India: The most successful ODI chasing team in history

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Strength Is Life, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Offline

Strength Is Life

With their incredible 9 wicket victory over Australia, India once again cemented their position as the best chasing team in the history of ODI cricket. The fact that they chased a scored of 360 for the loss of just one wicket and in just 43.3 overs reasserted the confidence of the Indian batting in chasing.
    This is the second best ODI chase ever behind South Africa's magical chase of 434.

The following is the list of the top 8 elite ODI teams and their chasing records with their Win/Loss ratio's. The list only has matches wherein chasing teams have had to score more than 300 to win.

TEAM--------PLAYED--------WON---------LOST------TIE------W/L

India----------20------------------14---------------06-------00--------2.33

Sri Lanka-----11------------------ 07--------------04--------00-------1.75

Pakistan-----09-------------------05--------------04--------00-------1.25

N.Zealand---08-------------------03--------------04--------01-------0.75

South Africa-06-------------------04-------------02--------00--------2.00

England-----05-------------------02--------------02--------01--------1.00

Australia----04-------------------04--------------00-------00---------N/A

West Indies-03------------------01----------------02-------00--------0.50

• Conversely it is to be noted that --with India it also means they also have a very mediocre bowling which makes their batsmen chase scores above 300 a lot. India had to chase scores of above 300 --20 times in its history emerging victorious 14 times. That is a lot of strain on the batting to be honest.
    • Australia now has the worst record defending scores over 300 as the top 4 big run chases have come against their bowling attacks. South Africa chased 434, India chased 359, New Zealand twice chased 346 and 336 respectively against Australia and these are the top 4 run chases in ODI history.
    • I have a slightly different view on these run chases compared perhaps to other view points. Chasing these mammoth scores is not easy. There is a thing called score board pressure, it's not always easy to chase a score above 300. And I also disagree with the notion that these games are boring to watch, these games may not be good for the overall health of cricket but I certainly enjoy watching them. A lot of Pakistani's just a few weeks back ranked the 2004 Karachi Indo-Pak game as one of their favorite Indo-Pak games. That was also a high-scoring game as Pakistan was chasing a score of 350 similar to today's game. But it is the way a game progresses which makes it interesting. Both were flat tracks but that India Pakistan game had a certain ebb and flow with the game being decided on the very last ball. Here credit to the Indian batsmen, they never looked under any pressure chasing such a mammoth score. They made it look easy and thus might give an impression that it was an easy chase but it was not.
    • Overall an outstanding run chase today. Second best ever. Well done to the Indian batsmen.
    cricfreak likes this.
  2. Offline

Omar

First of all, Congrats @Strength Is Life and others on India's win today.

India's batting has always been strong and no doubt even with not selecting Gambhir, Sehwag etc; they have the players to replace them with.

Rohit Sharma is one who's always been one I have followed as I see him as a good player who has had his fair amount of ups and downs but with this opener role he's starting to ease into his game and play accordingly.

Bowling has and will be an issue and should look to get Zaheer Khan back in as an experienced bowler.
    Strength Is Life likes this.
  3. Offline

s2k

TBH i would have taken a loss today had it meant the end of Vinay and Ishant.

Why cant selectors understand that VK has nothing to make him an international bowler and that Ishant is brainless.

Give youngsters a chance.Yadav Shukla Mohit Ishwar Shami Warrier Suyal all deserve a chance ahesd of these two failures.But then again Srini and his politicking.
    cricfreak likes this.
  4. Offline

Bruce Wayne

Today's match was fixed.
  5. Offline

1137moiz

Definitely amazing chasers especially in the past 10 years. I generally don't like such high-scoring games but I have to say this was an astonishing feat, much like Kohli's 133 last year vs SL. No shortage of talent especially in the one-day game among their batsmen

Not a surprise to see Ishant Sharma (like most of today's bowlers) get spanked, but the surprise was when I checked to see his recent performances, he's actually done quite well in one-dayers in 2013. Had a very good series vs Pakistan and despite being otherwise expensive has picked up wickets
  6. Offline

1137moiz

• @Strength Is Life I agree about the scoreboard pressure. Quite often such games can be thrillers. But recently--well not that much in the past 3-4 years, but happened a lot in the 2000s--it became quite predictable watching 300 being scored and sometimes chased with ease. The frequency of such games. But no doubt about the intense pressure and here the mental fortitude and attacking attitude of the batsmen has to be credited.
    Strength Is Life and Bruce Wayne like this.
  7. Offline

Aunty Virus

Great batting side in ODI's in the last ten years.
  8. Offline

WaQaReD!

no coincidence that in Indias 2 highest ever run chases - Kohli scored in a century in both outings
    as far as I know, Kohli has 4 odi centuries when chasing a target of over 300 - I doubt anyone has ever done that?
    16 odi centuries and not even 25 yet

Users found this page by searching for:

1. most 300 runs in odi by a team

2. how many time india chase 300 plus

3. most 300 runs in odi

4. how many times india chased more than 300,
  5. most 300 plus scores in odi by a team,
  6. how many times india chased 300,
  7. Most 300 Plus in ODI Cricket ,
  8. most time 300 runs in odi,
  9. team which has chased 300 more ,