Why so much hate for Afridi?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Well, this isnt a thread to defend Afridi but i really dont know why do people hate Afridi so much on forums.. i thought it was only PP but the same pattern is followed on CS as well now..

some will call him a minnow basher, some will say he is a ball biter and some will come up with their own funny assumptions... :fp

It is a proven fact that he is an impact player, match winner on his day and probably the only super star in this team.

I agree he failed and disappointed us on many occasions but thats how he is... he has won us numerous games as well.. one of the key player in t20 wc 2009 and then the only Pakistani who was selected in team of the tournament in 2011 WC.

Most Motm awards for Pakistan in Odis even when he has played lesser games than both Inzi and Was... still people bash him at every available opportunity.

While on the other hand traitors like Asif, Aamir, Butt and Was are supported... Players like Razzaq, Yousuf who turned their back on Pak Cricket are supported but Afridi....

well i will never understand the exact reasons why people hate him so much....
  2. Offline

Prince Pathan

not probably

hes the only superstar
    Passionate Pakistani likes this.
  3. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

some will argue that Umer akmal and Misbah are bigger stars than him. :fp
  4. Offline

Prince Pathan

do not want to comment on umar akmal before you get all angry again lol
  5. Online

Omar

Hate is a strong word. Enough said.
  6. Offline

Energy

Its not hate certainly. He's been a decent servant to Pakistan cricket over the years and that's unfortunately where it all ends.
  7. Offline

Saul Goodman

Maybe i shouldn't have compared him to a viral infection that wont go away.
  8. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

when

1. you start taking personal shots like calling him an idiot, fool and so on....

2. when you assume things (obviously negatively) about whatever he says.., whatever he does..

3. when you are ready to jump on every opportunity to bash him...

then Hate is a very weak word. :)
    Energy likes this.
  9. Online

Omar

Haule Haule...:)
  10. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

bhai

dont you see all these imaginary posts of his lovers...

even the likes of aamir,asif,butt and wasim arent criticised that much for fixing games..
  11. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

The majority of people and Pakistan cricket followers are just fed up with him not unleashing his full potential and being or becoming as big a player as he could have been.

There is no doubt he is a match winner and produced some memorable moments in Cricket, but he could have produced many more if he used his brain and thats what i feel Pakistan fans are frustrated with him about.

I agree there is some hate for the guy from Pakistan fans, but that has come due to the fact of his inability to use his brain and in doing so, Pakistan Cricket fans became Frustrated with him over a long period of time, which is now being unleashed on him during the later stages of his career.
  12. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

i agree with ya post that most of the people are frustrated with his inconsistency but then again Pakistan Team is also inconsistent, i dont see people hating Pakistan team ?

the thing that annoys me is that its the same people who will criticise him, yet praise/support other traitors.
    RapidSnake29 likes this.
  13. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

I agree on the whole that some of the Pakistan team is inconsistant. But again, frustration is taken out on those players who had potential to become big and the real deal, but faded, much like Afridi. Another reason you will see people hating him is because he is a senior and has that extra responsibility to perform consistantly but does not.

@Passionate Pakistani, i think and from what i have seen on Cricistan Afridi is not the only one who is slightly picked on. I'm sure you have noticed when the team fails or things happen players are brought into the light on Cricistan as well as the team, those being players such as Misbah, (Have you seen the hate for him recently?), Mohammed Sami? Hafeez? and so on.
  14. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Is he the only Senior in team?

well, he has still done alot for Pakistan.. one of the main player in our second world title??

Sami,Misbah and Hafeez are criticised only on the basis of Performance and i have no issue with people criticising him for his performance but to take personal shots, make funny assumptions as if he is the sole reason for every wrong happening in this world, :fp then it is indeed very annoying.

btw i wasnt talking about CS only, you need to have a look at few threads on PP as well for that. :)
    RapidSnake29 likes this.
  15. Offline

1137moiz

@Passionate Pakistani I dunno if you were there but last year after Afridi quit I was one of the very few people defending him on PP, at that times chaps like Zaid were having a field day. Point being I genuinely thought he had turned into a fine bowling allrounder and arguably the best player in the side. A year later though I find other players (mainly Misbah, Hafeez and anybody else who has taken any sort of role that Afridi happened to fill) consistently demeaned just to support Afridi, both from fans and especially in the media. I don't think he's remotely as good as some people claim especially with the ball, I do think he's very good though. Nor do I really mind his careless/carefree approach with the bat, there have been plenty of sluggers (like Bomber Wells, Collis King, Gilbert Jessop, Colin Milburn, etc) who have been popular with the crowds even though they were unreliable, in fact I think Afridi is better than all of them. But I don't think he's as good a bowler or allrounder as he's claimed to be, and I find this "single-handed matchwinner" claim mostly untrue as well. I do think he's good and not nearly as useless as his detractors claim, he's one of Pakistan's better players
    Waq and Passionate Pakistani like this.
  16. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

@1137moiz

yeah i have seen ya posts in that thread and thats why i respect your opinion, because your evaluvation will be mostly on the basis of his performances and not on other factors.

tbh and tbf, you can criticise any player specifically on the basis of poor performance but to assume things, manipulate stats to degrade a player is certainly not funny, that also when he has served his country for 16 years.
  17. Offline

Strength Is Life

Passionate Pakistani,

Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the title of OP "Why so much hate for Afridi?" is assuming hatred from Pakistani fans. Because, I am yet to meet any non-Pakistani who hates Afridi.

My own view of Afridi is of course he is a definite draw at the box office. Last year when I went to Napier to watch NZL v PAK, one of the reasons was because Shahid Afridi was playing. Now if I were to put myself into the shoes of a Pakistani supporter, I probably can sense the outrage and exasperation among some of the Pakistani fans given the massive gap between the expectations on Shahid and his achievements.

I suspect a majority of the Pakistani fans expect him to score along the lines of 60 (35), 36 (12) something like that every time he comes out to bat. I am sure he himself will admit he has not done justice to his potential. In fact I have read somewhere he actually said fans should not expect too much from him and God unfortunately has not blessed him with the maturity to play long innings.

My point is instead of hating him, maybe some of the ire should be directed towards the selectors if fans think he is in the team despite his poor performances.

To a certain degree in countries like India and Pakistan, players who have this larger than life aura about them makes their ouster from the team very difficult based on form. Case in point, despite the fact that I am the number one supporter and fan of Sachin Tendulkar, I actually felt he should have been dropped from the Indian team a few years back based on his form, I think this was way back in 2006/2007 post tennis elbow phase.

Let me be very honest, I think if Shahid Afridi was in any other team other than Pakistan, he would have been subjected to far more higher standards of performance, accountability and rigour.

To end, I do not certainly hate Shahid. He definitely is an entertainer, whether you get entertained by his exploits with bat, ball, his verbal jousts, quirky interviews, getting into trouble unwittingly with fans, administrators, fellow players is up to you :). On a serious note, he did play a crucial role in Pakistan lifting the 2009 T 20 World Cup and that counts for something in a cricket mad country where masses look towards their national cricket team for some relief, succour and happiness in moments of despair.
  18. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

No he is not the only senior in the team, and like i said senior players like Misbah have gone through this kind of stuff as well as most recently Mohamed Sami and Mohammed Hafeez.

I did not say he has not done a lot for Pakistan, I agree he was one of the main players in our world title sucess but im saying that he had the Potential to do a lot more then he actually has, hence the Frustration from the Fans.

Well i agree with you about the Personal shots, it's not very wise.

Lol, I have never posted on PP so honestly do not know what is going on there.
  19. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Brilliant post @Strength Is Life

yeah it was more directed at Pak fans...

and as you said..you are yet to see a non-pakistani who hates him

most of cricket pundits like him alot.. especially Naseer Hussain, Atherton, Holding, Tony Greg, Mark Waugh, Manjrekar, Shahstri and that other indian commentator.

its just us fans who will always have a go at him.
  20. Offline

Saein

This reaction or over reaction of anti-Afridi's is nothing to do with cricket. I do not want to go in details of that, but it is one of major reasons why our country as a whole and pakistan team in particular is not progressing. :(
  21. Offline

Saein

haters.jpg

This is what Afridi wanna say on this thread :p
  22. Offline

Prince of Pakistan

He is the prince of the crowd, the most hated and the most loved. The same was with Shoaib Akhtar.
    Yes there are biased fans who would blame everything on Afridi but there also fans who defend him at any cost.

@Passionate Pakistani Coming back at your question, I think it got to do with his batting which frustrates people. Pakistan could have won matches if he didn't bat recklessly. For the people who have evolved and see Afridi as a bowling allrounder, for them it will remain a mystery why people hate him because most of the time he is the best bowler of the side. Maybe doesn't always take a lot of wickets but he does bowl economically most of the time. In the end he is a human and won't perform excellently in every match but he does his bit if you look at the scorecards carefully.
  23. Offline

shahrukh619

simple,

He had so much talent with the bat, but he just gives away his wicket in every game. He never bats with responsibility. Afridi has played 300+ games, and still hasn't realisaed how to bat with resposibilty. After 347 odis, he holds a batting average of 22...

It's funny how we blame and drop Umar Akmal every now and then for not being a responsible batsmen, but we let the likes of Afridi stay in the team........

Then also his fans, who would blame everyone else for the loss, but would never balme Afridi for his poor batting.

THen also, Afridi and his fans don't know wather he himself is a batsmen, allrounder, bowler... If he bats good one day then he is an allrounder, and when he sucks with this bat, he is called a bowler who could bat abit... Just poor excuses to defend him.

If AFridi is a bowler, or a bowling allrounder, then why does Afridi bat above the order in some games? Why did Afridi open the batting in the begining of his career..

Afridi has played 347 odis games and has taken 347 wickets......:fp: 1 wicket per game???

If Afriid is not a batsmen, then he should atleast bowl better. Because if he is not a batsmen then what is he? A bowler right?

Also i like how every now and then his fans brag about the number of wickets and runs Afridi has scored, but THE NEVER bother to look at the average and number of matches Afridi ahs played.

Thing is Afridi has played so many games which he din't even deserve to play.

Disclaimer:If someone answers this post, plz give me an answer to every point i mentioned.
    Wajid likes this.
  24. Offline

1137moiz

I disagree completely with this and this is one of the quibbles I have. Afridi is a good bowler and nothing more, he's way more inconsistent than both Ajmal and Hafeez. He is not "the best bowler of the side" most of the time, he is either brilliant or toothless. For example we have people complementing his effort (rightly) in this last match and yet in his last 7-8 matches before that, apart from the Asia Cup final, he did nothing. He gets a much much broader canvas than nearly any other allrounder--you look at Mohammad Hafeez, Abdul Razzaq, Azhar Mahmood, Shoaib Malik, even to an extent Rana Naved, and they were rarely given 10 overs on the trot even when they were the best bowlers in that particular game or bowling economically--and imho he is overrated as a bowler. As long as he's perched at No 7-8, I have no problem with his batsmanship except for the times he throws away winning positions (because he has also won some matches with that same approach). But I think he is wildly overrated as a bowler: he's good, occasionally excellent, and that's all.
    iZeeshan and Energy like this.
  25. Offline

Energy

@1137moiz I echo similar sentiments. Both as a batsman or bowler, the man is hugely overrated. However, this does not take away the fact the at times he produces his moments of brilliance (which every other cricketer does to be brutally honest) but for the majority of his career, he's been nothing more than decent or an average cricketer at best.
  26. Offline

iZeeshan

Can you please first fix your spelling, grammar, and multiple unnecessary ellipses. Your posts are an eyesore to read.

I'm not an expert at Afridi stats nor am I a die-hard, blind supporter of him, so I will let someone else take care of it.
  27. Offline

Saul Goodman

Ohhhh comeone Izeeshan no need to be a grammar nazi. :)
  28. Offline

iZeeshan

lol, it's not even grammar, like you have spelling mistakes in your posts but it's not an eyesore to read

It's awful seeing Afridi spelled as Afriid, and Misbah as Mibsah or Mibsha and hundreds of dots everywhere. Don't know why so many Pakistani/Indian borns/citizens do that. All my cousins post their statuses as "Going to beeach......................!". Like, I just don't get it.

Also, I'm bored at work.
    Wajid and Shahid Afridi rulez like this.
  29. Offline

AZK

more often that not let down the team when they really needed him, plus is a pretty big a-hole in real life.
  30. Offline

Winsome

Well, I am agree but a little Passionate.
    Afridi is really a superstar and might be forever.
    He is the key player in ODIs and particularly in t20s.
    But he is much or might be a most improved bowler then a batsman.
    I don't know why but I hated him from his initial but now from a couple of years I rather like him.
    Specially after WC 2011 and dismissal of Afridi I paid him salutation on many occassions.
    He is not as bad as people think but he is not as good as you(passionate) think.
    You criticised Yousuf and Razzak why?
    Venerable likes this.
  31. Offline

iZeeshan

How is he an a-hole?
  32. Offline

Saein

U intentionally or unintentionally inviting Zaid 65 here:p
  33. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Amjad javed, insaniyat and saeed-sohail, Dodger,Kane and Saj as well. :)
  34. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

Everywhere you go there will always be haters of certain people. Your obviously not going to find a Cricket forum with all Afridi fans, there is definitely going to be some haters/dislikers (whatever you want to call it).
  35. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Not all fans but they act as neutrals.. I dont see other players hated that much, no personal shots at other players but somehow afridi gets all the abuse, I think he was the one of the main reason behind First World War and Second World War.

And its very sad because most of the foreigners like/praise him but Some of these so called Pakistani fans attack his personality.
    Strength Is Life likes this.
  36. Offline

Markhor

He could have, COULD have been one of the greatest EVER Pakistani all-rounders.

But without that patience, temperament and application he is wasting that talent. And that's frustrating - not only does it hurt Afridi, but it hurts the Pakistan team. He gives his wicket away too easily.

There is one poster on here who met Afridi in person - but when he tried to give him some batting tips - Afridi actually lashed out at him.

http://www.cricistan.com/forums/threads/new-topic-old-news-my-trip-to-st-lucia-pics-included.3525/

Waq likes this.
  37. Offline

Waq

This thread can be looked at in another way.......

Rather than asking why there is so much hate towards Afridi, it can also be looked at that why there is so much love towards Afridi?

He is hardly a century maker or regular 5fer type of player and more importantly he lets you down more often than not! Is this kind of love normal? I can understand people loving Messi or a Michael Jordan but Afridi? I have always suspected that the love is little do to do with his cricketing ability but more to do with his showbiz style of play that is better suited for amateur league and not the professional arena.

I will give Afridi his due - he could of been a great player since he clearly had the physical skill but cricket is also very much a mental game and he lacks in this area. I honestly believe that if a Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Gayle or other big hitters tried to go psychotic from the first ball they faced that they would still be better than Afridi. Afridi's conversion rate of 50s and 100s is pretty poor and his achievements too me are not spectacular. In fact I am supremely confident that there are many players in world cricket who would have a better sixes and strike rate record if they went hell for leather but cricket is ultimately about a sizeable total and not a two sixes and out 3 ball 12 runs innings! The difference is that these players realised that a century or big score every 50 odd games is not acceptable.

Despite this post, I still find Afridi very exciting to watch and will continue to view his innings with excitement. This does not mean that the excitement will turn to obsession and love. As I have said previously on other forums, when I was 15 my obsession was Pamela Anderson and not a silky haired Pathan male!
    Venerable, Energy and Markhor like this.
  38. Offline

Saul Goodman

Lol, you missed a full stop. :) Just Kiddin.
    iZeeshan likes this.
  39. Offline

Mahesh

People hate him because even after so many failures, he thinks that he is the best in Pakistan cricket. His bowling average against top teams is poor/average whereas his batting is clicking only once in 10 matches.
    Venerable likes this.
  40. Offline

Saul Goodman

People suggest that, 'Hey hes a match winner, just look at his MoM awards!'. What they don't realise is that Afridi merely benefits from the laws of averages. If you bat like he does and once in a while you click (even if its by chance) you will win the game. He doesn't assess risk he just treats all deliveries the same. What sends me into a rage is that people encourage him.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why do indians hate afridi

2. hate afridi

3. we hate afridi

4. why does everyone hate shahid afridi,
  5. We hate Shahid afridi,
  6. when afridi played bad all the people start hating hin and when good than praise him,
  7. i hate those who hate shahid afridi,
  8. watch this if you hate afridi,
  9. why do pakistanis hate afridi