as I can see SEVERAL PAK players in these lists, and if you look at the statistic showing Most consecutive matches with a catch (excluding wicketkeepers) then there are NONE PAK players.

PAK players are BAD catchers in general......Q.E.D. :)

Link:
    The List: | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

2. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Our team lacks professionalism. Players realize that they can be kicked out even if they perform well. The overall atmosphere of the dressing room is confusing which shows on the field. We are not as bad as we have been performing in the last 4 years.

3. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    The inabilty to field simply stems from the grassroots of Pakistani cricket.

No one is interested in being able to chase the ball down, dive or throw themsleves about.

Im guessing the youngsters in domestic cricket see the older generation no making an effort and its the case of monkey see monkey do.

4. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    It's not that simple. One main factor are the grounds Pakistan (I am not speaking about the few stadiums). The ordinary cricket grounds are almost as hard as stone and no one dare to dive in fear of breaking their legs and arms. Once the fear is induced in the players, then it can be quite difficult to get rid of. One idea could be that the top players are offered opportunities to get used to better facilities by participating in a greater number of camps on grounds that are not hard.

5. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    1) How do you explain Fawads, Umars, Nazirs and Afridis abilty to dive around? Did they grow up on lush green grounds?

2) How does India produce 11 great fielders? They possess lush green grounds?

3) A rough, firm and non lush ground does not effect a players abilty to catch the ball or even run after a ball, these are things the Pak players are incapable of doing.

Finally, fielding is sort of a culture its something that can become infecitous. Teams like Aus, SA and India infect each other with a good fiedling culture. Pak players, unfortunately, infect each other with a bad fielding culture.

6. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    @Qazaa

The names you have mentioned are good fielders (maybe except Umar, who I regard as an average fielder on the international scene) and I could also add to that list (f.ex. Shoaib Malik), but the issue is that the ratio of bad fielders is higher than almost any other test playing nation.

I am not saying either that it is only green fields which produces good fielders. What I am saying is that the hard grounds are a main factor and off course on top of it we have the attitude of PCB i.e. they are not consistently training the players to get better fielders. It seems like they every now and then have a concentrated effort without putting the issue into an integral part of the practice.

I don't fully agree with you on hard grounds doesn't have any say on catching. Many catches are taken while diving - especially the good ones.

Btw: I don't rate Indian fielders as high as Australians, South Africans, English fielders- though they are not as bad as some PAK fielders.....generally speaking.

7. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    The lack of proper grounds and proper fielding coaches can be a reason for bad ground fielding, but in the last few years our players have been unable to take most simplest of catches, including our main wicket keeper, which has cost us matches on more than a few occasions. This surely cannot be because of lack of proper grounds. The most disappointing thing is that the main culprits have been our younger players, the butts and akmals, and not the afridis and mailks and misbahs.

8. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    Are you guys watching Afghanistan play?

Even they can dive!! And as far as i care they dont have the facilities that Pak have!!

One word for Pak player, Attitude, unfortunately it stinks.

9. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Pak's fielding has been an issue from the 90's not something that's cropped up in the last few years...Attitude towards the game from the Pak players is a main reason too behind the lack of putting 100% commitment to the game by each of the 11 players.

No matter how much Waqar or anyone in the management go on about Pak having some really "intense" fielding sessions is all stuff that is hyped out of proportion to make headlines and cricket followers believe that something is being done but when the real test comes its absolutely ZILCH!

10. Cricket_MN

Cricket_MN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 25, 2010
    This I heard some time back (on another pak forum) about why Pakistan always produce bad fielders. And I kind of agree with this theory.

In Pakistan (may happen in India too) usually what happens is that when you are a kid and are able to bat / bowl good then you are included in the team just for that purpose. Others are included in the team just for fielding.

So, when these kids grow up, the ones who become kind of decent batsmen/bowlers gets to play at the first class level where as the good fielders are left out /forgotten, I mean have you heard any local team hiring any player on the basis of fielding? So, only the batsmen / bowlers get picked by the local teams like UBL, Habib Bank etc;etc; and they are the ones who get picked at the national level.

Hence we have such a crapy lazy A$$ good for nothing fielders

Now some times out of these who gets to play at the international level some do improve but some like BUTT never learns. Forget the current coach, even if you have Johnty Road coaching someone liek BUTT for whole one years on a one on one basis he will never ever improve. .

Once in a while you do come across good fielders like Fawad Alam, Imran Nazir, Ijaz Ahmed(90s) but there aren't many and you can literally count them on fingers.

11. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    So waht do you guys suggest is the solution?

12. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    And i agree. Unfortunately its damn obvious that our players in domestic don't give a damn about fielding, its only about bowling and batting. Plus our players are not as fit as other international players, they don't enjoy fielding. For fielding in addition to technique the most important thing is concentration. Which our players lack.
    So here are my suggestions.

1) I believe they should be registered for a spot of YOGA or something like that to develop concentration.
    2) Physical Training and fitness.

13. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    No doubt that's ALSO an attitude problem. Obviously the fielding problem has many facets :-(

14. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    There is only ONE overall solution and that is PCB become a professional setup. Once that is in place the rest is a formality!

15. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    Say they cant become professional, coz they wont.

Whats the solution then?

16. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    While professional PCB is a catchy slogan, how do you relate fielding with PCB being a professional body. And what is meant by PCB becoming a professional body.

17. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I agree.

Nassar Hussian “you can bat and bowl but if you can’t field you won’t win” Skysports: 2010-05-06

And if you feel it doesn’t stem from grassroot level then look at the likes of England, South Africa, and Australia etc....

These sides actually enjoy fielding whereas our boys look for the first excuse back into the dressing room.

Three catches dropped by Ajmal:confused:

18. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    salman butt cannot field
    and ajmal just had a one off bad day.
    Usually he has a safe pair of hands.

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    maybe the PCB should give players in the national team say $50 usd per catch, it gives players an incentive to want to improve fielding and try catching rather than saying they tried, im sure this would drastically improve our fielding.

In the past few years we have lost most of our matches due to dropped catches and batting collapses rather than bowling.

Our bowlers have to take 20 wickets rather than 10 to bowl out the opposition.

20. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    I also dont agree with players being 'gym' fit. Players in the past used to play more matches and had less injuries because they were actually match fit rather than gym fit, they used to train there bodies to cope with the stresses of the batting/bowling rather than sculpting their bodies so they look good on the beach.

21. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    This might be hard for you guys o understand but i liked Ajmals reaction to dropping the catch's.

He was seething inside with himself. I dont mind a man who hates himself for setting bad fielding standards. On the other hand, you have Misbah who will smile after dropping a catch.

22. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    No. it's NOT a catchy slogan. It's about having professional/knowledgeable persons to lead the cricket board on the basis om merit and not on the basis of nepotism. It's about having CONSISTENT policies and not the likings and disliking of an individual PCB boss, who is set on the cricket throne by a Zardari or a Musharraf. This ad hoc way of leading the cricket board has witnessed many weird decisions. Coaches are fired and hired, captains are selected and fired like nowhere in the world. Selectors cannot do their job without interference from people who should have NO say, when you have selectors.

Personally, I am sure that once we have a professional and competent PCB setup, then much crap will disappear after a period of getting used to rules and regulations and the whole way of streamlined running of PCB.

23. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    While your points are all valid, and in an ideal world would work out, but lets take the board chairman for example. Should he be elected. Or should he be hired. Or should a bureaucrat head the board. Should the board chairman be allowed to have his own team in PCB. What kind of qualification should be looked at for the Board Chairman. These are all kinds of questions that needs to be answered.

24. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    I think it will be a good idea to start a new thread. I am working on it and wil start it in short while.

25. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010