1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

New ball bowlers post Asif & Amir era

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Wasim, Nov 6, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    The more you watch today's bowlers, the more you appreciate the two W's; they were exceptional with both new and old ball.

Today, it seems everyone prefers the old ball.

Shoaib Akhtar remains the fastest bowler at 35. The fit, furious fighter is our best bowler. But why isn't he swinging the new ball? We've recently seen Anderson, Broad, Steyn etc swing the new ball in same conditions.

Razzaq is, unfortunately, our other new ball bowler at the moment. I cant recall him swinging the new ball well, not even in his prime. He was never a new ball bowler. All of his historical performances have come with the old ball. Even today he would prefer the old ball.

Gul is well known exponent of reverse swinging the old ball and almost nothing with the new ball.

Wahab is being used as a first change bowler. Again, his impressive bits have come with the old ball reversing.

Rana is probably the best new ball bowler in recent times I can remember who can actually swing the ball. He's also an expert with the old ball.

Sohail Tanvir is the other guy who likes the new cherry and swings it well. I dont think I've ever seen him reverse swing though.

Aizaz Cheema was swinging the new ball very effectively in the RBS T20 earlier this year. I dont know about his old ball exploits.

Anwar Ali will always be remember for his remarkable banana inswingers from that under 19 world cup, even if he never makes it to Pakistan team. But does he even have an outswinger yet?

Mohammed Sami lost his new ball swing long time ago.

Rao Iftikhar could swing the new ball a bit, but he was still used as first change bowler. I wouldn't be surprised he too prefers the old ball.

Yasir Arafat and Hammad Azam too operate with the old ball.

Tanvir Ahmed has been on the bench of the national squad forever now, and we dont know much about him except that he has a good record.

We need a new ball bowler who can preferably swing a bit to get the opposition in some trouble. Shoaib Akhtar would have been devastating had he been swinging the new ball. But as it shows, his pace by itself wont get the top players too often. At least one guy from the other end should be able to swing, and it aint Razzaq.

Of these bowlers above, I'd like Rana to be drafted in to the ODI side and T20 side. He can swing the new ball, the old ball, has at least two very effective slower ones, and he can bat as well.

2. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Why dont they give a chance to tanveer ahmad

3. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    You forgot to include Mohammad Irfan.

Furture of pace bowling look pretty bleak for at least next 2-3 years. There is nobody in your list who could be even 75% decent as Aamir and Asif. Our best hope is that Aamir/Asif get 1-2 year ban then come back with a bang. Otherwise we'll have to rely on a new miracle bowler coming out of nowhere just like Waqar, Wasim and Aamir.

4. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    We had the complete package in Amir, brilliant with the new ball and was becoming a fantastic exponent of reverse-swing...and then he messed it all up. Moron. :(

5. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I dont think Sohail Tanvir will ever return to Pakistan team, heard he just got injuried again

6. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Everyone messed it up. Two W's probably committed bigger sins than him. They just never got caught on tape.

7. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    All of our bowlers come from nowhere. Wahab looks another good prospect. I wouldn't want Asif back, he's a serial offender. Aamer could be let back in. In fact, how's bowling a no ball throwing away a match? All the joy he brought was worth it.

8. ManHOOS

ManHOOS Talented

Sep 19, 2010
    OMG wat happened to Sohail Tanvir he was in superb form

9. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Welll he din't play for tarqiati bank third game, some ppl are saying he is injuried, lets just hope, he is alrite

10. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    The dicussion will digress to "spot fixing" but I think, our players were framed and the problem is that our players knowlingly got framed knwoling .....and provided perfect oppertunity got NOTW, Mazhar majeed and ICC to jump on our case. Why did they "intentionaly" bowled no-balls .. if they did. They should have known the consequences.

It was just like this American TV show ... called "Bait Car".
    Bait Car on truTV: Real car thieves caught in the act

In this show, police leaves a brand new (bugged) car un-locked in shoddy neighborhood. When somebody gets into the car and drives away, police following the car and then arrests the "theif".

11. jijekjj

jijekjj Youngsta Beauty

Sep 27, 2010
    There r lot of up coming fast bowlers in pakistan..........im naming some of them u can check their statistics

M Rameez..........20 years

Junaid khan,,,,,,,,,,,20 years

Asad Ali,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,22 years

M Talha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,26 years

there r lot of others but they r ready 4 International cricket,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

About M Amir and M Asif ,,,,,,,,what pcb r doing with them i dnt think they will play 4 pak again.....if this happens it will be bad for pak cricket

12. mahmood

mahmood Youngsta Beauty

Nov 6, 2010
    can anyone tell me howi can post new posts so they come on the main page??
    i am new guys,, add me!

13. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    junaid khan he can swing the ball he is really gud

14. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    same here i dnt knw to sum old member plzzzzz hellllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppp

15. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    What do you want to know?

16. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    The great man Jeff Lawson gave Australians a different perspective.
    "The first time I met Mohammad Amir was when he was 16 years old, coming to an under-19s camp. He comes from a small village near the Swat valley and was delayed by three hours because the Taliban had closed the highway. That doesn't happen in this country. One thing that struck me about Amir was his constant smile, his zest for the game. That has not changed.

I will never condone any form of fixing, but we should consider that a cricketer might not be thinking of personal gain but of getting money to buy a generator for his village because they don't have electricity.

I had a lot to do with Mohammad Asif and he was always missing training sessions to look after his sick mother. He has spent a lot of his money on looking after his family."

17. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    I think you want to start a new topic, or called a "thread". Look for the green "create a topic" button on the top left of the cricket forum page.

18. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    No, he does not come from Swat Valley. I think, his village is in Punjab, close to Gujar Khan. But what is your point as far as Lawson's quote is concerned?

By the way, Aamir didn't buy any generator for his village. He bought a house for crores of Rs in Defence, Lahore.

So, you approve corruption/bribes/etc, if the money was spent on right causes?

19. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Aamer is from Gujar Khan which is located in Rawalpindi

20. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Would you bowl a one off no ball if you could build a hospital for the poor, help the flood victims or even save just one life?

21. mahmood

mahmood Youngsta Beauty

Nov 6, 2010
    thnx brother, may allah help u and me succeed in our lifes..ameen!

22. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    No....absolutely not.... because,

....Imran Khan, Edhi, Abrar-ul-Haq and many others have done charity work without doing any hanky-panky.

.....I could also, donate money from the millions of Rs I get from endorsments or county contracts, etc.

..... above all, I will never do it becuase if I get caught, then I would bringing disrepute and shame to my country ....and make myself, team and the country a laughing stock of the world.

23. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    well you see wahab may be able to swing the ball but does he ever get the chance to ball with the new ball?

24. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Need Rana back in the side, great variations, Sami wouldnt be too bad looking at the bowlers we have on offer. They are good decent bowlers but cant see any that standout like Aamer

25. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Pakistan need new ball bowlers right?

Who is better than Sadaf Hussain - Can swing it both way, is tall hence get decent bounce, most of his wickets are top and middle order batsmen, been at the top of stats pile most of his career

So.... time to finally select him and see what he is made of?

26. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Pakistan ddon't need new ball bowlers..

Junaid & Irfan are quite effective with new ball.. we need someone who can bowl in middle overs and at death.

27. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Riaz par mehnat chal rahi hai filhaal, he's got to establish himself now.

28. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    ^ Exactly Junaid and Irfan are the best new ball bowlers in the country. What we need right now is a good first change bowler.

29. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I
    He was a great option when we had 1 new ball and he got it reversing in the middle overs... now with the 2 new balls rule he usually ends up getting tonked all over the ground. .....

30. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Riaz used to be good but two new balls rule has made him a bit ineffective, if Gul could quit bowling short and learn how to bowl his yorkers more consistently he'd be the perfect choice for the first change seamer in ODIs and T20Is.

31. Pakfast

Pakfast Talented

May 8, 2013
    All the potential bowlers mentioned in this thread are either tried and tested failures or have lost their touch. What we need is 1 other new ball bowler, some one with pace and vigor. There are loads in the domestic circuit going around, zia ul haq, Sadaf hussain, bilawal Buhatti etc. what these new players need is a consistent run, not just a solitary chance on a flat deck.

There is little chance that these players might be selected let alone play. Our great captain and selectors play bowlers as batsman on the pretext of strengthening our weak batting, a.k.a hafeez and afridi. Untill these 2, or at-least one of them retires/gets booted out, we will continue to suffer.

32. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

Both of them have plans to play until the 2015 WC.

Both of them are causing an unbalance in the team. Solution? Give an ultimatum to Hafeez. Move down to 6/7 or get out. Afridi should be thrown out and only be persisted with in T20s...

33. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Junaid isn't taking many wickets with the new ball. He is troubling them and being economical but not taking wickets

34. Raanjhana

Raanjhana Youngsta Beauty

Jun 24, 2013
    he is primarily a seam bowler. Unless he gets pitches like Headingley or the ones like in the last Indo-Pak series, he will not be a wicket taking bowler. He is at best a third seamer who is great with the old ball. If Asif and Amir were still here, Pakistan would quite easily have the best bowling lineup in the world, even better than the Saffers.

35. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    He failed on seaming SA while He took 5-fors on flat Sri Lankan tracks. And Sri Lankan batsmen are no joke at home