Virat Kohli vs Umar Akmal

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Rizzy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Offline

Rizzy

Umar Akmal started his career with flamboyance and some brilliant consistency and hitting but over the last year he's changed his game to just plain hitting which isnt really working for him.

Anyway, just been looking at the Indian youngster Virat Kohli who doesnt seem to get as much hype as Umar Akmal but he has a much better average, mainly because he probably averages less brain farts per game. Its also because his career gets shadowed by the batting stars that India has.

Talent wise, who do you think is better? Umar Akmal on his day is one of the most exciting players to watch and if he sorts his temperament out I think he still has more potential than Kohli.
  2. Offline

attidude.asif

virat kohli is better just cuz of his temperament...... umer akmal is not as consistent as Virat Kohli......
    Umer akmal wudn't have made in Indian line up.....
  3. Offline

Pakistan11

Totally agreed Kholi is much more polished and has better sense of responsibility when batting
  4. Offline

Pakistan97

5. Offline

Mercenary

Virat Kohli (like all Indian batsmen) knows how to build an innings, he's got role models like Sachin, Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly to look up to. He's a more complete article.

Umar Akmal on the other hand grew up watching the likes of Ijaz Ahmed, Imran Nazir, Shahid Afridi and his brother Kamran Akmal. I haven't included Inzi, Saeed, MoYo or YK because he clearly hasn't modelled himself on any of them.

He thinks of himself as an Afridi/Nazir type batsman and it shows in his shot selection. The difference being he has slightly more batting brains than either of those two but then that' not hard is it.
  6. Offline

attidude.asif

The problem over here is not batting aggressively but throwing away ur wicket...... everyone can't bat like INZI or YOUSUF and it doesn't always mean that if you slowly built ur innings than pnly you r a great batsmen..... VIV RICHARDS, DESMOND HAYNES, SEHWAG all played or play aggressive cricket, you wanna say cuz they didnt batted like DRAVID OR INZY they were not great enough..... UMER AKMAL's problm is brain fart.......every ball he wanna try a new short there whea he goes wrong...
  7. Offline

sohaib-789

kohli is miles better than umar.
  8. Offline

Boi

Talent wise, Umar Akmal. If Kohli can smash the likes of Lee, Johnson and Siddle the way Umar has then maybe we could consider him more talented.
  9. Offline

shahrukh619

Problem is that U.Akmal is not being used the rite way. If you take alook at all those innings where Pakistan were 5 down and had not reached the 40th over Umar Akmal performed, but when U.Akmal usually comes at the 40th over, the team tries to just slog in the PP.
    India have used Kohli in a good manner.
    If U.akmal won't perform for one serious, we start having talks about him being dropped. Every great player will have 1 or 2 ad series, but that doesn't mean he should be dropped.
  10. Offline

CORNERED TIGER

umer akmal prob is..... his not played a single match @home
    so his average wnt b as good as "flat track" bully kohli...
    kohli been playin at home for past 2 years....
    no wonder he got better average...
    !!!

umer is miles better as far talent goes.....if u love ur averages.... then .... say watever.. but they dnt show everyhting...!!
    Shahzad.Firdous likes this.
  11. Offline

attidude.asif

everytym Indian team need him Kohli stands up like a wall..... he knows his strength and weakness but on the other hand if u see umer akmal when hee is batting there is always a feeling that he might get out on the next ball....

Though Virat kohli doesn't have the same hitting ability as of Akmal but surely he has a better head to work out with.... and for averages, they juz dun come out of the blue..... U have to work hard to get ur avg up....
  12. Offline

shahrukh619

Don't say that bro. Kohli Averages 44 at home and 46 at away. He has played 20 games each at home and away.
  13. Offline

CORNERED TIGER

WHY NOT?

oh i forgot 2 mention..... last 2 years in asia

where as umer played in south africa ... australia....newzealand.... england...
    nothing can b more harder then playin on these pitches...
    i knw kohli has played in south africa.....but....thats all...
    rest all in asia

lol
    no wonder

if umer plays at home his average wil improve .....BIG TIME
  14. Online

Bilal123

To me Umer Akmal and Virat Kohli are on a totally different level. Akmal is the batting star of Pakistan and Virat.. well he's nothing really for India... Also I don't rate Kohli since he hasn't made a test century yet. No batsman is complete without a test century :)
  15. Offline

Boi

Wednesday shall settle this. :p
  16. Offline

Sixer

Definitely. Still I believe Umar is the more talented of the two but needs to keep his head cool. If he remains cool and doesn't try to slog each ball out of the park. He could be one of the best batsmen in the world in years to come.
  17. Offline

zeenix

Not too sure that Akmal is learning. People would talk about his innings against Australia, but still there was was a fair bit of carelessness in that innings too.

I sincerely hope that he overcomes his temperament problems in the Semis. We will need all the help we can get from our batters.
  18. Offline

chandtara

I think Kohli over the past few months has proved that he is quiet clearly the best young talent out there. Twice in the past few weeks he has taken on the burden in high scoring chases. Today was a masterclass (helped by some poor bowling). Akmal has a long way to go to get anywhere near him.
  19. Offline

Mercenary

At this point in time there is no comparison whatsoever, Umar Akmal is an inventive dahser who can give the innings a small boost.

Kohli is a giant who can overshadow the likes of Sachin consistently with match winning knocks. Whether this will continue or he will be effective away from flat pitches is yet to be seen. But the fact flat pitches have become the norm means that games like this will be a more regular occurrence.

I just wish our batsmen could bat like this, even on flat pitches!!
  20. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

They are both very talented however Virat at the most is way way ahead of Umar Akmal. Both have the talents, only one uses his brain. If Umar could use his brain he could become the next big thing from Pakistan! Alas.

I think one main reason of this is because the people that Virat Kohli has been surrounded by. If you look at the Indian XI you see the likes of Sachin, Dhoni, Yuvraj etc there, and they all obvioulsy do help in guiding the youngsters, whereas Umar has had the privilege of looking up to batsmen like Misbah and Afridi. That helps a lot!

Moreover, when Umar Akmal first came onto the scene he was deemed as the next big thing from Pakistan, yet two years on hasn't delivered? Virat Kohli had the assurance of knowing that if he flops he will be guided by the seniors and management whereas Umar Akmal just thought I will get dropped straight away! Umar had to be Pakistan's best batsmen whereas Virat was alongside the best batsmen.

I'm not trying to justify Umar Akmal's silliness. Am just highlighting - rather low lighting - why Umar has flopped so much when Kohli has gone so much more further than him. Umar Akmal really needs help! Untill, someone doesn't help him out this enigma of Umar Akmal will continue ...

Look at what Virat has achieved so forth and look at what Umar has acheived, is there even a comparison? I think not.
  21. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

22. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

23. Offline

Markhor

Umar Akmal should be our Kohli, infact he would be our Kohli if he had a brain.

Kohli rotated strike well, has passion, played each bowler on its merit and clearly had a plan as to how to go about his innings, he is guided by his seniors and hits the bad balls for four/six. He doesn't play the pre-meditated shots like Umar does either.
    NO 1 AFRIDI FAN likes this.
  24. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Exactly, what I've been saying!

Kohli has the proper senior batsmen to guide him whereas Umar has Afridi and Misbah to guide him.

But Umar doesn't help his own cause.
  25. Online

Geordie Ahmed

There is no contest right now, Kohli is light years ahead

I do think the situation for them could not be any different. Umar Akmal has been played in all 3 formats, has been dropped here and there, also he has played in an unstable batting lineup, where he has no real guidance or support and on top of that he is being asked to do wicket keeping duties as well. It is far from ideal for him

If Kohli was in the exact situation that Umar Akmal is in I doubt he would be close to doing as well as he is

Still Umar Akmal needs to calm down down and look to build innings more often, gets a bit too excited
    NO 1 AFRIDI FAN and Nadeem like this.
  26. Offline

WaQaReD!

Kohli is a better odi player - both are pretty ordinary in tests but Kohli already has 11 odi centuries in just 85 games that is pretty amazing
    the only thing i can say for Akmal is that he is 4-5yrs younger than Kohli, that is a massive difference when you are only a youngster, Akmal certainly has the talent to close the gap by the time he himself reaches 25
  27. Online

Geordie Ahmed

The age difference isn't that much, less than 2 years isn't it?
  28. Offline

Saqlain Doosra

At this moment Virat Kohli is complete batsman you can get. On the other hand Umar AKmal has been used to up the tempo player. I think he needs to bat 1 down in ODI and T20. Give him Long run and let handle the pressure. He has done enough of lower order hitting. Don't spoil him by making him think it is ok to hit quick 30.
  29. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Yeh, am sure it is. Umar is like 22 whereas Kohli is 24/24. So 2/3 years difference.
  30. Online

Geordie Ahmed

Just had a quick check

Kohli - 23 years 134 days

Umar Akmal - 21 years 297 days

So the difference is 1 year 202 days
  31. Offline

Mercenary

I will probably get lynched for this but if by 'our Kohli' you mean someone who can finish games then I think within the next five years Hammad Azam (if handled properly) will be a huge batsman for Pakistan.
  32. Offline

Mercenary

But the difference in mental age is inverse, 202 years and 1 day
    cricfreak and NO 1 AFRIDI FAN like this.
  33. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Not much of a difference then!

The onus is on Umar now, if he really wants to perform he better sort himself out.
  34. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

I actually agree with this!

I think if Umar does improve himself he will become more of a attacking/consistent middle order batter. Not a game finisher, because like you said I think Hammad will do that for us.
  35. Offline

WaQaReD!

oh god kohli really is light years ahead then lol
  36. Offline

Nadeem

Finding difficult to believe that members are comparing the age of the two players (clutching at straws) . The innings from kohli today clearly demonstrates he is by far the better batsmen at this moment in time. I, like many others, believe Akmal's talent is wasted lower down the order, whereas Kohli bats at 3 or 4, therefore, he is able to actually spend time in the middle. Akmal often finds himself coming in either to hit from ball one or save the innings from collapsing.
  37. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Umar Akmal, really, should be promoted to #3.
  38. Offline

1137moiz

Umar Akmal reminds me of Ajantha Mendis in that both were ridiculously hyped after brilliant starts to the game. Mendis, in one-day format at least, still has a very fine record but because of the massive expectations (I remember people saying he can double Murali's tally and redefine spin, lol) people are bound to get disappointed. Umar's superb start also brought up comparisons with Miandad, Viv Richards, Tendulkar, etc which was ridiculous. He's talented and the best batsman to emerge for Pakistan in years but in my opinion he's not that far ahead of most of the pack of unfulfilled talents we have had over the past including Nazir, Hameed, Shehzad, even Afridi in terms of ability. In recent times Umar's poor results have not been much worse than most of our batsmen, he has batted down the order and kept as well, played exclusively abroad and yes has had more than his share of foolish implosions. His average is still a respectable 38 and though he could do better, it's just a reminder that extravagant hype can have its downfall. The only young Pakistan player of recent years who in a full career has fully justified the excitement is Amir and he was banned

I absolutely hate this kind of hype for any player, that they will be the next Lara/Akram/Warne etc, it's unfair on them and it's plain silly. Yes compare roles and styles but don't set yourselves up for a fall. Setting high standards is the player's job for themselves
  39. Offline

cricfreak

our team is trying best to make umar akmal in to a hitter , i personally think unless he is sent up the order the downfall will continue for him , easily the most natural talented player in the lineup , can take the game away !
    but we r using him as a hitter , shameful !
    i think he should be @ 3 , nothing against yunis or someon1 , but he is young , give him some responsibility !
  40. Offline

Temptation*

Kohli's innings from today probably settles this debate.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. umar akmal vs virat kohli

2. virat kohli vs umar akmal

3. comparison between virat kohli and umar akmal

4. sixer of umar aqmal vs malenga,
  5. umar akmal best inning,
  6. umar akmal and virat kohli,
  7. virat kohli and umar akmal,
  8. virat kohli fart,
  9. Umar akmal vs Virat kholi,
  10. virat kohli or umar akmal,
  11. umer akmal vs virat kohli who is better,