Irfan Blog: I still can't believe it

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 18, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: I still can't believe it

18th April 2010

mohammad_irfan_nca_tallest_fast_bowler_cricistan_shirt.png

Mohammad Irfan was watching the TV in his room at the Lahore NCA when there was a newsflash on Geo reporting that both Mohammad Irfan and Mohammad Sami had been selected to join the Pakistan T20 World Cup squad. Irfan was aware of a team meeting taking place at the NCA but was still a little shocked to see the news announced all over the media.

Irfan exclusively told Cricistan.com about what he was feeling at the time "I was in a state of shock; I couldn't believe what I was watching. Of course I'd been hoping for this to happen but never did I dream that it would happen as quickly and dramatically as this. I was preparing myself for a possible call up to play during the games coming up in England later this year but this is totally unexpected."

The first person to congratulate Irfan was a friend from Burewala who called him on the phone as he sat in front of the TV still taking the news in. Irfan then came out of his room and met Shahid Afridi and Waqar Younis who both told him to come to a meeting of the Pakistan team.

"Afridi said mubarak lambu you've made it into the team and Wicky bhai said shabash (well done) this is the reward for all your hard work and perseverance." a stunned Irfan told Cricistan.com.

During the meeting Irfan was officially told of his selection and congratulated by everyone. Sami was welcomed back into the team whilst Irfan was welcomed for the first time and told that the real hard work begins now.

"I'm going to be fitted for my official Pakistan kit tomorrow, then I'm to report to the NCA on the 23rd to join the team before we fly out on the 24th."

"I'd like to thank my parents for all their patience and prayers, as well as all those who've supported me in my cricket career. From the first day that Nadeem Iqbal spotted me to this day when I've been called up to play for Pakistan." said an emotional Irfan to Cricistan.com.

I reminded Irfan that he had to carry on the tradition of Pakistan debuting left arm bowlers in T20 World Cups. Tanvir was a success in 2007, Aamer in 2009 and hopefully Irfan will do it in 2010.

I asked Irfan if he had anything else to add and he was very adamant that I include the following quote.

"I'd like to thank the people behind Cricistan.com who've supported me from day one. Just over a year ago, I'd given up cricket and I was working as a foreman in a plastic pipe factory when Abdul Habib (currently with Cricistan.com) arranged for me to meet Aqib Javed who was then the assistant coach of Pakistan. When Aqib saw me, he was so impressed that he asked me to come back to the NCA the next day and then my journey began. Habib and Cricistan.com supported me even through the bad times, they were there to reassure me when things weren't going as planned and congratulate me when things were going good. They never gave up on me."

"I would like other organisations and companies in Pakistan to learn from Cricistan.com and to also extend their support and sponsorship to other youngsters as well. There are many youngsters in Pakistan who can’t dedicate time to following their sporting dreams because they don't know anyone influential or because their families need them to be the breadwinners. Initiatives like this one are needed to help more sportsmen achieve their dreams." said Irfan in a message to businesses and organisations in Pakistan.

If Irfan debuts for Pakistan then at 6'10 he'll become the tallest player to play international cricket in the history of the game. Previously Bruce Reid and Joel Garner were the tallest at 6'8 but Irfan has 2 inches on them.

2. Ahmed

Ahmed Youngsta Beauty

Apr 18, 2010
    Good luck Irfan. Jao apne mulk ka naam roshan karo:)

3. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 27, 2010
    Well done brother Habib, you've done a great job to get Irfan noticed.. but its sad isn't it that such talent goes unnoticed in our country, unless you have someone who can use contacts and go through back-door channels to get a chance.

And I suppose Aaqib Javed was the perfect guy to introduce Irfan too, given that Aaqib himself had a similar fairy-tale story if I am not mistaken... he was noticed by Imran Khan as he drove past a park and some kids were playing cricket, and picked up Aaqib out of nowhere and got him selected for the Pakistan team.. or so the story goes.

4. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Aur apna naam bhi roshan karo.

But for Gods sake don't become another Mohammad Asif or even worse a Shoaib Akhtar. Ensure that you keep both feet well planted on the ground!

Best of luck to Irfan.

5. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I couldn’t actually believe my eyes when I saw Irfans name on a news report on cricinfo this afternoon. I hope his given a fair chance and if not the experience would do him wonders.

Good Luck Irfan bhai :)

6. Cricket_King

Cricket_King Guest

InshaAllah Irfan will get a chance i and will make his mark in the WC. I really wanna see Irfan bowl to Likes of Ashraful and well Bascially the whole Indian team

7. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Merc, did Irfan say anything about this ... that Butt still has to approve the changes?

[​IMG]

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    That's true about Butt wanting to approve the changes.

Basically the captain (Afridi), the coach (Waqar) and the Chief Selector (Mohsin) all want to select Irfan. However the chairman is miffed that they didn't ask him before they announced it.

He may just drop Irfan to prove his point but if he does then he is just proving to the world that Mohsin Khan is nothing more than a dummy selector. It would be a terrible move but then Butt has made his name making pointless moves that no-one understands.

9. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    ^^
    Excellent point. Yes, seems like Butt has to approve the changes because ... like you ... if he does not then it totally undermines the powers of captain, coach and more importantly the chief selector on the selection matters.

Even if Butt does not approve Irfan (God forbid), I am extremely happy that now he is certain selection for England tour which includes a ton of tests, ODIs and T20s.

10. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Good news for him. Hard work pays off. Wish him a successfull career :D

11. Saqlain Doosra

Saqlain Doosra Youngsta Beauty

Jan 19, 2010
    All his hard work has been noticed and glad all three(cheif selector, coach and captain) to be part of setup. Special well done Abdul Habib(Merc) as well for all his support. All of us used to say hope he gets picked soon Merc was like he still needs to prove himself in domestic and he hasn't let any one down. He's proved to all important people he can be good bowler for pakistan.

12. The Great Khan

The Great Khan Youngsta Beauty

Jan 26, 2010
    personally im optimistic that Mohsin will play the role of chamcha and just suck up to Butt sahib to get his way..just show the butt some love!..lol

13. nigarmkhan

nigarmkhan Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    Well done

Well done Brother Irfan, May Allah guide you always on the straith path.

14. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Well done Irfan. We are hoping that you keep on rising. And well regarding Butt, anything can be expected from this man.

15. ISMBUTT

ISMBUTT Youngsta Beauty

Feb 12, 2010
  16. NorthStar

NorthStar Youngsta Beauty

Jan 30, 2010
    Superb news, heres hoping Mohammed Irfan makes giant strides at International level to set alight the T20 Word Cup.

By the way, Kudos to Abdul Habib/Mercs for his efforts in the Mohammed Irfan story so far.

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @Northstar

He's been replaced by Rehman. check the sticky threads