Asia Cup 2012 - Pakistani Players Performance Review

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Mar 30, 2012.

Asia Cup 2012 - Pakistani Players Performance Review

by Muhammad Bilal
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011

nasir-sarfaraz-rehman-umar-gul.png

Pakistan won the Asia Cup for the second time courtesy of some brilliant individual performances. While there were some outstanding performances, there were some poor ones as well.

Below we will have a look at the stats of Pakistani Players in the recently finished Asia Cup.
    We will start with the batting stats of the Pakistani batting team and it's not surprising that the middle order performance was average/below average yet again. Although Umer Akmal and Misbah Ul Haq's averages are on the higher side but still it wasn’t that encouraging.

BATTING STATS - ( In order of Most Runs Scored)

Code:
    Batsmen        Matches      Inns        Runs    50s  100s  Average  Strike Rate

Hafeez          4            4          245      1    1    61.25    67.86

Jamshed        4            4          193      1    1    48.25    96.01

UAkmal          4            4          156      1    -    39        96.89

Misbah          4            4          107      1    -    53.5      79.85

Younis          4            4          67      1    -    16.67    103.07

Sarfarz        3            2          65      -    -    -        81.25

Gul            4            3          43      -      -  21.5    153.57

Afridi          4            3          41      -      -  13.66    107.89

Hammad          3            3          38      -      -  19        80.85

Ajmal          4            2          12      -      -  12      133.33

Cheema          4            1            9      -      -    -        81.81

Asad            1            1            4      -      -    4        66.66

Now we will have a look at the bowling performance, although the bowlers took wickets their economy rates were disappointing. In fact quite surprisingly a part timer (Muhammad Hafeez) has the best economy among all bowlers and that’s probably why he has bowled more overs, even more than Saeed Ajmal.

BOWLING STATS - ( in order of highest wickets )

Code:
    Bowler        Matches        Overs    Runs    Wickets    Average    Economy  SR

Gul            4              36      208      9          23.11      5.77    24
    Ajmal          4              37.4    161      8          20.12      4.27    28.2
    Cheema        4              33      196      8          24.5        5.93    25.7
    Afridi        4              35      167      3          55.66      4.77    70
    Hafeez        4              39      152      3          50.66      3.89    78
    Hammad        3              7        41      1          41          5.85    42
    Wahab          1              4        50      -          -          12.50    - 

FIELDING STATS

Younis took 5 catches in 4 games.
    Jamshed took 3 catches in 4 games.
    Hafeez and Misbah took 2 catches each in 4 games.
    Afridi, Ajmal, Akmal and Gul took 1 catch each in 4 games.
    Sarfaraz took 1 catch in 3 games

MY PLAYER RATING ON THE BASIS OF STATS/PERFORMANCES

HAFEEZ: He was the main player for us, scored the highest runs and his bowling was tidy as ever. Although his strike rate has been bit on the slower side but then he had the luxury of an attacking partner in the form of Nasir Jamshed. He still needs to work on rotation of strike. I will give him 8/10.

AJMAL: Economical and threatening as ever. Took 8 wickets but look bit of colour or may be its because of his high standards. 8/10

JAMSHED: A great comeback, scored a century and half century on his comeback with few good catches as well. His main weaknesses is his fitness and running between the wickets. 7/10

GUL: Expensive but the highest wicket taker for Pakistan and played a little important cameo against Bangladesh in the group game. 7/10

SARFARAZ: He was tidy behind the stumps and played a crucial inning in the final. 6.5/10

CHEEMA: Expensive but took some crucial wickets especially against Srilanka. 6.5/10

AKMAL: Same old problem, a brilliant inning against Srilanka and helped Pakistan in winning that game with a bonus point which was very crucial. 6/10

MISBAH: One excellent inning against Srilanka and overall a good performance as a captain, though it was poor against India. 6/10

HAMMAD: Showed glimpses of talent but still a lot of work needs to be done. 5/10

AFRIDI: Apart from the all-round performance in final, a very poor series for Afridi. 4/10

YOUNIS: Barring that one inning against India, another poor odi series for Younis. Although he performed well in the field but I think he should just say goodbye to LOIs now. 4/10

ASAD: Unlucky that he didn’t get enough chance, just played one inning in which he didn’t impress at all. 2/10

WAHAB: Same as Asad. 2/10

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
    • Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
Bilal writes interesting stats articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      That's some great stats PP.

A good tournament (overall) for Hafeez and Ajmal. Gul did a lot better than many gave him credit for and Jamshed has had a strong debut.

2. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    3. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      Gul has a higher average than Younis, shows how great a batsmen he [YK] really is.

"Economy rates were a bit disappointing" That is not entirely true, according to the stats you posted. 3/7 bowlers had a economy rate of below 5. All three were the spinners. However, one out on that 7 is very inexperienced and hardly ever bowls, so lets say 3/6 had a ER below 5 - which is not disappointing at all and in actual fact is good. Again, Wahab Riaz, who is amongst them 6 bowlers, only played one game. Although Gul and Cheema do have a higher ER I wouldn't say it is disappointing still. An ER of under 6 is not bad at all, especially if they are taking wickets which they did do - Gul more so than Cheema.

So Muhammad Hafeez is your best player of the tournament? Yes, he was the highest scorer for Pakistan but his SR was terrible! A SR of 60 is not good at all. Also, he bowed tidely with 3 wickets in 4 games with an average of 50? Great bowling! He's supposed to be an all rounder now, btw, he's not a part-timer anymore.

However an articulate post nonetheless.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
      • List
    4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
      Great work PP. Gul showed you once again that he is not useless as you always think of him. Apart for this our batting sucked big time apart from the openers whom I never rated.

• List
    5. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Economies of these 3 bowlers are lesser than 5 cos of the final game, otherwise they would have been above 5 as well. Tbh they were quite expensive both against india and Bangladesh in Group game.

Hafeez strike rate is poor but he was the highest scorer for Pakistan in this Tournament and had better economy than even Ajmal

6. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Gul was not useless but his economy.. and his performance against india was v poor.

7. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      So? Isn't that a good thing? Perform better on the bigger stage i.e. finals.

However, lets look deeper into what you have just said there.

First game against Bangladesh. This was the group game that you mentioned they bowled with a high ER. But if we look at this table, it shows quite the opposite. Are ER's less than 5 not good anymore?

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 21.19.05.png

Now, let's look at the Sri Lanka game. Muhammad Hafeez and Ajmal have an ER of 4 or less. Whereas Afridi has an ER of 5, which again, is not bad at all, and just goes a little above 5. So forth, for Ajmal it's a successful 2/2 and same for Muhammad Hafeez [meaning an ER of less than 5].

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 21.21.34.png

Now, the all important India game. Muhammad Hafeez again under 5, 3/3 so far. Ajmal went a tad above his normal ER's in this cup, however still not "expensive", as you claimed. However, Shahid Afridi was expensive, so it's fair to say he was a bit rubbish.

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 21.19.55.png

Now the final, from which they "improved their ER's". All 3 have an ER of under 5 in this one, which shows they did do well in this game, but they did not better their ER's through this game.

Screen Shot 2012-03-30 at 21.19.43.png
      Overall, Hafeez 4/4 times has had an ER of less than 5. Ajmal has had an ER of less than 5 in 3/4 games, and Afridi 2/2 games, with being "just" over 5 at 5.3. So your claim that they improved their ER's through the final, has failed, and in actual fact that is not true, they have been good al the way through.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
      • List
    8. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      You have to prove me wrong somehow :p

I should have added word MOSTLY in my last comment but anyways.. afridi economy would have been above 5 if it was not for that final performance and Ajmal one would have been higher as well than what it is now.

iamnt saying that it is bad thing that they have performed in final and improved their economies, all i wanted to say is that the economies were bit on the higher side, the performance in final just over shadowed it a bit.

9. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      No, only Afridi's would've been on the higher side, not Ajmal's.

10. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      4,3,4,5 is not bad at all!

• List
    11. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      ok man, you won i lost

next time i will be careful while chosing my words :p

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Could the same not be said for Afridi? He is not entirely useless but his performance against India is always poor. So why the love for Afridi and the hate for Gul?

13. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      i have given more rating points to Gul compare to Afridi. Did i support or Praised Afridi Performance?

14. karachigirl

karachigirl Tracer Bullet

Sep 6, 2011
      You can't judge Wahab and Asad if they played only one game.

That's unfair and unjustical. (if thats a word)

Wahab, hadn't played an international match in like, a year.

And Asad, he hadn't played that many matches either in the tourney.

• List
    15. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      He did, played one game against England, and the India WC game was not a year ago at that time. ;)

16. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      6/10 for some who had an avg of 50 in the asia cup, and his captaincy won us the cup.. WOuld give him 9/10

17. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      how did i know you will pick this point?

he scored only 100 runs and 6/10 is alrite for him considering the fact that the likes of ajmal and hafeez got 8.

18. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      his captaincy deserves credit. Yes his batting was poor in two games. FOr his batting 7/10... For his captaincy, he deserves 9/10

But you are just hating Misbah here...

Like honestly someone who has a low avg then Misbah, is rated higher... Jamshed

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      9/10 for captaincy?

dont start on me that again... did you even watch the game against india, if a person cant attack with 320 on the board, he can never.

Having said that, i did say that overall he was good thats why 6/10. may be iamnt lenient like you in rating them.

20. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      Attack?

So if pakistan loses its always cause of defensive captaincy not causing of attacking captaincy..

As far as i know, field setting was quite attacking... Is it misbahs fault if our pace bowlers failed

21. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      And lol at jamshed getting 7/10.. Someone who has a low average misbah, who got 6/10 for not hitting sixes and fours and playing stupid shots

22. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
      I don't think it's that, it's more that Misbah had one score of consequence while Jamshed had two. Plus Jamshed's inexperience means he gets slightly more leeway. Plus, Jamshed's record of 48.25 is not a low average whatsoever.

The rankings are pretty much spot on imho nice work Passionate Pakistani

• List
    23. cricketstar2

cricketstar2 Banned

Apr 1, 2012
      Gul playing better than younis khan who is a batsman

• List