Losing Interest in Pakistan Cricket?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

I remember there was a time when i used to watch all games live and their highlights. I used to stay awake all night for games and cricket was the only thing in my life but recently i have lost the passion.

Since WC 2011, i dont have the same passion and desire to watch Pakistan games and it is dying with every passing day, instead i will watch SouthAfrica,Nz and Australia games.

I still support Pakistan passionately but its just i cant be asked to watch these boring games anymore. Mostly i follow the score on cricinfo or here on cricistan but i hardly watch any game live now.

Reasons can be retirement of greats like Wasim,Waqar,Shoaib,Inzy and ofcourse the boring and defensive nature of this team.

So do you guys also feel the same? Or is it just me :unique
    ehtesham, karachigirl and Inswinger like this.
  2. Offline

1137moiz

I was genuinely sick and tired of it in 2007/08. I'd watch the games but with nowhere near the interest for games with South Africa, or Sri Lanka, or England, etc etc
    Mohsin likes this.
  3. Offline

Kashif

We all go through these phases. It happened to me after the Bob's death in the WC2007.

it's not easy being a Pakistani cricket fan :rolleyes:
  4. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

5. Offline

Shahid Afridi rulez

It's true, you do go through times where you think 'forget that' to a Pakistan game obviously because it's not the same as it used to be. I wasn't born in Imrans time but I for certain know that those times were much better. But if your a TRUE fan you would never let the passion go for Pakistan cricket and carry on watching it no matter what.
    Pak Fan, CricFanatic, Swinger and 2 others like this.
  6. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

7. Offline

Inswinger

Definitely. There was time when I wouldn't mid waking up at 2 AM to watch an entire match. Now, I usually prefer sleeping, unless we're playing India. A lot of factors have led to the change. Spotfixing saga, oathgate, and he lack of match winners like Inzi. We've become a boring team these days.
  8. Offline

Mohsin

Exactly my feelings PP....i used to wake up EARLY to watch Pakistan play (i remember when india toured Pakistan in 2006(?) i went to bed at like 9pm because i was gonna wake up at 5am for the first day of the first test...i actually woke up at 5am even though it was a school day (suffice to say, i was TIRED as hell by 11am sitting in class lol)

Now...i still passionately follow Pakistan cricket and cricket, but not to the same extent. If Zee are showing the cricket, i wont badger my dad to subscribe...i dont care tbh. Of course if its a WC/T20 WC then its different...then im 'on it' again lol
  9. Offline

Zeeraq

What do you mean:p ..... I just started following Cricket passionately after WC 2011:oops:
  10. Offline

iZeeshan

Oh man, I used to be CRAZY! I couldn't sleep before some games, or I'd wake up at 3:30 to watch and I'd watch nearly every ball unless I fell asleep because I was so tired.

After spot fixing saga, I genuinely gave up. My heart just wasn't in it. I barely knew when we were playing, and I checked Cricinfo one day and found out we had completed an entire series against the Zimbos!

Then Misbah started bringing the team together and we started winning and playing well, and I got back into it and actually watched the games. I thorougly enjoyed the T20 series. But now I'm not losing interest but rather just getting fed up with the cricket. There are just too many things wrong and the right players are not picked which really bothers me.
  11. Offline

AZK

no doubt there is a dearth of star players in the team that would put 'bums in seats' but I still follow the team quite keenly, especially since we are doing well in the Test arena.
    NO 1 AFRIDI FAN likes this.
  12. Online

Energy

Have never had a dull moment with this team no matter what came in the way. Still follow it like I used to as a little kid. Had a tear in my eye when we beat England in Abu Dhabi by not allowing them to knock off those 150 runs. Remember messaging @AZK straight after the game, what a moment it was!
  13. Offline

Bilal123

I have lost my passion for limited overs cricket. Anything can happen in the shorter formats and the best team does not necessarily win. I know most people find test cricket boring but to me it is by far the best form of cricket. The twists and turns every hour, session, day its so fun.
    I wish Pak played more tests especially considering how well they are doing in recent times
  14. Offline

ehtesham

i lost interest the day misbah took over n taufiq umar came back!! to add to that azhar ali, sohail tanveer n yasir arafat's selection sealed the deal!!
  15. Offline

HashiBaba

For me Pakistan cricket use to be an obsession as well as a passion. Now it is just a passion.

I would say between 2003 and 2007, I probably didn't miss a single match. Sometimes I stayed up all night to watch it. When I wasn't watching it, I was thinking about it, dreaming about it, eating it, sleeping it, drinking it.....basically my entire life revolved around Pakistan cricket.

But things were different then. I was a student until 2005, after that I didn't really have a stable job (more just here and there stuff) nor any real responsibilities. So I could afford to stay up all night watching cricket, I could afford to spend 3 hours on PakPassion in the evening, I could afford to do all these things.

I'm 28 now. I have a stable (touch wood) job, I have a life basically. I simply practically cannot stay up all night watching cricket now. Not unless it's a weekend or I'm on holiday and usually I'm physically exhausted on weekends and holidays, can't even remember them. But basically I have many other things to think about now.

My point is not everybody can immerse themselves in something for ever. We all have to get on with our lives. I still love Pakistan cricket. My passion and love have been tested on numerous occasions....Ireland defeat, spot fixing, oathgate for example but short term shots in the arm aside, the pain has always withered away eventually.

I still love The Pakistan. I still feel hurt when we lose and pride when we win. That will never change. Remember, we are Pakistani. Cricket is not a sport. It's in our blood!
  16. Offline

tanveers

I have the same feelings. I follow Pakistan Cricket matches but am no longer an avid live viewer. :good
  17. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

No wonder you didnt post for so long.

Welcome back to forums.
  18. Online

Aunty Virus

True, i may not be too interested now a days but i do love pakistan cricket. One amazing performance and i am back watching them play.

I have tried to get away from it, but its in the blood, cant stop liking pakistan cricket!
    Swinger likes this.
  19. Offline

Zeeraq

That was the start for me, quite a bad start yet to see the Golden Days.
  20. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

For me it Cricket was everything when i was younger, I remember very fondly that Pakistan Vs India series in 2004 and used to wake up very early for the games and was not dissapointed because the quality of cricket was really high, the greatest ODI i ever saw was in that Series, the First ODI in Karachi was just a outstanding game.

Then you had the Greats slowly starting to retire and move on. I always had the urge to watch Pakistan play, but since that T/20 World cup loss to India in the final i started to lose Interest, then Ofcourse you had Mohali and the Spot Fixing were i just started to Rapidly lose interest.

Since then i been trying to get myself back into Cricket by watching Pakistan and taking a keen interest, but it just isn't at the quality it used to be and this squad isn't all that exciting to watch except our bowling.

There are other reasons i have started to lose interest in it slightly, This IPL i think is ruining cricket on the whole and theres less interest being put into the Proper format Test Cricket.

It is boring watching Pakistan play the Shorter formats, but i still have keen and eager interest in the Test matches. I will most likely always watch Pakistan or check the scores, but by no way is my interest as much as it once was, and that's just down to the lack of quality from Pakistan.
  21. Offline

Saein

Yeah boring, specially when we lose a toss and the team had to chase in the second innings. That pretty much sets the game and hence no desire to watch the pain
  22. Offline

Geordie Ahmed

Pretty much this

I certainly don't "follow" it like I used to. Previously if Pakistan were playing, if I could not watch the match I would constantly check the score on my phone and struggle to sleep. If a match was happening whilst I was asleep then there was a very good chance I would be dreaming about the match BUT now that doesn't really happen
    Cover Drive likes this.
  23. Offline

Cover Drive

Agree with this, I would always be giving up my sleep for matches but now I don't bother scarifying my sleep really.

I haven't watched the two ODIs from start really, woke up at my regular hour and watched from there.

However, I profusely enjoy watching test matches especially if Pakistan is playing in England, Australia or New Zealand. For that I sacrifice my sleep :)
  24. Offline

nazimcricket

It might have more to do with my current workload, but I haven't watched any cricket at all for probably 6 months. Have checked scores etc on cricinfo a bit, but I even went to the effort of cancelling my Satellite Sports package subscription, as I've not been watching t.v. at all of late.

I will start watching again though if I hear of any NEW class players joining the team. I'm sure I'm not missing much if Sami is back in the fold :fp
  25. Offline

Swinger

I was heartbroken after the spot-fixing saga and promised I'd stop putting so much emotional attachment to a team of cheaters and underperformers. I stopped checking cricinfo (a site I used to check more often than Facebook), stopped talking about it to my friends and decided to follow non-Pakistan sports like football...

I lasted exactly a week. We came back strongly in the ODIs and I couldn't help but watch Umar Gul york his way to English destruction with Afridi leading the side.

No matter what Pakistan cricket throws at you, the true fan is not capable of distancing himself from Team Pakistan. Not when it gets "boring", not when the star players leave and not when the team betrays your trust.

Its the easiest thing in the world to support a team that always plays exciting cricket with superstar players and keeps winning. The true test of a fan is where he is when his team isn't doing well.
    NO 1 AFRIDI FAN and 1137moiz like this.
  26. Offline

ASLI-PATHAN

I am watching Pakistan Cricket since most of you were not even born. Still my passion for the game is the same but due to work and family sometimes I even forget that Pakistan is playing. But whenever I get chance I never miss a Pakistan's game even with this boring team.
  27. Offline

nazimcricket

That's commitment for ya!

The last time the team sparked my interest was when Shoaib Akhtar was in full-flight and then again when Aamir came on to the scene. Since then, it's been downhill all the way!
  28. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

You are bound to lose interest when your upcoming batsman is Muhammad Ayub. :(
  29. Offline

karachigirl

I'm losing interest now.

This team is so uninspiring, the selections are messed up, team politics and other things being key factors.
    Passionate Pakistani likes this.
  30. Offline

1137moiz

31. Offline

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

Still not losing interest. What's the point of supporting your team when they're filled with exciting players and what not, but then not support them in these times? I'm a true fan and will continue to support my team till my last breath. I'll support them through thick and thin, no matter what.
  32. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

^^ losing interest doesnt mean you are not following/supporting them.

I still want them to win but just cant be asked to watch the game.

As if you were watching all test match.
  33. Offline

ehtesham

taufiq :fp hafeez :fp azhar :fp

what else one can do, other than losing interest!!
  34. Offline

1137moiz

Days like this is why the interest lingers. Vattay stand
  35. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

True...
  36. Online

Aunty Virus

Come World T20, and few good games all these men and women will be glued to their tv/streams!
    HashiBaba likes this.
  37. Offline

Passionate Pakistani

This is my last tournament, after WC I will retire permanently from following Pakistan Cricket and posting on these forums. Its just not the same anymore...

I hope Pakistan somehow win this cup so i can finish it off on a high note as well :p
    shahrukh619 likes this.
  38. Offline

Don Corleone

• Being A Pakistani is a rollercoaster ride.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooo
  39. Offline

shahrukh619

thank god
  40. Offline

ASLI-PATHAN

And why will you retire?