Non 'English' players playing for England

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by ghulam35, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Offline

ghulam35

England players that have recently played for England or are contracted or in the current squad.

4 players Born in South Africa/Played for South Afrcia Jnr/B Teams

Andrew Strauss - Born in SA
    Matt Prior - Born in SA
    Jonathan Trott - Born in SA
    KP Pietersen - As we all know

6 Other Players not born in England

TR Ambrose - Born In Austraila
    EJG Morgan - Irish, evem played for irelamd
    Vikram Solanki - Born In India
    Amjad Khan - Born in Denmakr, did he play for them to?
    Owais Shah - Born in Karachi
    Geraint Jones - Born in Papa New Guinea

None of the following 6 were born to english parents

Dimitri Mascarenhas - Sri Lankan parents, raised up in Austrailia
    Adil Rashid
    Monty Panesar
    Sajid Mahmod
    Ravi Bopara
    Samit Patel

thats 16 players that could and in some cases should not be playing for England. They can name a full squad out these lot.

If you add Craig Kieswetter when he gets the call up, thats 17
  2. Offline

Juggernaut

I don't understand how Adil Rashid, Monty Panesar, Saj Mahmood, Ravi Bopara etc. fit into this.

They were born in England and brought up there so they have every right to play for England. Ofcourse if you consider people born in England to non-white parents as not English than thats another matter.

Also I have no problem with Strauss and Prior playing for England. They may have been born in South Africa but they grew up in England and as such are English. The English cricket system has played a major role in the development of these two players. I think where you grow up is almost always the country that you identifiy yourself with or atleast it should be in my eyes.

Now the other players you mention:

Solanki and family moved to England when he was 8 years old. He grew up in England and learnt his cricket there. Makes him English in my eyes.

Players that I have a gripe with are those that have been raised elsewhere, those that have got their cricketing education in a different country and yet end up playing for England wether through parentage or settlement and yet almost always because they probably won't break into their own country's national side. Pietersen and Kieswetter are examples of that.
  3. Offline

ghulam35

im not disputing any of them playing for England even though like yourself I do have some issues for the likes of Trott and Morgan, the point I was trying to make was that all these players are qualified to played for other nations so could easily have been playing elsewhere.
  4. Offline

Mercenary

I'm with Juggernaut on the fact that if a player is brought up in a certain country then he has every right to play for that country.

But I do understand where you're coming from with this thread and I'm with both of you when it comes to guys like Pietersen and their shifting nationalities and allegiances. Another one that doesn't get mentioned very often is Dirk Nannes, I think it was a great disservice to developing cricketing nations like Holland when players like Nannes are allowed to be taken by a Test team despite them representing Holland at the national level.
  5. Offline

12thman

I agree , England should only take on players who have been born or raised up at a young age in this country. It is embarrassing for them that they cannot find British born/raised players who are good enough to represent the country. I'm not sure where the problem is because the English cricket system is one of the best in the world. Players are nurtured at a young age from school cricket/club/county etc so they shouldn't be a problem in finding talent and having to go to South African players or people with dual nationalities.
  6. Offline

Mercenary

The desperation of the ECB to chase after players like Morgan, Pietersen, Kieswetter and Trott is really quite embarassing.

England has a proud cricketing tradition, how do hopeful young county batsmen or u19 players feel when they see guys like Pietersen come flying in and jump into spots they were destined for.

It's another thing when a player like Tahir fills a position where that particular country has never been strong. For example if India could nab a Pakistani fast bowler or Pakistan could nab an Indian opening batsman etc.
  7. Offline

Rizzy

Im also with Juggernaut with this, England has now become a multicultural society so players who are born/raise here or get their cricketing education here are well within their rights to play for England.

If you try going through the cricketing ranks in one country and cant make it so change country then I dont think that should be allowed. Even Dirk Nannes shouldnt be playing for Australia.
  8. Offline

mmkextreme_1

Question does English people not play that much cricket? or is soccer bigger? cause it seems like now only SA and Asians are taking over the English Cricket team! I think in order for cricket to stay popular in England then they need to have more "English" players coming through..if you know what I mean

I think the ICC should take into consideration what FIFA has done..and that is that!
  9. Offline

Rizzy

Crickets big, but Football has much bigger hype here. Cricket here is usually only noticed when there is an Ashes campaign going on. Also with football, many of the matches are televised on the free to air channels like ITV but cricket is mainly shown by Sky Sports which requires subscription so has less viewers.

I remember when England won the T20 world cup, despite it being the only World Cup England has won in their history it only made a 30 sec news bulletin on BBC news just before the weather :)
  10. Offline

Rizzy

If the BBC had won the bid to show the Ashes games live, then there is no doubt that cricket would have increased in popularity.
  11. Offline

Rizzy

One thing that did make the headlines and was on every show was the Pakistani no ball incident which made an appearance on most comedy and panel shows lol
  12. Offline

mmkextreme_1

Well I think the lesser following might be because of the amount of actual "English" players in the team :confused:

That is another interesting note that you need supscription to watch cricket in England..so English people can't watch there national team play free on a local channel or something? Or is Sky Sports huge anyway like ESPN here?

Haha that made me laugh a 30 second headlines is all that they could gave the people? I remember there was hardly any celebration...I remember when Pakistan won the WC..i saw videos of of Pakistani's in England! Also in Pakistan! I guess the patriotism is less :pAKISTAN:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. england cricket team nationalities

2. andrew strauss parents nationality

3. england cricket players not born in england

4. non english england cricketers,
  5. england cricketers not born in england,
  6. english cricketers not born in england,
  7. english cricket team nationalities,
  8. non-english cricketers for england,
  9. non english players england cricket team,
  10. england cricket team not english,
  11. nationalities of england cricket team,