Mohammad Irfan will be playing for Moddershall Cricket Club

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 30, 2010.

Mohammad Irfan will be playing for Moddershall Cricket Club

by Abdul Habib
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    moddershall-cricket-club.png

Cricistan.com's own giant left arm bowler will be coming to England from mid-April to play in the Premier Division of the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League. Additionally Ijaz Ahmed Jr will be playing for Modderhall's A side this season

Irfan who only debuted in first class cricket last season, has had a very successful first season playing for KRL in the Pakistan domestic. He took 43 wickets in the 10 first class games he played. He's also represented Pakistan's National Cricket Academy against Afghanistan and Pakistan A, impressing a lot of people along the way.

Currently Irfan is training with the Pakistan cricket team at a national camp in Lahore where he's caught the eye of national coach Waqar Younis. Waqar who was impressed with Irfan's control, has been advising Irfan on the correct line and lengths to bowl for his height.

Moddershall Cricket Club was founded in 1922 and has previously been home to former Pakistan A legspinner Imran Tahir. Tahir claimed 80 wickets for Moddershall en route to their 2008 North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League Premier Division title success. Tahir now plays for the Titans in South Africa and is now hoping to play for the South African national team.

Moddershall is also the club that Rangana Herath was playing for when Sri Lanka called him up to face Pakistan last year. Herath ended up taking 15 wickets in 3 games.

Hopefully Irfan can pick up some of that Moddershall magic and get noticed this coming season.

Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Will be a short stint since he'll have to join Pak team for the official tour of England. :)

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Insha Allah, it would be awesome if that happened. What a rags to riches type story that would be.

However more realistically I think we're about 6 months too early on that score, that's if it ever happens.

When I think back to the day I was on the phone to Aqib Javed trying to convince him to take a look at a 7 foot giant that he didnt believe even existed and then I think to where Irfan is today, it's just unbelievable what he's ALREADY achieved.

3. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      I agree that he is 6 months away ... but given the history of handing over the caps too soon & too early, I think this one cap I won't mind being handed 6 month early.

If Aaqib Javed, Fazal-e-Akbar, Ata-ur-Rahman, Yasir Arafat, Wasim Akram and Umar Gul can be given a debut before they turned 19, I am sure we can afford to have Irfan get 6-months on the job training.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I was talking to Andy from Moddershall CC earlier today and they're really excited to have Irfan at their club. I sent Andy the link to Irfan's bowling video and he was impressed with Irfan's sheer size and menace.

Andy clearly has more confidence in Irfan than the PCB because he was saying that he was a little worried that Irfan might get called up mid-season to play for Pakistan. The same thing happened to Moddershall last season when Herath got called up to Sri Lanka and promptly destroyed Pakistan. So blame Andy and Moddershall for Pakistan's lost test series in Sri Lanka last year!!

5. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
      must say that I was pretty skeptical when you guys were starting this project... (nothing against you folks... it's just my nature).. but amazing what he has achieved already. looks like he is well respected in first class.

this is the stuff that movies should be made on. a Pakistani movie about a 7-footer who supported by some passionate fans goes on to make the national team. what a story!

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      @MT

I never even got to see Irfan bowling till Kashif shot that video of him in the nets and none of us had seen him bowling in a match situation until Cricistan released that exclusive video of Irfan demolishing the Karachi Whites.

7. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      I honestly think we have come a long way since then too. Yes, we heard about him but never did we really think we were going to get somewhere with it. We just wanted to give our best. One must never forget Aaqib Javed role in all this. How many people in PCB would take our word and decide to give two youngsters a chance? Then the likes of Sohail joined in and worked really hard with Irfan.

I mean it seems like yesterday we were thinking how Irfan is going to travel to lahore whom will he stay with and how is he going to eat etc. Today he is playing along the national cricketers and going to UK. Well done boy!

8. Younis-fan

Younis-fan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
      What a story only last year he was losing hope as they were sent home from the academy but joining KRL was a master stroke.

9. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
      A couple of quick questions guys. I realise they may have been asked before but I'm not sure:

How old is Irfan? I mean what his his actual age not his 'Pakistani' age?

How tall is he really? Any exact measurement?

Thanks in advance.

And I have to say that I didn't think the lad would ever play for Pakistan. I thought to myself that realistically he'll have a decent career in first class cricket and considering where he started off that would be a huge achievement in itself. And ofcourse I don't mean that in a negative way.

But I'm happy to say that with talk of being selected for Pakistan, Irfan is proving me wrong. I've always supported him especially knowing the many hurdles he's had to overcome to achieve his dream of playing cricket at a professional level.

I hope he really shines at Moddershall. Also, I wonder what his fieldings like? :confused:

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I've been speaking to Andy about Irfan for around 3 months now, Irfan told me late last year that he'd been signed by Moddershall CC. Both Irfan and the club thought it was best to keep it quiet until his work permit had been approved, it was approved last week.

Moddershall have arranged for Irfan to sit the ECB Level 2 coaching course and as a result Irfan has been trying to learn English around his busy schedule. If Irfan passes the coaching course then he'll be holding coaching classes for local kids every week.

All in all it looks like a great deal for him and Moddershall are really excited about having the near 7 footer in their ranks. They were hoping for him to be available for games on the 17th and 18th of April but as Cricistan exclusively reported Irfan has been called up to the Pakistan camp which ends on the 19th.