1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Looking for a decent 'modern' Laptop

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Don Quixote, Apr 27, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    I have Apple MacBook Pro mid 2012 version, which is almost outdated, as with new updates for some months, and it being 5 years old now, its performance has been affected. So, thought to upgrade.

Which laptop brand and model do you guys suggest?

2. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Punjab chale jaao, achi se achi laptop mil jaye gi :shrug

[​IMG]

3. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    What do you plan to use it for, what's your budget and how long do you plan to keep it for?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    I guess you need to ask yourself first, what do you need your new laptop for?

For instance do you need it to do some graphics work, you would a lot of processing power, are you a gamer so on and so forth.

If you're just a basic user, then you don't even need MacBook, why spend so much money for do day to day basic stuffs - any cheap machine can do it.

5. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Basic stuff, like internet, and part time games. Budget is up to under rs. 100,000. Well if it can take me till 2021, at least.

Basic user, but part time games. Actually, MacBook is really simple to use, not as complex as Windows. But the latest MacBooks are way too expensive.

6. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
  7. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
  8. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks a lot, brother. Will look into it.

9. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I am not an Apple fanboy but Macbooks are still the most stable and reliable computing machines out there. I have a Pro late 2013 edition which is still performing as good as it's first year (mashAllah... Allah kisi kaalay mou wale ki nazar se bachaaye) and can't imagine myself going for a windows laptop ever now (although my office laptop is windows but I hardly use it).

May be look for a refurbished one from last year?

10. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Here you go.. @DW44 has already given you a couple of choices.

11. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    My mid 2012 version has slowed down after the new updates in 2017. But overall, its easier to use than Windows, and more reliable and stable for sure. But I may opt for Windows laptop, as don't trust the Apple MacBook third party sellers.

12. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  13. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Too much ayashi in Pakistan. Why would you waste 100k on a laptop when you have one already..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

14. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    I know MacBook has stable, reliable and virus free, but like as I said, it also depends on your usage.

Sure, it's a fabulous computing machine if you're a basic user, but not sure if I can say the same if you want to use it at your workplace as professional machine.

For instance, a colleague of mine had Mackbook pro but once situation arises and he needed to install some HP software's, and according to him, it gave him so much grief that he end up buying a used Windows machine to do what he had do. I also heard people had issues on Mackbook when working with ERP systems.

So in a nutshell, if you don't have any specific need or requirement then Apple is good, but if you do, then make sure you do proper research and make sure that the apps you need are supported on Mack.

Just my 2 cents.

15. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Bhai is DON don't you know!

16. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Still he always cries about pakistan and poor conditions of people and sharia and here is wasting 100k on a laptop when he has one already.

17. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    100 grands is not a waste for a laptop that's supposed to last 4 years. If anything, it's too little because the good stuff starts at 140-150 Gs. Windows laptops aren't like Macs, they get slower with use and tend to be pretty high maintenance.

18. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
    Microsoft Surface Pro is really cool as far as tablet/laptop hybrids go.

19. Del

Dec 21, 2016

LOL, this situation reminds a pathetic song.

20. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    It also costs three times what he's willing to pay.

21. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
    Not on the windows student store (if he's still in college).

22. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    Pretty sure that doesn't work in Pakistan. Anyway, any Surface will cost well above a 100g Pakistani.

23. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I am not perfect. And I am not depriving anyone of their rights. So please keep your mouth shut, you miserable creature.

24. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    You shouldnt advocate sharia or cry about ppl of pakistan when doing such israaf.

25. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I will advocate for things which I feel are right. And I am not harming the people of Pakistan. I am not perfect, and my israaf or whatever doesn't harm anyone.

26. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
  27. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
    You probably know more about that than me. But many people have both a laptop and a tablet, which makes Surface Pro cost-efficient. Especially compared to a Macbook Pro which must cost 400k rupees (as it is more expensive than a Surface Pro).

28. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    Surface pro is amazing and very cost efficient in terms of performance and longevity but it costs an arm and a leg in Pakistan. You won't even get last year's surface for a hundred grand there. MBPs are expensive but not 400 gramd expensive. The highest end MBP costs around Rs. 350000 and you can get a pretty high end model for under 200 grand which is very good considering a Windows laptop with comparable performance will cost a around the same but it will get slower with time, something that doesn't really happen with Macs.

29. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
    Those prices are really bad. Wouldn't most people just have relatives from abroad buy it for them? You can get a Surface Pro 4 i5 4GB RAM 128GB SSD for 990 euros (which I think is 130k rupees). Only problem is that the keyboard isn't included and it costs 110 euros which, imo, is outrageous.

On the getting slower part, it just depends on if you get a similar priced windows laptop. I have a Sony Vaio from 2013 and it is still running strong. The surprising thing is that the battery hasn't decreased a lot (only 20% less) which is surprising because my previous macbook had less than 60% after 4 years. It could be an overall technological improvement though.

30. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    Most people don't have relatives abroad. The ones that do get them to bring stuff over. Surface pro 4 i5 with 8GB RAM is Rs. 124'000 here so it's not that bad relative to how much it costs abroad, it just isn't in OP's price range. Most laptops usually cost within 20-30% of what they cost in the west.

I've never used a VAIO but my last MBP lasted exactly 4 years before it's battery just suddenly died. Would've gotten another Mac but I needed a gaming system(this generation of consoles is really bad in terms of specs) that I could carry around and Windows is pretty much your only option for gaming laptops. To its credit, It hasn't skipped a beat yet despite turning one year old a few days back which is nothing short of miraculous for a Windows laptop because they get noticeably slower after a year of use, at least in my experience.

31. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    @DW44 @Del Are certified refurbished laptops worth a risk?

32. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Hmm it depends,

Depends on the price difference (new vs. refurbished).
    Depends on if refurbished comes with any kind of warranty. You mentioned certified refurbished, so I presumed that it will come with something.
    Depends what kind of machine it will be (make and model and how old).

If difference is not substantial, then I would add some more money but will do with new. At least in that way I'll have some piece of mind.

I've bought a Dell refurbished machine few years ago, but since I'm tech savvy, I updated OS, popped in upgraded RAM and HD after making sure that processing power will be more then sufficient for my daily needs (which is nothing but download my shows).

So If you can play around with laptops then you should be able to takecare of many things.

33. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    Never had one or known anyone who had one.

34. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I bought Apple MacBook Pro 2018 last year, after selling my good old MacBook Pro mid-2012 (it was still working decently though, but a colleague wanted to buy it, I wanted to sell it, so let it go).

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

35. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I also need a laptop.

Any good ones?

36. A7IF

A7IF Youngsta Beauty

May 18, 2014
    ASUS Zenbook

Dell XPS

Surface Laptops

Have a look at the above, they come in different specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    My budget would be about max £500.

Not looking to do anything too high tech with it really. Just quick, easy to use.

Current laptop has this pinch zoom function and when you go to disable it in the settings it is not their.

38. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I need some suggestions here.