1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Afridi & Leadership

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar, Nov 5, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    so I was watching highlights of the last ODI... and I found Afraidi's style of captaincy to be very interesting. during his overs, he was continuously berating and taunting some of the fielders who seemed to be the so-called junior players. he was ranting on and on. eventually he said very sarcastically to someone "bass buhat ho gaya. bhai tum mehrbani karo aur idhar aa jao". now anyone who understands Urdu properly will realize how demeaning, sarcastic and insulting that is.

I must say that of all the captains I've seen captain, I can't recall anyone going after his players like this on the field. Wasim was supposed to be quite rude but in his second stint on, he was pretty damn good. I remember Azhar and him had a tiff when Wasim told him off in some match in 2000. but Wasim downplayed it when he came to Pakistan saying that it was done and dusted and these things happen between player and captain. I thought that was very mature and statesmanlike of him.

so, Afridi's constant biatching about his teammates is very interesting to me. much much much bigger, better and greater players have captained Pakistan than the dumbass in charge currently and they all behaved much much better. makes me wonder how long the shenanigans of this dumbass will continue..

interestingly in between this passage of play, Akhtar also let through a four off the dumbass that should have been stopped. the retard didn't say a word this time. wonder why!!! hmm...

2. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    i would had said ur wrong tarar, but after seeing what afridi said about Irfan, then i think you are right. And i have seen afridi criticizing his players all the time.

3. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    doesn't just stop there. now he wants to drop Saeed Ajmal who is the second best bowler in the team. on merit, the weak links in the bowling are Afridi and Razzaq. Razzaq can't be dropped because of his batting. so, instead of going by merit and dropping himself or Hafeez, he is going to drop the second best bowler in the team.

what kind of strategy is that? anything to protect his own spot in the team I guess.

4. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Afridi's captaincy is like his batting.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    I am going to genuinely answer this tread with some honest questions.

Is afridi a genuine allrounder? After 15 years of playing cricket, how many matches has he genuinely won for Pakistan. Are the matches won by him more then lost by him? is the differential even close?

How has he improved after playing 15 years in international colors? is he a solid presence where he can farm the tail and score a 50, ten times out of 20? does he ever bowl in the death like saqlain or ajmal? why doesnt afridi bowl in the death?

Does he deserve the captaincy? a blind man have inspirations to be a pilot, but should he be one ? captaincy means taking stock of your own actions? how can he justify his shot selection at critical junctures and still ask his team to compete? how does he justify coming on a higher batting number to razzaq? how many spinners in the team are one too many ?

malik was titled as a back stabber. did pakistan have a better record in one dayers and t20s with malik part of the team or do we win more now with afridi the absolute monarch?

does biting the ball, or dancing on a pitch with spikes justified?

ridiculing your own players in national news paper, ala ajmal recently acceptable?

his field placings and his orientation of the batting order or his knowledge of the opposition team requisite of a captain? he didn't even know who the south African bowler was who had played him 3 times already and has taken the most number of wickets already. he asked smith who this dude was? how awesome is that? where is the team planning at?

can he justify his career of 15 years already?

he has not won a single domestic tournament, always got owned and yet thinks he is the best man to lead pakistan? why?

6. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Ok, MT who would you have as a captain, Any names. For example who'd you want as the captain, Salman Butt, M. Asif, M. Amir, Shoaib Mirza etc etc.

7. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Pretty genuine whines but you still can't beat MT. ;)

So, you are saying, he is Ijaz Butt, Naseem Ashraf, Tauqeer Zia in disguise and selets himself? Why are you blaming him for getting selected or being the captain.

Now, here are some genuine numbers:

ODI bowlers since 1/1/2007:
    http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

T20 bowlers since 1/1/2007:

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

If this does not genuinely shut you and MT up, I don't what will...but then again, there is nothing anybody can do about genuine crybabies.

Oh by the way, not to mention the ODI batting since 1/1/2009:
    He is 2nd highest scorer in ODIs;
    http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...al2=span;team=7;template=results;type=batting

T20 batting since 1/1/2009:
    He is 3rd highest in T20s;
    http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...al2=span;team=7;template=results;type=batting

By the way, you'll genuinely need a microscope to find your "tennis kit carrier" hero in all 4 lists. :))

8. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    top post. the guy doesn't deserve a place in the team. forget about captaincy...

9. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    1) I didn't say change the captain. imo, all captains should be appointed for 3 years during which they shouldn't be changed for any cricketing reasons. that is the only way to send a message to the rest of the team that don't bother sabotaging this guy since he's here for the long haul.
    2) even then, when has the lack of credible alternatives ever stopped us from changing captains before?
    3) just because others are poor candidates, the dumbass shouldn't be criticized for the same things that others are/were crucified for?

10. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    some people just look at the score, but they dont look at how many games that guy has played:rolleyes:

or sometimes they forget to check the average.

lmao:)) afridi the highest scorer, but idiots will forget to look at how mnay games the guy has played and his average per game.

11. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
    guys chill ..
    he jus presented his view of things .. and everyone has the right to do so on this website :) ..

and ppl hav the right to disagree with him ( but in a healthy way )
    come on guys cheer pak for the last ODI ..
    in the end we're all pakistanis ^_^

12. sheikh

sheikh Emerging Player

May 10, 2010
    Well u really cant hide the fact that his performances doesnt justify him to be captain however, because he is inspirational and influential player to the team, he may have been the only one who could unite a disjointed team hence the reason he is captain...

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    But as a captain, Afridi should bat better then before, he should understand how to bat now. Like look at him, he jsut randomely hits the ball, playing stupid shots, the guy is talented he can make easy 50s but the problem is he would jsut hit the ball randomely, as a captain he should play with care, and try to make a partnership, cause many other players will follow him.

Umar akmal plays stupid shots, why???

cause of his captain, if the captain can do that why can't him.

14. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    err... he is one of the main reasons why the team is disjointed in the first place. he's among the players who haven't let anyone captain in peace since Inzi left.

as a very wise person on this forum once said... the only benefit of having Afridi as captain is that for a change at least it keeps him away from conspiring against the captain.

15. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    that's not a fact. it's your opinion. hopefully you will also learn to live with it when he gets sacked.

where have your seen this maturity in his batting? I haven't seen it. but I guess since he's only 25 and has been playing cricket for only 15 years thus far, he's still got time to learn. right? he must be the absolute worst player to have captained any international team in the history of the game apart from Lee Germon maybe.

as BD said, just because a blind man wants to become a pilot, doesn't mean you make him one.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Afridi isn't a leader of men. About 3 years ago I once said (as a joke) we should make Afridi the next captain after Inzamam and those few who didn't see through to the joke went (justifiably) nuts at me for even thinking of such a thing!

And this was at a time when Afridi was taking lots of wickets in ODIs and scoring runs in both ODIs and Tests. Even when Afridi was performing so well, people could see how ridiculous the very notion of him as the captain was.

But here we sit 3 years later and Afridi was made captain in all 3 formats including Test cricket, which he had retired from and not played in for years!

Has Afridi changed? Is he more mature? Has he magically become more intelligent? Is he more diplomatic? Does he value his wicket? Will he graft for the sake of the team he himself is captaining or will he just hit out and throw his wicket away?

Let's face facts, Afridi has not changed nor has he matured. He's the very same person we all made jokes about becoming captain because we knew the PCB were never going to be stupid enough to put the pitch dancing, ball eating, fighting with Akhtar on television over a phone line, brain farting lunatic in charge of the Pakistan team.

As I've said many times before, the only reason that Afridi was given the captaincy was to stop him plotting against and sabotaging whoever the PCB chose to be captain instead of Afridi.

Afridi always has and always will play for 'Brand Afridi' and for a select few fans who go to the stadium only to watch Afridi hit a six and then they're satisfied regardless of what happens to the Pakistan team. Afridi knows that as a commodity he's bigger than Team Pakistan and that as long as he keeps playing like a lunatic instead of for the team, he will continue to be a 'Brand' and therefore more valuable to his agents and their 'Boom Boom' franchise

17. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    that is put so beautifully, I printed it out, framed it and hung in on my wall.

EXACTLY...

these guys are very aware of their brands and how they can commercially unlock them. the brand of Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Saeed, etc was achieving greatness on the field by helping the team win. Afridi's built his brand completely differently. he knows that if the team needs a 40 off 60 balls for a win... if he scored 20 off 10 with two sixes and gets out, his "fans" will be satisfied and Rameez Raja will sing his praises even if the team loses due to his irresponsibility. his commercial appeal will stay unchanged. he will make his head and shoulders ads, etc. so, he sees no reason to play for the team.

ps. dude, you need to post way more often. I know that you must be busy behind the scenes. but this forum needs you as a poster as well.

18. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    We know all that and more. We just support Afridi to piss some people off.:D

On a serious note, he's a complete retard. Younis should be the captain imo. Anyone found plotting against Younis should be kicked out immediately.

Unless its Afridi.;)

19. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Yess younis should be captain, but do u wonder why was he banned for such a long time??????

20. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010

I completely agree with you. YK is the only mature, intelligent and automatic choice available for captaincy. YK's main "weakness" is his sense of pride. When an honest person like him is accused by sensation searching journalist without any reason and when he is questioned by politicians - yes politicians of all people, then it becomes too much for him and he quits. It's easier said than done, but IMO he should be prepared for such low kicks and keep his post for the sake of PAK cricket!

21. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    If there's one honorable man in the team, its Younis. The guy retires with dignity after the successful T20 world cup. He opted out of the team honorably when oath-taking scums betrayed him. As a batsman, he's pure class, one of only three triple-centurions from Pakistan, and will lead by example (unlike Afridi). And unlike Yousuf, doesn't choke when chasing. He has the safest hands in the field and we all know how much we missed him in the slips in England. He agreed to declare when on 87* in India. He wont fix matches, chew the ball, dance on the wicket, take drugs, or throw his wicket away to undermine another captain. There's not a selfish bone in this guy. He's the pride of Pakistan and a shoe-in for captaincy.

22. ManHOOS

ManHOOS Talented

Sep 19, 2010
    i fink afridi is right main hota to galiaan b daita ball aisay pakartay hain jaisay kabootar pakar rahay hon Nanay ka tractor baich k pakistani team main aa gayay hain K PAKISTANI TEAM MAIN KHAILNA HAI :mad:

23. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Select few?

Merc, you have been watching cricket for a loooooong time. How many player "changed" their batting style after their debut .... barring Imran Khan and you know players like Imran are once-a-century players.
    Wasim Akram is another example. He had 100 time more batting potential than his average suggests.... but did we ever abuse him for not "improving" his batting and bat like Miandad or Inzi? Did we ever call him lunatic? Why we just abuse Afridi? Again, fault lies with us ... not Afridi.

I am sure you know, but the kids born after 1985 don't know that he was drafted into the team as BOWLER who could throw his bat around. He threw his bat around in his first visit to the crease and ... before Sri Lanka knew what has hit them, he was back in the pavailion with the 37-ball 100. That 100 defined him... and people was his identity taken away from him?

Think about it... if he had changed his batting to be more sane, he would have been a permanent member of the test team. He let oppertunity go ... just to be "that 37-ball 100 hitter".

It is not HIS fault that a select-few-arm-chair-cricket-experts expect him to change his batting to bat like Inzi, Miandad, Zaheer Abbas, Yousaf ..... but it their fault for expecting that. In my books, he was never a batsman and will never be batsman. Yet, he has scored a lot fo runs for the team of the late;

ODI batting since 1/1/2009:
    He is the highest scorer in ODIs this year;
    Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

T20 batting since 1/1/2009:
    He is 3rd highest in T20s;
    Batting records | Twenty20 Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

His place in the team (of the late) has been soley because of his bowling which any sane can not deny;
    ODI bowlers since 1/1/2007:
    Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

T20 bowlers since 1/1/2007:
    Bowling records | Twenty20 Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

You can hate for the sake of hating but the facts can not be denied.

His captaincy has left a lot to be desired but did Malik's, Yousaf's and even Younis's. If people are looking for a perfect captain..... then I got news for them.... there is NONE.

People vouching for YK to captain have such a short memory about his 5000 flip-flops and ultimate run-away from the team..... not to mention going into hiding. If you can't face the media, people and difficulties, you have no business to be leader. YK has absolutely no people skills. I'd still prefer him as test captain becuse there is nobody else. Misbah will be a complete flop -- as batsman and captain.

...oh and by the way Malik looked so good in HK that I think.... he should be made a permanent cuptaan of the HK Sixes tournament. It suited his style and limitation. Hope he brings home trophy! ;)

24. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    I think most people have a problem with the mode of Afridi's dismissals, not appreciating that its the same mode he quickly scored 29 runs with in the last match. Some oldies prefer someone replaced him and scored 29 singles of 43 balls instead, where there was already a grafter on the other end. Yousuf the choker wouldn't even have scored that much in a chase, wouldn't have bowled, and would've helped South Africa with his fielding.

I guess these Afridi detractors are in fact his fans. They just cant get enough of him. They want him to play his shots forever and are disgusted when he gets out, just like that part of the crowd that exits in disgust. But like all good things, his innings' have to end, kids.

25. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    hahahaha ..... brilliant, Wasim. Take that Afridi-hating-juveniles! :)) :))

26. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    The boundary is like 40 meters and with only four men in the field yet Mirza manages to get caught on long on off a dibbly dobbly Indian bowler. And Afridi's getting the stick after he spanked Steyn despite with 9 great fielders.

27. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Why do you think, I said .. he looked so good in that ground.. it was ...his lind of ground, his kind of bowling, his kind of fielding, his kind of tournament? ;)

Just watch at 10:02 and see how he gets out! :))

28. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Afridi looks far more elegant getting out.

29. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Well, like it or not he is the captain of the side and changing the captain 5 or so games before the ODI World Cup would cause more harm to the team than keeping Afridi as captain.

His batting has always been weird & wonderful but he has been our highest run scorer this year and he showed glimpses of the fact that he can bat sensibly (Asia Cup) under pressure.

He hasn't even been in the job for 12 months yet and people want him out. Yes, his tactics have been well below par but we can't chuck him out now, so close to the World Cup.

30. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    he has played 37 games, the most out of anyone so defeinetly he will be the highest scorer. Take a look at the averages to.

31. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Oh, by the way Boi.... for the posters who have difficulty reading numbers and were very weak in math, Afridi's batting average since last year (1/1/2009) is better than Mirza, Younis, Yousaf and Asad Shafiq.... our "top" 4 batsmen!

But then again, some Fawad haters will say averages are not everything becuase Fawad has the best career average (40.13) in the current team. Some people really have difficulty making up their mind... becuase of their mind ... or lack of it.

32. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    lol 37 games this year?! Where have you been watching Pakistan cricket in 2010? :D

Plus, your logic is absurd, it's not 'obvious' that the most capped player will get the most runs.

Afridi has been the best out of the sorry bunch this year with the bat (in ODIs). Him and Razzaq are the only ones who have scored atleast a hundred this year. What have the specialist batsmen done?
    The fact that two all rounders have been the only century makers, just shows how poor we are playing as a team for the past year or so. And by chucking Afridi out now, will do more harm then good; this chopping and changing of captains has also been a factor to why we have been so crap post Inzi.

33. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I think Kamran and hafeez have been the best this year.

Afridi is a good player( not saying he is bad) the only problem he has is that
    he just throws his wicket away, and he leaves the match to the others guys.
    If the Captain doesn't bother to perform good, then how can u expect to win the game???

34. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Even this year (since 1/1/2010), he has scored most runs and his average is better than Umar "Bradman" Akmal, Kamran "Gilchrist" Akmal, Asad Shafiq, Mohammad Yousaf, Shoaib "Hero of infants" Mirza, Younis Khan and Salman "the fixer" Butt.

Funny, no Afridi-hater ever mentioned his Strike-Rate in this post. Wondering if his S/R gives them big heart-burn.

35. Pak Fan

Pak Fan Youngsta Beauty

Nov 4, 2010
    I wonder who this idiot, Mtafasdfisajdfldjsfks tarrar would have as captain? Ive seen him hating on Inzi, Younis, and MoYo for too long. They are the best batsmen Pakistan have had this decade, and he insists on pointing out the negatives about them. They hold the highest averages in batting among the Pakistan team for the last ten years, and he cant even appreciate them, let alone afridi. Whats wrong with you? and now, im going to give you the best insult on this thread by calling you an INDIAN!

36. Pak Fan

Pak Fan Youngsta Beauty

Nov 4, 2010
    You cant even use the argument that those big 3 accomplished so much just because they are middle order batsmen, but without a good opening pair, they end up practically opening the innings themselves! Younis came onto the field in the 4th ODI faster than you can say Farhat. Inzi. How can you insult him, of all people playing cricket in this decade? Ive read your posts claiming hes some Maulvi, and Yousef is a moulvi, and there's some inner conspiracy ring circle. Get over yourself. Let me ask you, what's Yousef's average with the bat in tests? Look it up, and then compare it with the rest of the batsmen on the team.

37. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    wow. you can't be older than 10. yes I'm not only an Indian... I'm also a hinjew from israel. everything is a conspiracy.

I'm not sure if there is any point of responding to retards like you.

38. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mar 18, 2010
    I agree that Younis is the only guy who comes out with any credit out of the recent mess. in an ideal world, he should have succeeded Inzi and would still be captain. but in an ideal world, he also wouldn't have resigned from the captaincy twice or is it thrice now? once because Shehryar Khan (who was a thorough gentleman) didn't meet him right away because he was in a meeting and Younis was asked to wait while the chairman finished up. that is not the reaction of a sensible man. as for the rest of the occasions, like the great Wasim Akram said, when things get tough, as captain you don't resign and walk away... you stay and fight.

and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being summoned by parliamentarians to answer questions. happens the world over in civilized countries. you should have watched the way auto/financials CEOs were grilled in the US when the financial meltdown happened. none of them threw childish tantrums like YK.

39. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Not to forget afridi ran away from test :))

40. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010