How good is the current Australian ODI side?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Energy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Offline

Energy

Things have not been the same ever since McGrath and Warne hung up their boots along with Hayden, Gilchrist and more recently Ponting but they have found fresh blood in Warner, Watson and Johnson to carry forward something if not the best legacy.

With the likes of Hussey and Lee in the latter stages of their careers, how good exactly is the current Aussie coloured clothed outfit? Recent results have been a mixed bag with getting beaten comprehensively by England, and levelling with the Windies after winning the Commonwealth Bank Series at home against Sri Lanka and India.

Is the domination of the old completely vanished or they still a force to reckon with?
  2. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

If any side in the world lost players like Mcgrath, Warne, Gilchrist you would expect them not to be as good as previously were, the Australians are no different. You can't just expect to find Greats all the time to replace Greats of the game.

They have been far past there Dominance for a long time now, the new players they have are nothing but ordinary and im really not suprised there getting the treatment from England which they are. Lee is long gone past his best and we expect him to move on soon. Hussey seem's to be in and out and i think he won't be around for much longer now, and they are two guys who are keeping Austrailia what they are.

There bowling lacks anything Special especially in the spin department. Doherty is the average spinner who won't turn it much and will just keep bowling heaps off overs before picking up wickets, And there batting is just not up to scratch im afraid. I don't rate Warner as highly as others seem to do, and think he is nothing special. Watson and Clarke seem to carry the Austrailian batting, but you can't expect 2guys to keep pileing on Respectable scores. They are also much like Pakistan in having a Keeper-Batsmen issue.

Just to show there batting woes, in the 2nd ODI vs England they had Steven Smith coming in at 6 ahead of Keeper Wade.

Batting on the whole is not the same, and much the same with there bowling.

I'll round it up by saying this Austrailian side is average at best.
    Energy likes this.
  3. Online

Passionate Pakistani

I dont agree with @RapidSnake29 about their bowling attack.

Its just most of their bowlers are injured otherwise they have a good batch of fast bowlers.

Hilfenhaus
    Siddle
    Harris
    Pattinson
    Starc

All of them are very talented and can be lethal on their days.
  4. Offline

Energy

Was anyone a fan of Gillespie here? I thought he was extremely effective and a touch underrated but unfortunately prone to injury.
  5. Online

Passionate Pakistani

Yeah he was very good especially at home.

Another under rated bowler of that era was Michael Kasprowicz
    Energy likes this.
  6. Offline

Victorious Pakistan

@Passionate Pakistani, You say:
    Any Cricketer can be lethal on there "Day".

Now, let me start by saying, i said in my post above, "There bowling lacks anything special Especially in the spin department". In the players you named, which are:
    You didn't name one spinner, which means you tend to agree with my statement about that and shows there Attack is far to one sided towards Fast bowlers.

Now i agree Hilfenhaus is a good bowler in almost all conditions and i have rated him highly for a while now, but Starc and Pattinson are young players with some decent experiance now, and i don't seem to recall them pulling off any major spells? (Correct me if im wrong). Siddle is injured aswell as Harris as you say, but even them were not real team killers and i tend to think Age is not on there side either now. Austrailia is looking for fresh youngster's, yes they have some upcoming ones such as the ones you named above and Cummins, but these guys don't seem to frighten any batting line up, hence i stated they are a average bowling attack, And that has been seen here in England vs England.
  7. Offline

Omar

I don't see how they've got the likes of Bailey and Forrest ahead of Callum Ferguson or even Cameron White for that matter as they've got better averages and SR's in the ODI format than the two current ones playing in the series against England.

I can see one of them is playing due to Michael Hussey being away and making the team but even to say having Bailey as T20 captain to me initially was quite absurd with Clarke around how could they have done so or IIRC, White was their T20 captain before they made Bailey the captain.

Still for me, Bailey and Forrest don't make it to the ODI side.
  8. Offline

Energy

@Omar you're absolutely right about Ferguson. Looks a very solid middle order bat, busy player and will hopefully have a big career.
  9. Offline

Omar

He's averaging in the 40's and SR's above 80 in his 30 ODI's, so can't understand why he's not in the side ahead of someone like Forrest who's even averaging less than 30 in his List A appearances let alone his ODI's appearances for Australia where he's averaging under 30 and SR in the 60's.
  10. Offline

Bruce Wayne

I'd take half of this Australian side and put it in the Pakistan team, That's how good it still is. Not quite the dominant force it once was obviously as that side was legendary and arguably the greatest ODI team everbecause back then if someone was injured they'd have someone equally as good to replace him. However now its not the same case, Its still young and with that comes injuries so they'll get better. Experimenting here and there at times. Let's not forget they are still the No.1 side after all.
  11. Offline

Omar

What's quite strong for this current Australian side is their fast bowling - Having 3-4 pacers who can hit over 90mph consistently is good to have with the likes of the young Pattinson, Cummins and then the more experienced and re-innovated Hilfenhaus, the old timer Brett Lee, McKay, Johnson and then having Siddle, Bollinger in the reserves.
  12. Offline

1137moiz

Lots of promising quicks but a long tail, underachieving batsmen. I agree about Ferguson, he looked a class act and was unlucky to be injured through 2010/11. When he came back he had one or two poor games and was dropped sadly. White was a good player but also suffered for a form slump. Nought against Forrest, Bailey who are decent but those chaps are better
  13. Offline

Shahzad.Firdous

they got some gud pacers in cummins, tait, lee, jhonson, siddle, hilfenhaus, bollinger