Wine, Distortion and Videotape - The stitch-up of Yasir Hameed

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Online

Mercenary

Wine, Distortion and Videotape - The stitch-up of Yasir Hameed

by Abdul Habib
    5th September 2010

[IMG]

Just as Pakistan fans and players thought that the furore was dying down; the News of the World (NOTW) has put forward fresh allegations. This time the allegations centre on a casual conversation with Yasir Hameed.

The NOTW secretly recorded an informal meeting between Hameed and the NOTW's Mazhar Mahmood. Hameed was unaware of Mahmood''s real identity nor that his comments were being made to a reporter and were going to be on the record. Yet despite all the secrecy the NOTW weren't able to achieve anything other than to get Hameed to implicate himself.

One thing that will escape most non-Muslim readers is the way that the undercover reporter made specific reference to Hameed drinking white wine. Back home in Pakistan many people will be angrier at Hameed (a Muslim) drinking alcohol during the holy month of Ramadan than about him not reporting an approach from a bookie. The newspaper went so far as to publish a picture of Hameed sipping from a wine glass, just in case nobody noted the reference to it in the article.

Hameed shot himself in the foot during this conversation when he claimed that he has turned down an offer of £150,000 from a bookie. If this revelation was more than just empty bravado then Hameed will now be in trouble with the ACSU for not disclosing the approach when it happened.

But the above wasn't a big enough exclusive for the NOTW so they decided to doctor the translation of what Hameed said to create a story out of nothing. Unfortunately for the NOTW, there are over a billion people on the planet who can understand the language Hameed is speaking in. The NOTW may have been able to fool the likes of the BBC and Sky News but they can't fool everyone.

Let's examine the main allegations the NOTW have bought forward today.

Hameed alleges that the Sydney test was fixed to the tune of £1.8 million

This is a deliberate lie on the part of the NOTW. In fact when Hameed is asked about the Australian tour he replies that he wasn't there. Hameed goes on to refer to news reports (the NOTW sting) rather than personal experience. The NOTW reporter repeats what was said in the paper and Hameed just agrees. At no point does he refer to a personal experience or state that he personally knows that the Sydney test was fixed.

The players all discuss and know about matches being fixed

Again this is a fabrication. The reporter asks if the players have discussed this amongst themselves. It's a very open question and Hameed had just been talking about the NOTW reports. So he replies 'yes' and doesn't elaborate. The reporter then says 'You must talk about it, definitely' but Hameed doesn't respond to that. All this proves is that the players have been discussing the NOTW story but if that's proof of guilt, then doesn't that implicate all of us? The fact that the NOTW story is being discussed by Pakistani players is not news, it's common sense!

Almost all Pakistan matches have been fixed

The undercover reporter says to Hameed 'they've said it's being done in every match' to which Hameed replies with 'about that figure' but when the reporter pushes him saying 'are you sure.' Hameed replies with 'Only God would know that' and then admits he's quoting the NOTW sting with the words 'this is what reports are saying, that Scotland Yard has been after them for a long time'

So basically, as can be seen from above, the NOTW has indulged in distorting the facts to try and sell newspapers. But then that shouldn't surprise most of us about a newspaper that has been subject of many lawsuits in the past.

What has been disappointing in this saga is the way that Sky News and the BBC News have just blindly accepted the NOTW translation without getting it checked by their own Urdu language staff first. Today's story doesn't shed any new light on the ongoing investigation. All it does is expose the pack mentality of the media who, rather than verify what the NOTW was saying, were more interested in burying Pakistan cricket even deeper.

Below is a far more accurate translation of the Hameed video that is available on the NOTW website...

The duping of Yasir Hameed

Anything in italics has been added by me

[The video starts somewhere in the middle of the conversation]

Yasir Hameed: Allegations are being made.

Undercover Reporter: What's this all about, we're in a lot of difficulty. This is giving us a bad name.

Yasir Hameed: Yes, we're getting a bad name.

Undercover Reporter: They've been caught.

[Part of the conversation cut out]

Undercover Reporter: Have you looked into it. You (players) dont have any agents or managers.

Yasir Hameed: There (could also mean they, as in the Majeeds) are agents but they are ba****d bookies.

Undercover Reporter: Yes, they're thieves.

Undercover Reporter: Has he (Mazhar Majeed) asked to work with you

Yasir Hameed: He's never discussed fixing with me

Undercover Reporter: ok

Yasir Hameed: He (Majeed) had already been with these lads (the 3 accused) for the last 4 or 5 years.

Undercover Reporter: He was with them?

[Part of the conversation appears to be cut out]

Yasir Hameed: But I escaped, it's fate. God saved me. (But saved him from what? Why was the previous bit cut out?)

Undercover Reporter: Look they did this in Australia as well. You didn't play in Australia did you?

Yasir Hameed: No, I didn't

Undercover Reporter: They did it big there too

Yasir Hameed: Yes in the Sydney test, £1.8 million (here Hameed, who wasn't in Australia, is clearly referring to the NOTW sting and gets the amount wrong)

Undercover Reporter: You must discuss this amongst yourselves (very open and leading question. Does it refer to the NOTW sting or fixing in general?)

Yasir Hameed: Yes.

Undercover Reporter: You must talk about it, definitely.

Yasir Hameed: (no response)

Undercover Reporter: They've said that it's being done in every match.

Yasir Hameed: About that figure

Undercover Reporter: Are you sure.

Yasir Hameed: God would know that (as in Hameed has no info on that), this is what the reports are saying, that Scotland Yard has been after them for a long time (this clearly shows that Hameed is quoting from the NOTW sting).

Yasir Hameed: The one who gets caught is the thief

Undercover Reporter: Exactly, exactly.

Undercover Reporter: (explaining to someone else) He said the ones who get caught are the crooks but the ones who don't are alright. (here the reporter adds his own interpretation to Hameeds statement for the benefit of the hidden camera)

Undercover Reporter: £150,000

Yasir Hameed: The money was laid out before him and for that £150,000 he was telling them when no balls would be bowled. Imagine what they were going to do in the future, just think about it. (Quite clearly speculating on the NOTW video like all of us have been. No proof of anything)

Undercover Reporter: That's true

Yasir Hameed: Can you imagine? (No proof or statement, just imagination)

Yasir Hameed: Of course, why not. I was put out of the team because of these bad things. Because I never got involved. Imagine you're sat there and you're a bookie and you tell me that you want to fix the match tomorrow. I've met lots of people like that in the past.

Undercover Reporter: They approached you?

Yasir Hameed: Yeah, I refused.

Undercover Reporter: Good

Yasir Hameed: Yeah I refused, they offered me handsome money. I would've come to see you in a Ferrari.

Yasir Hameed: I mean, they give you enough money to fulfil your dreams, buy a car. That's the sort of money they were giving me.

Undercover Reporter: How much did they used to offer you?

Yasir Hameed: Mate, big money. I was offered up to £150,000.

Undercover Reporter: You were offered £150,000

Yasir Hameed: Think how big is £150,000

~~ Ends ~~
  2. Online

Mercenary

This piece made The Guardian. My second favourite paper after The Independent..

3. Offline

Juggernaut

4. Offline

Wasim

Wine, Distortion and Videotape.:) Clever title.

Great work Habib.
  5. Online

Omar

He seems to like white wine quite a bit!

Good title btw! :)
    Passionate Pakistani likes this.
  6. Online

Mercenary

Guess what? This did make my favourite paper The Independent as well...

7. Offline

Observer

Good work by Cricistan.com

It seems like NOTW themselves are in the middle of the storm.

Sensationalism and NOTW:

"The prime minister's media adviser, Andy Coulson, freely discussed the use of unlawful news-gathering techniques while editor of the News of the World and "actively encouraged" a named reporter to engage in the illegal interception of voicemail messages, according to allegations published by the New York Times."

and

"The New York Times, which has had an investigative team at work on the story since March, is citing two former News of the World journalists who specifically claim that Coulson was directly aware of his reporters' use of illegal techniques.

An unnamed former editor is quoted as claiming that Coulson talked freely about illegal news-gathering techniques, including phone-hacking, and that he personally had been at "dozens, if not hundreds" of meetings with Coulson where the subject came up. "The editor added that when Coulson would ask where a story came from, editors would reply 'We've pulled the phone records' or 'I've listened to the phone messages'.""

Full article:

Andy Coulson discussed phone hacking at News of the World, report claims | Media | The Guardian
  8. Offline

Nauman

Great stuff merc when I read your piece yesterday I was hoping that it would make its way around, glad to know its happening.
  9. Offline

Wasim

They didn't even stop there. They went on to blackmail Yasir Hameed with the footage of him drinking. (unproven by the way - Hameed claims he was drinking water)

Utterly unethical journalism!

Good on Yasir Hameed for not giving in to their threats, and exposing them instead.
  10. Offline

the_game

Good job Merc. Anyone with the slightest sense of perspective would understand that Yasir was simply referring to what was alleged by the tabloid newspaper.
  11. Online

Mercenary

It's certainly done that.

In the Independent, Guardian, Cricinfo's Surfer and now on the PCB Website homepage.
  12. Offline

Inferno

can you confirm/deny that he was drinking wine?

p.s sorry for the random post, knees are hurting after reading nafl
  13. Offline

nazimcricket

Whilst you're waiting for a comment on this from Merc, my first reaction when I saw the video was that he's drinking water out of a wine glass. The liquid just didn't seem to have the colouration and depth of wine. Not that I care one way or the other what he was drinking.
  14. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

15. Offline

1137moiz

Amazing @Mercenary. At the time I thought Hameed was being extorted and misreported, especially because of the "wine" and also because he gave no info outside what the NOTW had already reported. I was wondering why NOBODY in the media reported this but TOP WORK
  16. Offline

1137moiz

Leastway it ended happily, Hameed sued them and NOTW

Btw @Mercenary we share newspaper tastes ;-)
  17. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Hameed career is all but over courtesy this scandal
  18. Online

Mercenary

Hameed has been reselected in the probables camp but have the PCB got over this hit piece from the NOTW?

It's unfair that a newspaper can just speculate, tell outright lies and pretty much end a talented players career. Had we persisted with Hameed I'm sure he'd still have been a staple part of the Test and ODI batting today.

His biggest strength was that he used to score without a major fuss, before you knew it he was on 20 or 30 runs. But batting opposite Salman Butt, who was clicking up the pounds with each dot ball played, used to put undue scoring pressure on Hameed and he'd end up fishing and getting out.

If he gets another chance, i hope he can show that he's put this episode behind him.
  19. Offline

Wistful Reminisces

Amazing article, @Mercenary. Really brilliant!

But... I disagree with your post now, he's nowhere near good enough to be established in this team, no matter how bad our opening is at the moment
    :)
  20. Offline

Energy

This article is out of the top drawer @Mercenary
  21. Offline

Ahson Afzal

Great article

I haven't seen him play too much apart from 2010 but going by stats he was a very good ODI player in the early part of his career. Don't see any point playing him now as he's 36.
  22. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

I dont share same views with @Mercenary on many topics but this guy is ridiculously talented.. whether it is cricket, politics, religion or any other topic.... especially when you compare him to other posters!
    Wistful Reminisces likes this.
  23. Online

Mercenary

He had more promise than any of the other options we had at that time, he was by no means the finished article but no player is the finished article when they debut. International cricket is a finishing school and Hameed could have improved a lot. He had an impressive base to start with. I rate him above his contemporaries.

For a second I thought you were talking about Hameed and I was about to say, come on he wasn't that good!
  24. Offline

Bruce Wayne

@Mercenary - Freaking brilliant! Marvellous stuff. :clap

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cricstan

2. yasir hameed

3. yasir hameed drinking

4. yasir hameed cricketer,
  5. yasir,
  6. www.cricistan.com,
  7. yasir image,
  8. yasir hameed pak player,