What was your favourite movie based on a video game?

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Mercenary, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Online

Mercenary

A game of a movie is pretty standard fare but you dont often get movies made about games and when they are made, they tend to be complete tripe (like Super Mario Bros).

But which game to movie film do you think kept to the story of the game the closest and was actually enjoyable to watch?

For me it's between the live action Mortal Kombat movie and the first animated Street Fighter movie. Both films stuck close to the games themselves, they offered some great fight sequences and the storyline wasnt that bad either!

Mortal Kombat - I dont know how they managed to rope in Christopher Lambert the Highlander to play Raiden but it made all the difference to the quality of the movie. He was excellent in his role and kept the movie flowing. The fight sequences were brutal and true to the game itself. The confrontation between Johnny Cage and Scorpion in the woods was not only a great piece of cinematography it was also the best fight in the film.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - I didnt think it was possible to make animated fight sequences interesting but this movie managed it. The plot wasnt bad but was mainly just there to facilitate the different fights but the fights themselves were great. The final showdown where Ryu & Ken took on M Bison is the best scene in the film!!

What are your favourite game to film conversions?.
  2. Offline

Aunty Virus

Both Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter sucked. i think the best movie based on a video games to me was Hitman (released recently). I am a huge Hitman game fan and have played all releases except for teh first one.

47 :cool:
  3. Online

Mercenary

I haven't played the game Hitman, actually that's not strictly true. I think I put it on for about 10 mins once. From what I remember I was stuck in a car park trying to learn how to drive or something.

Disco I dont want to have to hear you talk like that about those two great films again!! :angry:
  4. Offline

Nadeem

I'd prefer the Street Fighter over Mortal Kombat be it movie or game. I used to spend large amount of my time playing Street Fighter during my early days, however the quality of games has decreased in recent times therefore I tend to play more of the Call of duty series.
  5. Offline

Wasim

I agree with Disco, both MC and SF movies suck. I love Hitman series, one of my fav video games of all times. And their soundtrack is best of all video games.

Hitman movie wasn't going to live up to the badass agent 47, and I was right after I watched it, but it was worth watching.

Silent Hill is another movie I liked. Later I found out that the movie is based on a game. I tried the game but liked the movie better.

Cant remember other video games turned movies.
  6. Online

Mercenary

I've never played the Hitman game but I think that that game itself was based on a certain genre of movies. So I guess from that perspective it would translate better to celluloid than something like Super Mario Brothers or Streetfighter.

I have to disagree with you about the first Mortal Kombat movie, I thought that was class. Not much of a story but then it was always going to be about the action. Christopher Lambert as Rayden and Talisa Soto as Kitana says it all.
  7. Offline

Rizzy

Not sure if Alien vs Predator counts cos I'm not sure when the game came out, but I'm fairly sure it came out before the film which came out in 2004
  8. Online

Mercenary

Although technically the game was based on the Alien and Predator films.
  9. Online

Mercenary

I recently downloaded the Streetfighter film with Kirstin Kreuk as Chun Li, has anyone seen it and is it worth me wasting my time watching it?
  10. Offline

Saul Goodman

Agent 47 is one slick SOB.........but the movie was an abomination.
  11. Offline

Saul Goodman

All the SF movies are pants.....save 90 mins of your life and dont watch em.

As for game adaptations, the only one thats mildly watchable is tomb raider.
  12. Online

Mercenary

The original animated one was brilliant, especially at the the end where Bison turns Ken against Ryu. But not for long as both Ken and Ryu get together to take out the Psycho Power!!