1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Does Rawalpindi deserve to have it's own PSL franchise?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Mar 9, 2020.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I have no doubt in my mind that Pindi has been the best cricket venue of this year.

Crowds have been fantastic despite many of the matches getting affected by rain or falling on weekdays. People have supported good cricket from all teams and the atmosphere has been electric.

Pitches have been great too at this venue and the ground staff has been rightly acknowledged by PCB and all experts.

Its wrong to give them a home team which is not even named after the historic city.

The city has its own unique identity, history, culture, and importance in Pakistan cricket. I think people of this city really deserve their own franchise now.

2. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Islamabad United should be actually the team of Rawalpindi. Islamabad is adopted city for most of the people who are residing there for work or Business purposes.

3. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Pindi is always over shadowed by islamabad. it should have been pindi not islamabad.

4. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Don't think it will happen as the two cities are very close together and other cities like Hyderabad and Faisalabad have not had teams of their own and so will come first.

Rawalpindi-Islamabad United might work though.

5. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Faisalabad deserved the franchise over multan. I remember they were the kings of t20 setup during the initial t20 era days. faisalabad wolves and sialkot stallions, they even won some league in england i remember.

6. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    It’s Islamabad’s twin city so in essence, Islamabad United should have been called something else.

7. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yeah it's should have been Rawalpindi instead of Islamabad but you cant really have them both

8. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    No. The next team should be the northern areas. They are Pakistanis too and they are part of our cricketing culture and people are also cricket maniacs over there. We already have a mirpur cricket stadium. Rawalpindi will always get the short end of the stick thanks to being 15 km away from the capital islamabad thus having an islamabad team and pindi team wont do.

9. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I agree with Northern Areas team and their contribution towards our cricket is undeniable. However not sure about commercial viability.

10. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    no.

11. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I believe AJK deserve their team more than anyone else in the waiting.

12. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Btw this term twin city is non-sense... neighboring cities, yes... but they have nothing much in similar to call themselves twins.

Pindi cricket stadium is probably the only thing that an Islamabadi would openly claim to have affiliation with these days, other than that they disown to have any affiliation with that city in pretty much every other aspect of life because its against the shaan of burgers.

If one London city can have 5 EPL teams then why the so called "twin cities" have their own separate franchises?

Give Pindi its own franchise... and then see the rivalry between the "twin cities" bring out the asliyat of both side of fans.

13. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Karachi can have three franchises atleast, Lahore possibly two and so on.

14. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    We will never know until we try. They have a 6 million population over there and this will expand the game in those areas and frankly alot of commercial capability comes from good business management as well. I say we should go for it but i am not sitting at the board :p:p

15. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    @Red Devil you have anything to add to this along with @maddgenius.

16. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    Definitely agree with @Munna bhai, Pindi has arguably the most passionate cricket fans in the entire country, it would be unfair to deprive them of a team of their own.

Not to mention, it would be great for the league to have another legitimate rivalry along with Karachi vs Lahore.

17. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    you are forgetting the logistics, home ground, security, five-star accommodation, decent airport etc

18. Mad Genius

Mad Genius Fantasy Draft Wins: 4

Oct 6, 2014
    This should be Pindi's anthem

19. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    I think PSL will have 8 teams or maybe 10 at most, anything more would require a longer tournament and that would be extremely difficult to accommodate given the packed schedule international teams have these days.

20. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Agree, 8-10 teams are ideal. But lot of politics will be at play for choosing next teams.

21. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    neh! Its incomplete without @Red Devil and @Mohsin ’s moves. Pindi Bois forever

22. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Tbf i can understand the need for a 'Federal' team, to go with the Provincial capitals when PSL started.

I dont think itll be viable to have a separate Rawalpindi team and you obviously cant replace Islamabad team. Maybe you could have an 'AC Milan-Inter Milan' type situation...but it wont happen.

23. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    we already have one huge headache aka Peshawar Zalmi, dont need a second

24. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Peshawar Zalmi is representing the complete Province of KP. What the hell are you talking about?

25. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    they represent the north of Pakistan, dont need two teams representing NP

26. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Northern Areas is not part of KP

27. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Northern areas is completely different to KPK

28. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    No, 6 teams are already enough for Pakistan T20 league. The argument can be made for, AJK, Northern Areas, Faisalabad, Pindi and so on but it make no sense to keep on adding more. Too many teams are also not good for PSL, these areas can be represented in domestic T20.

29. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    This AJK team willbe controversial.. i think india dont hve any ipl team from kashmir either.

Idealy it should have been pindi instead of islamabad.

I think next two teams will be from Hyderabad and Faisalabad.. maybe after that they might hve abbotabbad

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

30. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    I think 6 teams are enough , although I would love to have a team for Faisalabad.

31. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    They will expand it slowly.. maybe upto 10 teams eventually

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

32. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    I hope not. It will be too long and boring.