Irfan signs for the Kolkata Knight Riders

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Aug 10, 2010.

Irfan signs for the Kolkata Knight Riders

by Abdul Habib
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    wasim-akram-kolkata-knight-riders.png

Several days ago, Mohammad Irfan confirmed to me that he'd been signed by the Kolkata Knight Riders. For most people, who have been following the Irfan story, this will come out of the blue but the story began in the middle of June when Irfan was called up to the pre-England training camp for the Pakistan team.

Whilst at the camp Irfan was spotted by Pakistani fast bowling legend Wasim Akram. Everyone knows that Wasim has an eye for talent because he was the one who recommended Sohail Tanvir and Mohammad Aamer to be selected for Pakistan. The only question was what would Wasim think of Irfan?

Wasim began walking over to Irfan who was sure that Wasim was on his way to talk to someone else but Wasim went straight to Irfan.

"Since I'm a left-armer myself, Wasim has always been my hero. I couldn't believe it when he came up to me and began to praise me. It felt quite surreal, almost dreamlike but luckily for me it was really happening." Irfan recalled to Cricistan.com.

Wasim then gave Irfan a little bit of advice and asked him to come and see him later on that day. When Irfan met Wasim, he couldn't believe that Wasim wanted him to try out for the Kolkata Knight Riders.

"At first Wasim bhai gave me some advice about my game telling me that he thought I could improve on a few things. But then he suddenly told me that he wanted me to try out for the Kolkata Knight Riders, he didn't promise anything. He just said that he thought I was good enough and if I impressed in the trials then I would be in with a good chance of getting signed by Kolkata" Irfan told Cricistan.com

Irfan was then invited to a tour of Sri Lanka with Kolkata.

"A few weeks later I was told that I would be joining KKR for a tour of Sri Lanka. It was a low key tour where we would play some games against club sides and it would take place between 25th July and 5th August. That was important because it meant that it wouldn't interfere with my preparations for the Pakistan A tour."

"When I arrived in Sri Lanka I had a 45 minute wait at the airport because they didn't recognise me, I mean come on yaar how many 7 foot guys were they waiting for? I'm just kidding, I didn't mind waiting. Everyone at KKR was very good to me and I had a great time on the tour. None of the standard kits fitted me so they had to do some stitching for me." Irfan said to Cricistan.com

During the tour Irfan took a lot of wickets and the KKR team were impressed with his skills and his attitude.

"I took a lot of wickets during the tour including 3/10 in 5 overs against Moors Sports Club and 4/11 against CC club. But I'm particularly proud of my 39 runs from 20 balls with 3 huge sixes." remembered Irfan.

It seems that Kolkata were really impressed with Irfan's skills because they didn't waste any time in signing him up just in case Pakistani players are allowed to play in the next edition of IPL. Irfan said that he was really touched that Wasim bhai had such faith in him.

"I haven't met Wasim bhai very often but the few times we have met, I will always remember. Everyone dreams of meeting their hero but I can't believe that not only did I meet him but that he praised me and helped me out like this." Irfan told Cricistan.com

Irfan only returned from Sri Lanka on the 5th of August but he's already looking forward to returning there with Pakistan A in a few weeks time! Best of luck to Irfan from myself and everyone here at Cricistan.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I knew about this since Wasim first discussed it with Irfan but it was mutually agreed that we shouldn't talk to anyone about it in case it jeopardised his chances of being signed. Whatever we think of the IPL, Irfan is from a modest background and this sort of contract is a big deal for him.

Congratulations to Irfan, hopefully if he gets to play in the IPL and performs then they will HAVE to pick him for Pakistan!

2. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
      The fairytale story continues!

Congratulations Irfan.

3. lestepehenois

lestepehenois Youngsta Beauty

Aug 10, 2010
      No way

no... I don't think so... the PCB won't allow it.. even if he has signed on the PCB will not let him participate in the IPL. Personally I don't trust this news, probably just a rumor.

4. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      I can't put into words how happy I am for him. I was completely heart broken when I heard he had been removed from the Pakistani squad for the T20 WC. Like Merc mentioned we were aware of the happening however due to the delicate situation between Pakistan and India we didn't want to take the chance of breaking this story to the rest of the world until we got proper permission.

It seems the KKR management when alerted by Merc decided to let the news out to their contacts too...luckily for us and Irfan..it should only do good. Some press time should bring him back into the selectors radar.

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      It's no rumour, I spoke to Irfan himself. He was with KKR for a tour in Sri Lanka.

6. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for that I can not describe that in words! I already expressed my feelings in the thread I started and I'll stress again that there is very remote possibility that both parties (IPL and PCB) will come to terms to allow Pakistani players to play in IPL but just this news is slap on Ijaz Butt's face who dropped him from England tour.

If Ijaz Butt and PCB have an iota of sense left in them, they should put Irfan on the next plane to London to replace Umar Gul but .... when was the last time Ijaz Butt did anything good for Pakistan cricket.

Myt best hope is that this news and KKR platform helps Irfan to sign a contract or two with either a county or and Australian state team.

7. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Merc, question.....

after what happened to Pakistani players iduring last IPL auction fiasco, how PCB is going to see this and use this against Irfan. After IPL shunned all Pak players, PCB and all players were extremely upset at IPL. Now Irfan is siding with KKR/IPL, don't you think if you are Afridi, Razzaq, Ijaz Butt, etc you'd be really upset at him???

I guess, I hope Irfan is not being used.

Either it is too good to be true or it is just a political move with some hidden motive behind it. What do you say?

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Irfan's contract takes that into account, he'll only play if Pakistani players are allowed this time. If they're not then his contract doesn't allow him to play either.

9. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
      That's great news. Good to hear Wasim Akram is trying to promote Pakistan cricket somehow. But i am pretty sure IPL won't allow Pakistani players to represent Kolkata Team.
      His positive performance will certainly make an impression to Pakistani selectors.

10. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      I can't put into words how happy I am for him. I was completely heart broken when I heard he had been removed from the Pakistani squad for the T20 WC. Like Merc mentioned we were aware of this but couldn't risk putting out there as Irfan hadn't sign the dotted line.

In fact I asked Merc to past on my best wishes as when I called Irfan last week he was in Sri Lanka so I couldn't get to him. I don't think he is being used because this whole thing was kept pretty low profile.

As you can see by Merc post...it wasn't all of a sudden that KKR decided to add him.

11. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
      yeppy thts gr8 news ..

i hope he gets to play for KKR and performs realli well

12. lestepehenois

Aug 10, 2010
      well I'm kind of hoping he doesn't play, not in IPL. They are clearly trying to take advantage of the fact that Irfan is not a big name player yet, others like Gul, Afridi etc. won't play in the IPL after the snub last year.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Don't kid yourself, if they get invited and the price is right they will be on the first plane over.

14. lestepehenois

Aug 10, 2010
      nope.. it'll take a lot more money to get guys like Afridi into the IPL than he got in the first one. I mean he could easily play get more money playing in England, Australia and accept the offer from Nashua Titans. Plus I still don't think the PCB is in any mood to allow it.

15. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
      Like Merc said...once the players are allowed back they will go back. Under the banner "friendship" healing the broken bonds between two countries etc.

While I don't like it...I wouldn't mind seeing our players that is the only way I will watch IPL. For Irfan this could be very important...he could use this as a stepping stone to get into the Pakistan team.

16. lestepehenois

Aug 10, 2010
      "I wouldn't mind seeing our players that is the only way I will watch IPL." That is pretty much the only reason why they would try and pull this stunt, viewers, because the Indian people certainly don't want Pakistani players in the IPL. With nationalists like Thackeray having great support among the people, particularly in Mumbai, I don't think our boys are safe over there. Still, Irfan deserves a chance to shine, selecting Wahab Riaz ahead of him in England was just criminal.

17. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      lol mate do u know the contracts they are giving out in ipl. They are nothing compare to other counties.

18. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      good job irfan, now i hope he puts a good performce with pakistan A to get in to paakistan vs south africa team.

19. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      u mean indian government.

20. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      Pakistan's Mohammad Irfan in line for IPL contract | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com
      Pakistan's Mohammad Irfan in line for IPL contract

21. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
      Wow! Brilliant news for the big man. His fairytale continues...what a discovery! Hats off to Merc. Awesome stuff!

Wish the best of luck to him in the future and Insha'Allah he will be breaking into the Pakistani national team soon. :)

22. Amar

Amar Youngsta Beauty

Jun 4, 2010
      Best Ov luck to him....he really deserved being selected in team of international callibre....Also apreciation for cricistan...CRICISTAN keep up promoting hidden PAKISTANI TALENT.

23. wasticlotts

wasticlotts Youngsta Beauty

Apr 20, 2010
      Great news... I really that hope it works out.

24. wik_rko

wik_rko Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
      Crap...

this is complete bullshit!!! u guys know wat happens to players wo go to IPL...they screw up...
      late nighters nd alot of money makes u crazy... plus excessive pressure makes u injured... SCREW WASIM AKRAM...
      he said he wont go to county becoz he wanna fight his way in the team, now big money attracted him???
      look wat happend to asif, am not judging irfan but he shud rather go to county than goin to IPL...
      nd the worst thing is, IPL disrespected our players, now y in hell r we goin back to them???
      have some self respect...

25. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      LOL Play for the country. The countries batsman can barly bat, they have to rely on their bowlers.

Y do u blame ipl, it was the government who did it.

it will be dumb not to take one of their contracts.

Irfan may get 75,000

mayby with the help of ipl he may get in to pak team. well tahts how bolinger got in to aus.

26. lestepehenois

Aug 10, 2010
      Don't worry, no way in the world PCB will ever let the players go to India. Plus there is the fact that Indian government is blaming us for Kashmir, so don't think the BCCI is going to allow it either. Our players are not safe in India, plus they know that a fast bowler who has only played FC cricket for Pakistan is far superior to an international fast bowler from India.

27. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      :)) :)) :))

That is funny!

28. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Fantastic news for the big man! InshaAllah as he's impressed in the little time he's spent with Akram, he'll be impressing alot more on the bigger stage and get more recognition and learning a great deal with Wasim being KKR's bowling coach which would do a world of good to his confidence and bowling, InshaAllah.

All the best to him! :)

29. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Thanks for all the support for Irfan.

Just to clear something up, the agreement between Irfan and KKR is conditional and will be dependant on approval from the respective cricket boards and of course on Pak players being allowed to play in the IPL.

30. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
      That is correct but at the very least, it has brought him to the front for clueless folks at PCB to notice him .... just in case they had forgotten him. Every article I read on KKR/Irfan subject mentions PCB selectors ignoring him.

31. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      They are not ignoring him i believe, they selected him for Pak A, and they are gona see how good he is to get a chance in to pak.

32. LBW

LBW Youngsta Beauty

Jul 18, 2010
      great future prospect of pakistan

33. LBW

LBW Youngsta Beauty

Jul 18, 2010
      Why is this guy not in Pakistan tour to England