Umar Gul - Free Ride in team?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

How many of you think that Umer Gul has taken his place for granted. This guy has been playing intl cricket for last 8/9 years yet brainless.
    He can't use the new ball and lately can't even reverse. On top of that his economy is always above 5/6. I can't remember when was the last time he bowled economically.

And to add insult to the injury, he doesn't possess any brain.
  2. Offline

Feather

Everyone isn't going to be Wasim, Waqar or even Asif Amir. You can't judge everyone with the same yardstick. Gul isn't a bad bowler however like batsman he has been given different roles in last couple of years. A while back we had him use the old bowl and he came on very late in the innings and then we move him to the middle of the innings and then we want him to perform with the new ball.

Everyone has been going on about the spinners and how England were going to be white washed within the ODI's as well. If you ask me...the spinners are the bigger failure. Law averages...english batsman were going to come back sooner then later after so many failures.
  3. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Can you please tell me when was the last time we saw some quality bowling from Gul.
    Imnt saying he is shoaib,wasim or waqar but he is spearhead of this attack. And has taken his place for granted. Why don't they drop him for few games and give a chance to the likes of junaid,talha or even wahab.

What has Gul done to deserve a place in starting eleven of every single frigging game.

An over rated,over hyped and brainless bowler.
  4. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

And another no ball.. Wtf... This guy needs to be send on a long holiday.. Pathetic infact beyond pathetic
  5. Offline

Feather

Sure, look at the list of wicket takers in the tests. Compare the numbers of wickets taken by fast bowlers and you might get an idea. Like I said this entire series was based around spinners...fast bowlers weren't given the proper chance and it isn't like Gul and company let the opposition score 300 runs. The batsman have failed.

When Gul has done well...Pakistan have enjoyed success as well. What I am saying is...they need to stop messing with his game by assigning him either the new ball or the old ball or simply give the guy 2/3 overs before putting spinners on...all this doesn't do well for his game.
  6. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Man

Broad and Andersen played in the same test series as well???

And Gul has been pathetic for quite some time now, not only in this series and he seems undroppable
  7. Offline

Feather

yes, however you might need to consider their batsman struggle against spin not fast bowling. While our batsman are struggle in themselves. Anyway end of the day...Gul along with others has to do better. I wouldn't go far as dropping him. It isn't like we bowlers who are easily going to replace Gul anyhow.
  8. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Man don't revolve around England series. Gul has been pathetic for almost one year... Need to check his stats
  9. Offline

Feather

I don't do stats...they never really tell you everything. Anyhow I have been away from cricket for a while perhaps I have missed the matches in which he has done poorly. The very little I did catch up with cricket Gul has often came through.
  10. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

11. Offline

Feather

As I said earlier stats aren't my thing. However since you insist on stats...I will hear you out. Who should replace Gul? minnows or no minnows...you either look and the entire picture or you don't. What is Afridi avg against better teams ie like India>?

I believe if Gul is going to win us games against the minnows then so be it. Lets play him for those games. If anyone else is going to do better then Gul against the better teams then lets give them a chance. So far I haven't seen anyone...hence I said earlier Gul shouldn't be dropped.
  12. Offline

Bouncer

He has been a free loader for over 4 years now with exception of one or three spells a season.
  13. Online

isaacking

Gul is a rhythm blower who will have few bad day which we need to accept. What Gul needs is the confidence of the Captain & the fact that Misbah has no faith in the seam blower is simply visible for everyone of us to see. Hence let not judge Gul on his current performance.
  14. Offline

Markhor

Far too inconsistent, his head drops too easily and loses confidence. He hasn't been able to swing the ball to the extent the England bowlers have and is a third seamer, not a lead the line bowler. Needs to be rested for the next match.
  15. Offline

chandtara

He has had a very poor time of late with the ball. Been very inconsistent as many have mentioned. He's the leader of the pack but he's not handling the responsibility very well. We need him to be picking up wickets early but he is all over the shop with his line and length, no discipline (stepped over the line 4 times today). What happened to his lethal yorker? Not long ago he was one of the best death bowlers around. He's really struggling for form at the moment, maybe a rest his best for him.
    Passionate Pakistani likes this.
  16. Offline

AAKS

Gul is a quality bowler but he just seems lost right now, maybe dropping him for a series or two will help bring back his focus and send him a message that he can't take his spot for granted anymore
  17. Online

WaQaReD!

Gul is a decent bowler but probably is still living off the memories of his performances in the T20 World Cup's where he really was excellent. Way too inconsistent and would probably serve Pakistan better as the 2nd Seamer but its not his fault we dont have anyone else to support him, the pressure is always on him to perform. Pakistan really should look to groom Junaid, he had a bad game against England after a return from injury but he needs time in the middle bowling in real games to get back to the promise he was showing previously and him and Gul could make a good partnership.
  18. Offline

Passionatelover

People improve with time but Gul is sliding down...He used to be a good bowler with new ball, bit more aggressive, faster and could move the ball either way but since Asif and Aamir departure from cricket seen....he has lost the plot rather then taking responsibility due to lack to competition for his spot.
    Passionate Pakistani likes this.
  19. Offline

akmalrashid007

umar gul is totally wreckless. pakistan should give the chance to sadaf hussain
  20. Offline

Feather

I think the fault lies with the selectors and the management. We have decent players that come through however they aren't suited for all the formats. I never thought Gul was a test bowler and however he has always been good ODI and T20 bowler.

Our selectors push our players into formats in which they aren't suited. I remember when Amir and Asif were around...Gul only came on with the old ball. When you have players that are assigned one role one day and another the other day...things just don't work.
  21. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

The free ride just won man of the match award.
  22. Offline

Feather

I love the way you put it. It was good to hear from Gul that he knows he hadn't done well in the ODI's. It is always good to hear players knowing where they stand in terms of the performance.

I will back Merc on the point he made earlier. Gul isn't the leader of the pack. He isn't even very good test bowler but in ODI's and T20's we need him in these formats. It would be good to have a decent partner to bowl with...least they can share some of the load.

I do have problem with Gul...for the life of me I can't understand why he doesn't bowl the same way as he does in t20 in ODI's or tests often?
  23. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Gul isn't as half as bad as people make him out to be.

He comes good when we need him the most - like today. However, he is very inconsistent. That's what creates the problems. I thought that he had forgotten how to bowl the yorker but it's good to know he can still bowl it.
  24. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Gul is still over rated and Pathetic and these 2/3 overs wont make a big difference
  25. Offline

Passionatelover

Funny enough that two of the most discussed players according to Cricistan at least performed somehow ;-) CRICISTAN IS THE WINNER lol
  26. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

we should discuss farhat next... lol
  27. Offline

Passionatelover

and hey your beloved SEXY rehman and Sami as well please lol
  28. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

Yeh he's a 'Free ride' and that's why he got the MOTM award.

:fp:
  29. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Once a year.. Old fella
  30. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

And Younis as well
  31. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

If we didn't have him today, we would have lost this match too.

All credit goes to Gul.
  32. Offline

Passionatelover

It is amazing isn't it ;-) One good performance and we forget the past and he become over hero, one bad performance and we forget all the good performances in the past and becomes a victim....Wah re Wah Kia bat hai mere Pakistani Bhaio ke
  33. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Make him the president asap
  34. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Not one bad performance

One and half year free ride
  35. Offline

Passionatelover

Time Time ke bat hai piyare ;-) I think its the wedding which effects players.....Umar yorkers gone, shoaib form gone, Probably they need to consult Waqar coz he was in his peak after marriage lol
  36. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

What's being president got to with anything?

I am talking about him and his bowling only.
  37. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

He is useless, brainless, over hyped and over rated.
  38. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

How is he?!
  39. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

Don't ask question old fella.. Im tired.
  40. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

Just because you've got no answer, right?

:p

Users found this page by searching for:

1. umar gul vs aamir comparison